Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    All of ^that^ makes perfect sense - the unintended loads, not mimicking real-world riding, etc. But... has anyone seen a frame fail because of this? Has anyone seen a manufacturer exclude trainer usage? Given the millions of hours logged on carbon fiber bikes on direct-drive trainers, surely... by now, the interwebs would be flooded with pics, stories, warnings, voided warranties...
    I think the carbon repair guy in this video mentioned something about "not using carbon frames on a trainer" in one of his videos:

    https://youtu.be/EZbg5hCRyvs

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,767
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    All of ^that^ makes perfect sense - the unintended loads, not mimicking real-world riding, etc. But... has anyone seen a frame fail because of this? Has anyone seen a manufacturer exclude trainer usage? Given the millions of hours logged on carbon fiber bikes on direct-drive trainers, surely... by now, the interwebs would be flooded with pics, stories, warnings, voided warranties...
    If you mean void a warranty because of it.....yes I've definitely seen that written in the fine print of a warranty.

    Who knows how much of a threat using a carbon frame in a fixed position really is. I assume it varies from frame to frame with weight weenie frames being they worse. There's probably no way to really know because if someone noticed a crack in August there's really no way to say if the trainer all winter had anything to do with that or not.
    Having a carbon frame crack is very realistic. Because of the trainer? Who knows.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,121
    Take your front wheel off our bike, put the skewer in, spin it real fast and hold it by the skewer, now lean it like you are leaning a bike into a turn ... and report back with what you felt. (maybe I should have been more clear though, the act of leaning into a turn not once you are in a turn leaning).
    Last edited by Srode; 1 Week Ago at 03:52 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,093
    Every winter this comes up. Every winter the same points get argued. Every winter I use my carbon bike in a trainer. Btw. The issue of warranty has been asked and answered before, and in fact in another forum this info was provided for each manufacturer. There were only a few that had an issue ( my memory is felt and Cannondale). I know cervelo says no problem. Most stated the warranty would not be voided, unless the failure occurred because the bike had not been properly clamped into the trainer and popped out while training.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    215
    New BKool Smart Air trainer allows several degrees of side-to-side motion... looks pretty slick.



    I don't think I'd worry too much about putting a carbon bike on a trainer unless you're some kind of wattage monster. However, I would definitely invest in a "bike thong" to keep sweat off your bike.


  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    68
    That same thing happens when pedaling down a road. The bike can lean side to side slightly when riding on the road but cant slide. Instead of the feet of the trainer, that motion is arrested by the friction of the tire on the road, and the force required to do that is transmitted up to the dropouts as a torque.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Try and rep someone that you have recently rep'd and this is the message that you will get instead of being able to rep them again.
    Ahh ok. Thanks

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    New BKool Smart Air trainer allows several degrees of side-to-side motion... looks pretty slick.


    Anything that keeps a bike upright while you are on it by holding it by the rear dropouts is going to put stresses on the frame it's not designed for. You'll never know if it's too much strain until the frame breaks, then it's too late.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,839
    I'm thinking that if this was a problem, we would have heard all about it by now.
    Do a stress diagram proving that the load is out of this world, otherwise....
    Maybe sacrifice an old frame or one that has been broken.
    BANNED

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    Every winter this comes up. Every winter the same points get argued. Every winter I use my carbon bike in a trainer. Btw. The issue of warranty has been asked and answered before, and in fact in another forum this info was provided for each manufacturer. There were only a few that had an issue ( my memory is felt and Cannondale). I know cervelo says no problem. Most stated the warranty would not be voided, unless the failure occurred because the bike had not been properly clamped into the trainer and popped out while training.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    I use my carbon bike on the trainer in the winter, but then again it's my least favorite bike

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,294
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I use my carbon bike on the trainer in the winter, but then again it's my least favorite bike
    I like the way you think.
    Too old to ride plastic

  12. #37
    The Slow One.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,737
    Here's my sample size of one opinion:
    I've had a wheel-off trainer for eight years (LeMond Revolution), using it relatively heavily (60-90min/day, 6 days a week, 6 months a year). I do a lot of out-of-the-saddle sprint efforts, especially when I'm on Zwift. I've used several carbon fiber and aluminum frames on the trainer, with zero issues I could detect.

