Wrist Pain

Thread: Wrist Pain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Wrist Pain

Over the past few weeks, Iíve been getting wrist pain during and after long rides. Specifically, it is tendonitis, between my wrist and forearm, on the outside of my wrist, the ulnar side, from the bony knob on my ulna to about two inches above my forearm.

I recently built up a new bike, and I matched the measurements to my other bike: saddle height, fore aft, stem height. However, the new bike has zipp 70 handlebars, which have a 70 mm reach. My other bike has specialized tarmac handlebars which have an 85 mm reach. With the shorter reach, I can reach the hoods and shift is more easily, but Iím wondering if this is causing extra strain on my wrist.

Iím attaching pictures of the bars. Let me know if they are set up wrong. The black ones on the new bars, the white ones are the old ones.

image.jpg

AF6C5D29-97A3-40EE-A5BA-705EF1830B10.jpg

A081DADA-EDB3-46EE-BCF3-09CD74A50EB2.jpg

359A5118-BB70-4960-BD3C-7E34985845B3.jpg
    Last edited by TiCoyote; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any difference in stem length between the two? Holding everything else the same, shorter reach will put your wrist at a more acute angle, and that can cause problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The stem is the same length, but the new one is 8deg and the old one is 6 deg. I put an extra 5mm spacer below the stem to compensate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post

I recently built up a new bike, and I matched the measurements to my other bike: saddle height, fore aft, stem height. However, the new bike has zipp 70 handlebars, which have a 70 mm reach. My other bike has specialized tarmac handlebars which have an 85 mm reach. With the shorter reach, I can reach the hoods and shift is more easily, but Iím wondering if this is causing extra strain on my wrist.
    You didn't matched the measurements if you changed the reach to the shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    The stem is the same length, but the new one is 8deg and the old one is 6 deg. I put an extra 5mm spacer below the stem to compensate.
    Reach difference alone between old and new is 15mm, enough to make a noticeable difference on your wrist and shoulders. You can perhaps play with your saddle adjustments as long as it doesn't mess up your knee position. If that doesn't work, you might be looking at a longer stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like the heal of your hand is on the bars solidly on the old set up and not so much on the new one. What I am seeing looks like a pretty significant difference between the two set ups.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You didn't matched the measurements if you changed the reach to the shifters.
    This. If you want to make adjustments to your previous geo thatís cool, but do it after a ton of miles on as close to a replicated geo as possible on the new bike with all systems working fine. Very small differences effect me a very lot. Maybe Iím uniquely sensitive.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What I am seeing looks like a pretty significant difference between the two set ups. The old bars with the white tape appear to be rotated downward a bit more than the bars with the black tape and the reach to the shifters look to be in different locations... therefore putting your hands/wrist in two different positions
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Your hoods are rolled down further on the bike with the white bar tape. On the other bike they are nearly flat at the same angle as the stem.

This will change your wrist angle significantly.