Wrist pain HELP!!!
    Unrepentant Mountainbiker

Wrist pain HELP!!!

Now that I have you in here, this is the situation.

My wife injured her wrist over the summer and despite multiple rounds of PT, and repeated visits to the DR. the pain persists. She has been given a brace that does help, and she has been encouraged to use it while performing any activity which puts stress on her wrist. One of those activities is CYCLING. She experiences pain on both the MTNbike, and Roadbike. The problem is that her wrist brace covers most of the palm and makes it difficult to grip the bars with that hand. So much so, that she just doesn't wear it as it is more dangerous to ride with it.

So, here is my question. Does any body know of a wrist brace that would not intrude so much into her palm? Are there any devices made specifically for cycling?

Any help on this would be great. She is starting to get geeked out about riding, and this is becoming a real problem.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Is it getting better?

I'm sorry that this doesn't answer your question directly - I would suggest you talk to the Dr. or PT about finding a different brace. It seems like they would have a catalog of options.

The question I would ask is whether your wife's wrist is getting better. If it is improving, however slowly, then it is likely she can deal with the pain via gritted teeth, being careful, or pain killers. The wrist brace certainly helps get through the day, but it also then requires some sort of weaning process to get back to full functionality. I've had injuries and/or pains that have taken literally months to recover. At times, it seems like it never will get better, but when I think about it, indeed there is steady progress. As long as that progress continues, my tendency is to let things heal on their own time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Wrist braces

It just so happens i took a job organizing the basement of an orthopaedic office. I stocked all of their various gizmos ionto new shelving. While I was stocking, I saw wrist braces which were made out of ace-bandage like material. I do not remember what they were called, but they do exist!

Ken (NJ)

Her PT is the one who suggested a cycling specific brace

She claims that they are made, but nobody here in ND has ever seen one. So, I was hoping to take advantage of the vast knowledge available here to find a source for one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freezin_is_the_reason
    She claims that they are made, but nobody here in ND has ever seen one. So, I was hoping to take advantage of the vast knowledge available here to find a source for one.
    How did she injure her wrist? Are we talking about some kind of impact or fracture or something? Unless she's a really a dedicated cyclist I'd say give it a rest and run/walk or swim. I've never heard of or seen the kind of brace you describe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Aero Bars?

Not that you want a triathlete in the family, but they certainly take a lot of weight off the wrists. If cycling exacerbates the problem, I'd do something else. If it's just uncomfortable, I'd take some Vitamin I and ride.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Wink Wife here,to explain injury

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    How did she injure her wrist? Are we talking about some kind of impact or fracture or something? Unless she's a really a dedicated cyclist I'd say give it a rest and run/walk or swim. I've never heard of or seen the kind of brace you describe.

Ok,don't laugh now.lol

I was rough housing with my 3 yr old threw her up in the air, when she came down.She must have landed wrong with my wrist. I hear a snap,and major pain. This happened last July.

The pain has gotten better,I can at least do some things.But with most things like lifting,carrying,typing,roating,and just having my hand palm up hurts majorly. I haven't been to pt yet,it was my reg, dr. said he knows that they make this wrist brace. Just a matter of finding this darn thing.lol

I feel like I hit a rut now.I want to get back on my bike,but it really starts to massively by 5miles.

So if anyone can help.please! I need all the help I can get.lol

Thanks!
    Diana

remodeling...me

Got it..have some myself

I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and experience pain and numbness while riding. I have the kind of brace you are looking for.Check the phone book for a medical supply place near you, mine is a pharmacy that also sells medical supplies like wheelchairs and hospital beds, crutches and braces. These places usually have a number of different types of wrist braces. One of these will be an elastic band that velcro's around the wrist. In my experience of buying them for the last 4 years they have no special name. And they are fairly cheap, it works great and was recommended to me by my doctor as well as others with carpal tunnel, works well.
    Good Luck to your wife hope she heals fast and well.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569