Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

WTF campagno prices : 12s record cheaper than 11s record

Went today to my lbs to place an order for the 11v record “old” and the guy comes out with a much cheaper price for the new 12v record. I mean...it’s either an admission that the new 12v record is a “cheapo” group or maybe at Campagnolo HQs are all getting high before talking marketing and pricing...
    Last edited by Devastazione; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Remember that money only makes sense if you want it to make sense.

I remember years ago, my old VW came with plastic wheel bolt dress covers that cost more than the actual steel bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Once you decide to buy Campy Record, you agree to forget all price concerns!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a Record player once but believe it was 110v and not 12v. Maybe the battery version is cheaper?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Care to share the prices you were quoted (and for which parts exactly)?
    Maybe it's just your LBS? (or even some misunderstanding?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I had a Record player once but believe it was 110v and not 12v. Maybe the battery version is cheaper?
    Lol..sorry,still speaking italian. I meant speed of course/velocità..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Lol..sorry,still speaking italian. I meant speed of course/velocità..
    I ride Campy and interested in what you were quoted and from where. I know buying Campy parts out of the UK or even off ebay in America is quite inexpensive...or at least comparable to what I consider lesser groupsets.

So please share more if you would...numbers and where you got your quote from.
    Where you purchase Campy matters a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I ride Campy and interested in what you were quoted and from where. I know buying Campy parts out of the UK or even off ebay in America is quite inexpensive...or at least comparable to what I consider lesser groupsets.

So please share more if you would...numbers and where you got your quote from.
    Where you purchase Campy matters a lot.

I live in italy and went to my LBS yesterday. I could care less for the new 12s,I really wanted the 11 speed record. The final price after discount for the old 11S was Euro 1950 while for the 12s it came to a weird 1690 euro,wich is more or less what you can score online on our europeans websites. You can even get it for a 100 euro cheaper but I'd rather leave the money to my shop since groups transplants will be done free of charge like the eventual tune ups I'll eventually need ( touching wood).
    And no,it was not a misunderstanding, the guy locked himself in the shop this morning before the opening time just have time enough to doublecheck again and again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just checked and 12S Record is 1329 Euro over here (in Holland).
    Cheap Romanian imports I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    bingo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    And my lbs called me to offer me the 12s SR at euro 2150 instead of 2350. Definitely some romanian crap. Actually if one gets stuff made in Romania or Italy it may just be a shot of luck...
    Last edited by Devastazione; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    And my lbs called me to offer me the 12s SR at euro 2150 instead of 2350. Definitely some romanian crap. Actually if One gets stuff made in Romania or Italy it may just be a shot of luck...
    Only the lower end stuff is made in Romania.

Maybe everyone is tired of more and more cogs and thinner and thinner chains. Has to end somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A campy-phile concerned with a price decrease. Maybe it is a sign of quality slippage but until that's known I'll just appreciate the concern for it's comic value.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    A campy-phile concerned with a price decrease. Maybe it is a sign of quality slippage but until that's known I'll just appreciate the concern for it's comic value.
    For some people, it's not what they buy that matters, but how much they spend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Campy-phile my @ss. More like first timer here. I just couldn’t stand anymore to have shimano on my Colnago C64. It felt like sugar on french fries,whiskey in a plastic cup,lobster with parmesan..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Campy-phile my @ss. More like first timer here. I just couldn’t stand anymore to have shimano on my Colnago C64. It felt like sugar on french fries,whiskey in a plastic cup,lobster with parmesan..
    It's getting funnier.

Banned forever.....or not
    Maybe the price is lower because nobody is buying 12 speed over 11 speed? With the only cassettes being available as an 11-29 or an 11-32, maybe not that many people ride in the high mountains.....A 12 speed 12-25 cassette would be interesting.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I was hoping for a 12sp 12-29, with a 29 added to the current 12-27.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yesterday I saw a guy with a C64 Disc with Campy hydro disc group. Damn those shifters with their obnoxious reservoirs are the ugliest things. I hope you're going mechanical!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I was informed this week by a manufacturer that we will see prices dropping as most industry leaders agreed a ceiling had been reached and was now less profitable. Lowering prices slightly will now seem like a deal after sticker shock had been at an all time high

This means a downward trend for pricing ... to a point

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Only the lower end stuff is made in Romania.

Maybe everyone is tired of more and more cogs and thinner and thinner chains. Has to end somewhere.
    That's what they said with 9 speed. I wonder how many riders who switched to 11 speed ever went back to 10 (riders: people who climb and descend mountain passes on bicycles)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Super Record is now lower end stuff?

I know this is RBR but still, who knew

Attachment 324196

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yesterday I saw a guy with a C64 Disc with Campy hydro disc group. Damn those shifters with their obnoxious reservoirs are the ugliest things. I hope you're going mechanical!
    Indeed I am ! I thought Sram had the award for the ugliest ones in the industry but Campagnolo wins hands down...

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the US, 6 piece Record 12s is ~$1900 off ebay and 6 piece Record 11s is ~ $1500 or so.

Many of us long time Campy guys mix and match. I tend to buy piece meal because its cheaper. Sweet spot is Chorus. I run Chorus shifters with other derailleurs which are all Al like Athena...maybe a Chorus front derailleur. I also run Utegra 11s cassettes with same spacing as 11s Campy. Shimano wheelsets are more available.

So I find if you buy part by part off Ebay and/or out of the UK you can build a good Campy group for relatively modest money.

I have no desire for 12s. Maybe in 5 years or so when 12s becomes more passé.
    But why pay a premium for yet another cog and more narrow chain? I also own 10s Campy and truthfully, I notice no difference in having another cog for 11s. Once 10s came along, I believe in back that is all the gears one needs provided the right cassette and crank is chosen for overall gearing based upon terrain ridden.

12s is just more marketing to extoll more money selling more product by creating a niche to separate from the competition to consumers who don't know any different. If 11s and 12s is the same price there 'may' be a compelling reason to go 12 speed for another gear in back. But 11s can be purchased much cheaper I believe if 'buying right' and shopping around individual parts like shifters, derailleur, Chorus or Record crankset etc....not lumped groupset pricing. My experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    12 will become the new industry standard within a few years (My prediction). Sram is getting ready to release there's and Shimano will follow within a year. A couple years later 11 speed won't be available on higher end groups
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast