Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    12 will become the new industry standard within a few years (My prediction). Sram is getting ready to release there's and Shimano will follow within a year. A couple years later 11 speed won't be available on higher end groups
    I really don't see this as progress, but at least maybe my Campy 11s cassettes and chains will get cheaper

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    12 will become the new industry standard within a few years (My prediction). Sram is getting ready to release there's and Shimano will follow within a year. A couple years later 11 speed won't be available on higher end groups
    Well, its always onward and upward in the bike industry. Stiffer, lighter, more gears ... I rode 9-speed Dura Ace from it's inception until Dura Ace was 11-speed. I missed 10-speed altogether. I plan to keep on riding my 11-speed bikes, probably until the 13-speed stuff comes out, because I hate riding groups with an even number of gears.

Seriously ... how thin can chains get before they really screw it up and increase the rear spacing on bike frames? It's not progress, its an attempt to keep selling people stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Went today to my lbs to place an order for the 11v record “old” and the guy comes out with a much cheaper price for the new 12v record. I mean...it’s either an admission that the new 12v record is a “cheapo” group or maybe at Campagnolo HQs are all getting high before talking marketing and pricing...
    This is a supply chain choice - Campagnolo are not involved in it.

Pricing published by Campagnolo for a full group RE12v and RE11v is almost the same.

There's no cheap "Made in Romania" option - the price is the price ... in point of fact, which factory makes any given part of any given group doesn't really change in any model year, it's more about the processes involved. Some processes are always done in Italy, some in Romania ... the "Made In ..." refers to the finishing processes that add the bulk of the value to the component - the individual parts may have been made in more than one country.
    HTH
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Nationally recognised & accredited training for cycle mechanics
    Main Campagnolo SC UK
    NB - Please don't PM me here, please email to velotechcycling"at" aim"dot"com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I really don't see this as progress, but at least maybe my Campy 11s cassettes and chains will get cheaper
    I'm just forecasting - not saying it's good or bad. Can't say I like planned obsolescence really.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Funny you should say that -- my plastic bike is 20 times more costly than my steel bike as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12