    That said, I have a bike I use exclusively for the trainer. It's a frame TSA was nice enough to dent for me, and I built it up with reliable-but-unspectacular components (Rival/Apex). The seatpost, stem, and handlebars are aluminum, but I really don't care about weight or looks. As with the saddle, as long as it's reasonably comfortable, it doesn't matter. It's a trainer bike, built to sit in one place and get sweated on. Yeah, I have a sweat shield as well, but that doesn't block everything. The bike gets torn down and cleaned up periodically to ensure it doesn't corrode.

    A cheap frame/bike off of Craigslist, Nashbar, or Bikes Direct will work just fine, and keep your nicer bike from turning into a pile of corroded crap. That I see as a bigger danger than the trainer itself.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,232
    Bad idea to clamp a frame you care about in a trainer for all the reasons above. Get some rollers and avoid the whole issue while developing a nice, efficient pedal stroke.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Bad idea to clamp a frame you care about in a trainer for all the reasons above. Get some rollers and avoid the whole issue while developing a nice, efficient pedal stroke.
    If I ever win a nine digit lottery, I'd buy a 6 Day track from the Old Country and a building to house it as my home trainer, and possibly the bands, blondes, and beer that go with any decent 6 Day event as well.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    If I ever win a nine digit lottery, I'd buy a 6 Day track from the Old Country and a building to house it as my home trainer, and possibly the bands, blondes, and beer that go with any decent 6 Day event as well.
    The best plan yet.
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #41
    The Slow One.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,737
    Can I come over to your house to play?

    The closest I can come is a 400-meter running track under an inflatable dome Sunday mornings with the rest of the hardcore Anchorage roadies. No bands, blondes, and beer that I've seen, but we make do somehow.

    I've always said I'd build a covered track in Anchorage if I ever won big in the lottery. Maybe couple it with another couple sports in the infield so it's just not a handful of us making laps a couple hours a week. If I could combine it with a pool and a running track, I'd own the local triathlon community. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22,834
    Get a Concept 2 for the winter training as they provide multiple cross training benefits to your entire body (cardiovascular, skeletal, muscular, hormonal, etc) in a short time.

    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...ance-athletes/
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

  18. #43
    Huge in Japan
    Reputation: craiger_ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    If I ever win a nine digit lottery, I'd buy a 6 Day track from the Old Country and a building to house it as my home trainer, and possibly the bands, blondes, and beer that go with any decent 6 Day event as well.
    That's funny because I have almost the exact same plan for my lottery winnings except more emphasis on the beer an blonds.

    Now that I think about it I hadn't even considered the track part. But still it's pretty close to the same plan.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    uhhh, I'll just go outside and ride - less worry.

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,839
    If I won, I'd just get a Ducati.
    ... I'm too old for a trainer.
    BANNED

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    uhhh, I'll just go outside and ride - less worry.
    Track racers must be doing something right-Danny Clark, Patrick Secru, and Risi/Bretschart all had multi-decade racing careers; road racers past 40 are almost unicorns.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jspharmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,214
    I use a trainer-specific bike, solely to prevent the exposure of sweat to my "good" bike. I didn't go out and buy one specifically for my trainer, I just used my first road bike and have kept it all these years.

    Like Alaska Mike, I disassemble, clean it, and reassemble periodically. THAT will make you think twice about putting your "good" bike on the trainer.

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Track racers must be doing something right-Danny Clark, Patrick Secru, and Risi/Bretschart all had multi-decade racing careers; road racers past 40 are almost unicorns.
    Not sure of your point here.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    67
    In the past I've used my best carbon fiber bike on a trainer and had no issues.
    For convenience last year I went out and found a $300 aluminum 105 bike and just leave that on the trainer. Pretty cool bike for $300
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Good Bike on newer direct drive trainer-raleigh.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
  2. direct drive vs tire drive smart trainers
    By DaveG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-31-2017, 05:26 AM
  3. Is there a newer trainer like the Taxc Flow (quiet wind trainer with power)
    By StillKeen in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
  5. Trainer - Rim drive Vs. Tyre drive
    By heckler963 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.