RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Question Your Favorite Riding Gloves Are...

I've been trying to find a replacement for my favorite riding glove: The Louis Garneau 1 Calory Glove. There's nothing special about the glove other than:

• They're inexpesive
    • They have loops between two of the fingers that make them easy to pull off
    • They're inexpensive
    • They get the job done
    • They're inexpensive

For a while, I was able to get them for around $10, which seems like a steal these days. However, I'm assuming LG must not make them any more as I can't find them in men's size XL anywhere, putting me in the market for a new (inexpensive) glove.

So... What's your favorite riding glove (and why)? Please provide a link the where they can be purchased if you're so inclined

RoadBikeReview Member
    My favorite gloves are the ones I'm wearing.

I've actually stopped a ride to return home to get forgotten gloves.

Dunno if they're the same as in the past, but I've mostly used Pearl Izumi.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho...entials_gloves

Neophyte
    Giro Monaco gloves.

Hold up well, easy to get off the hand with the finger tabs, look good. Almost always available at a good price, you can often find previous year colors on clearance.

Giro Monaco.

gazing from the shadows
    I won't give brand advice, because every time I buy gloves the brands I like seem to change.

Giro is worth checking. I generally have liked Giro products, and the pair of full fingered gloves I found on the trail and mended (crash blown seams but no fabric tearing was my take on them) seem nice.

Gloves, for me, are a try on item. A bad seam can make for a miserable ride.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    * Deleted *

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I won't give brand advice, because every time I buy gloves the brands I like seem to change.
    Hehe... that's how I am with food. My wife and I like healthy food and as soon as we start buying something we like, the store or restaurant stops selling that item

Anyway, I like Pearl Izumi and Giro, so I'll look into them. My penny pincher is just a little disappointed that both companies want quite a bit of money for their gloves that don't appear to be all that special. Hopefully I can find a sale on them somewhere as I'd like a few pairs. With winter coming, I ride indoors a lot and get very sweaty during each ride, so I like to have a pile of gloves to choose from so I don't have to do laundry several times a week!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Hmm... while looking for Giro gloves on Amazon, I might've found my new favorite gloves. They definitely aren't as fancy as the Giro Monaco gloves, but they have the finger loops, a swell price, and aren't sold-out in any size the Giros are (on Amazon)...

NEXTOUR Bike Glove $9.99 - $11.99

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like non padded gloves. Been wearing Giro Hoxton that I got on sale,
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I won't give brand advice, because every time I buy gloves the brands I like seem to change.......

......Gloves, for me, are a try on item. A bad seam can make for a miserable ride.
    ^This.^

Also, I don't like gloves with loops as they can get caught on things at the most inconvenient times. It's really not that difficult to pull gloves off without these.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^This.^

Also, I don't like gloves with loops as they can get caught on things at the most inconvenient times. It's really not that difficult to pull gloves off without these.
    You can also just pull them off/turn them inside out... then put them on again and do it again. Keeps the gloves in good shape.

I don't do that! No way. But it does stop deformation from pulling on the fingers.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I hear what you're all saying about the loops.. I thought I'd hate them at first and didn't realize my first pair of LG gloves had them. However, I like 'em and don't have issues with them catching on things... and I get slightly annoyed by having to turn my gloves inside-out and then back to outside-in (ur, the other way around!)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I'm digging way back here, but it seems like there are only a few plants in the world producing nearly all of the form-fitting gloves you'll ever see...that includes biking gloves, mechanics gloves, and other tactical style gloves. Viewing gloves through that lens, I bought some amazing Craftsman light-duty work gloves 7 or 8 years ago that are still going strong for me...form fitting and breathable, and with some slight padding on the palm that works nice on my road bike and my MTB.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I'm digging way back here, but it seems like there are only a few plants in the world producing nearly all of the form-fitting gloves you'll ever see...that includes biking gloves, mechanics gloves, and other tactical style gloves. Viewing gloves through that lens, I bought some amazing Craftsman light-duty work gloves 7 or 8 years ago that are still going strong for me...form fitting and breathable, and with some slight padding on the palm that works nice on my road bike and my MTB.
    All my full fingered gloves are mechanics gloves with varying degrees of insulation. I like them because they have good finger dexterity and are about as warm as anything besides mittens and ski gloves.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also like inexpensive, and I like the old-style crochet backs. I can usually find something on sale cheap at Nashbar, Performance or similar. I generally buy two pair at a time, so I have a second pair to wear while one pair is being washed/dried. Alternating that way, two pairs last me at least a couple of years, sometimes longer. The inexpensive ones seem to come from Pakistan lately. I think they eat a lot of goats there.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I also like inexpensive, and I like the old-style crochet backs.
    The Giro Siv gloves look nice 'n retro and are real good for giving you that "biker tan" with the big circle on your hand

banned
    Nov 2009
    i don't wear half fingered gloves.

never got the reason for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    i don't wear half fingered gloves.

never got the reason for them.
    … a bit of cushion for the palms without risking contaminating fingers of glove with Cheetos dust.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wear Home Depot full finger work gloves. Inexpensive, washable, good protection.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Although many do, I never wear gloves. I ride in extreme heat at times and just don't want them on my hands. I do own full fingered gloves for 50 deg temps and colder which is extremely rare where I live. I know some never leave home without gloves but I don't like to wear them. If I rode real big miles or raced, I would consider them however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I ride in extreme heat at times and just don't want them on my hands.
    That's exactly when I wear gloves because my hands get slippery from sweating. All my half finger gloves are mesh top and no padding at the palm.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    That's exactly when I wear gloves because my hands get slippery from sweating. All my half finger gloves are mesh top and no padding at the palm.
    Understand. I have such perfect weight distribution on the bike, even with wet hands I guide the bike like Valentino Rossi through the curves. Grip pressure is for guys who don't know how to ride. Just kidding. In competitive riding in the heat, gloves are advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLYKlcA_fMQ
    Last edited by 11spd; 10-13-2018 at 10:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I don't ride with gloves on road bikes. My hands do get fatigued on long days with a lot of climbing due to the sweat, but that's a small part of my riding. Also only matters when standing or doing very steep grades.

On MTB, I always wear gloves. Troy Lee designs has the Ace glove which fits very well, and is a light weight full fingered option. You can find them direct from their site or others for $12-18 per pair, and I get thousands of miles out of them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don’t like much if any padding. I have a few pairs of these Rapha gloves.
    https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/s...FfMXfQod_b4DKg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don’t generally wear gloves, I can’t stand the tan lines... But I have a few pair that I use on cool rides. The surprise of the group and far and away favorite is the Ezeefit brand, also XXL. The website says $25.00 but I got mine for $10.00 a few years ago. Mine don’t have the loop pulls like these do, they have like tabs between fingers to grip.

https://www.ezeefitsports.com/product-p/060.htm
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pearl Izumi Elite. Been using them for about six or seven years. The fit perfectly to size and last a long time. They have good strategically placed ample gel padding.