X-mas Day Ride, Corona CA

Sep 2005

X-mas Day Ride, Corona CA

Hey,

My wife and I are coming to Corona CA for Christmas. We are looking for a great road ride, 30~40 miles on Christmas morning, 2005.

We are staying in a development off the 15, just west of the 91. I'm not familiar with the area, I can't even tell you what exit off the 15 we're staying at.

Back roads, loanly canyon and mountian roads preferred.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Phil & Lisa Lee
    Soquel, CA

Apr 2000
    I'm not sure of the actual mileage, especially since I don't know what your actual starting point would be, but you could head west from Corona through Santa Ana Canyon on the bike path that parallels the 91 freeway, then head through Yorba Linda, Placentia and Fullerton, returning east through Carbon Canyon. The Santa Ana Cyn leg passes through the Chino Hills wilderness area; when you go through Yorba Linda etc you'll be passing through typical O.C. tract housing and businesses (and at least one large, pleasant park). It's all paved, mostly civilized and flat. Going through Carbon Canyon will give you the winding, climbing, rural aspect, with the caveat that there can be some drivers that go through there too fast for the narrow road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Lake Mathews

It's been a couple years since I've been in the area (I.E. transplant). However, my recommendation is Cajalco Rd., a few miles south of Corona. It can be reached from the 15 south (Cajalco exit!). The road climbs east towards Lake Mathews which is a semi-rural community that surrounds a lake with restricted access. The roads in the area (La Sierra, El Sobrante, Cajalco) s/b lightly traveled on Christmas, though be aware that the speed limit isn't often observed. Topography is rolling hills. Nothing extreme. Map it out for a decent loop.

Sep 2005
    Tumbleweed...DUDE! This is just what we were looking for! We're staying at a place just off Eagle Glenn, which turns into Cajalco-but you probably know that.

Anyway, that's an old training ride I used to do with a bike club called Velo Avante back in 1989/90/91...something like that. We would ride from Fullerton to do "Lake Mathews".

Thanks.

Philburt!