Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlogged View Post
    I wear a mirror on my glasses while mountain biking....my wife and friends won't admit they know me.
    This is truly unpopular. And extremely dorky by all standards. I don't know you and if I did meet you I would be friendly and even if I enjoyed riding with you I would admit (adamantly) I didn't know you 😎

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    yeah, we're actually 'cyclers'

that's what Joe Rogan calls us.
    Technically speaking he's right!

Pros cycle their training "programs" to keep that biological passport looking "normal"
    😎

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i sold some recently for $75 on craigs. from a '71 lygie. zero rash on the cages. pretty rare.

i love how you can get a wrench on the cone. might make it the easiest component on the bike to adjust. the japanese copy, kkt pro ace, was the same way.

but, for me, i prefer the kkt top run. not nearly as blinging as campy, but more comfy ... and a lot closer to $22.
    Haven't seen those KKT rat traps in a while. Nice pedals!

I bought MKS Sylvan from Velo Orange a few years ago. Bearings not quite as smooth as Campy Record, but they wear in and become nice and smooth. I've never worn out any bearings from too many miles, nor bent the spindles. The cages wear down under the cleat, or sooner or later crumple in a crash. They're now $32.00 at Velo Orange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Oh yeah? 'Brifter' is a clever portmanteau, entwined with a tasty hint of jargon...in other words, you gotta know just a little more about cycling than the average ranger to understand the complexities and wonderment of the word.

Ain't nothing like biking with my bros with brifters.

Wrench, "cycling" is what your washing machine does, you know, like the "agitate" cycle.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    yeah, we're actually 'cyclers'

that's what Joe Rogan calls us.
    who is joe rogan

is he that stoner roid monkey?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    That sounds great. I have a 12-23 Record 8 speed, but I so rarely use the 23 or even the one next to it, which is probably a 21 or 20, they look a lot newer than the others.
    I have a single speed 52-14, but only for hills.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Haven't seen those KKT rat traps in a while. Nice pedals!

... I've never worn out any bearings from too many miles, nor bent the spindles.
    yeah, good vintage pedals will last forever. in all my refurbs, i've only seen one bad axle (it crumbled from rust), and only two bad cones. unless the pedals are french, they can usually be repaired fairly easily.

it can be hard to find lock washers, though. new/nos campy ones can be found online, but a donor set of pedals might be needed for any others.

dust caps are another matter. i never buy pedals without proper dust caps.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Ooh, I've got a couple:

1. Any person complaining about an uncomfortable saddle is riding on an ill fitted bike.
    2. Most people are riding on ill fitted bikes
    3. Most people ride with their saddles far too far back, those people usually complain of
    4. bars lower than seat does not need to = numb hands and pain, but your seat does need to come forward
    5. if your seat is anything other than close to parallel with the ground, you're doing it wrong
    6. photo-chromatic lenses are superior to any other tint. you can wear them from noon to sunset and under tree cover, and some even at night.
    7. hydraulic discs all. the. way.
    Wait, how do I remedy these situations? My saddle is slammed all the way back and tilted all the way down. I ride sprawled forward, and often get pains in my lower back that make me really tired after a shockingly short time on the bike.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Clif bars taste like particle board and jam.
    That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
    Yes.

Yet curiously, Clif Bars are still the best-tasting energy bars.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah, good vintage pedals will last forever. in all my refurbs, i've only seen one bad axle (it crumbled from rust), and only two bad cones. unless the pedals are french, they can usually be repaired fairly easily.

it can be hard to find lock washers, though. new/nos campy ones can be found online, but a donor set of pedals might be needed for any others.

dust caps are another matter. i never buy pedals without proper dust caps.
    I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of pedals and never threw any of the worn out ones away. If you need parts, I got 'em! The only thing trashed out are the cages--and dust caps. Oh well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    in all my refurbs, i've only seen one bad axle (it crumbled from rust)
    As the song says, One bad axle don't spoil a whole bunch of girls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Yes.

Yet curiously, Clif Bars are still the best-tasting energy bars.
    Oh man, nobody's come out with something more tasty than Clif Bars? How about Powerbars, or those honey waffles?

And for those epic 60+ mile rides, a nice sandwich, Westphalian ham, cream cheese and fruit preserves slathered between two pieces of substantial fresh bread, nicely marinating in the jersey pocket, so it goes immediately to work in your hungry gut and will get you home.

Cliff Bars just don't do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    For some reason, i found this thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...-325895-8.html) really annoying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    If you can count to four, you can build wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Different traffic laws should exist for cyclists. Like the "Idaho Stop" rule. We don't weigh as much or go nearly as fast as cars.

If the goal is to discourage reckless cyclists, then let's get the cops on e-bikes so they can catch up to them. Start taking bike security more seriously, bigger fines for thieves and road-ragers.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Different traffic laws should exist for cyclists. Like the "Idaho Stop" rule. We don't weigh as much or go nearly as fast as cars.

If the goal is to discourage reckless cyclists, then let's get the cops on e-bikes so they can catch up to them. Start taking bike security more seriously, bigger fines for thieves and road-ragers.
    As a corollary, more education is a MUST! Yes, begin "discouraging" the flagrantly reckless cyclists; those who will blow stopsigns and stoplights at busy, heavily-trafficked intersections; those riding way too fast on the sidewalks (leave those to Granny on her towny or Junior on his Wally World BMX bike); those riding against the flow of traffic. Michigan has what's known as the 85% rule, for speeding cars...that is, 85% of traffic on a given stretch of road is going a certain speed, that speed becomes the defacto speed limit (and long-term, traffic surveys are done to adjust the posted speed limits to match 85% of traffic). I hate the rule, but it reduces nuisance stops and allows traffic cops to focus on the truly reckless...so, we should enforce laws in an intelligent manner. Let's not necessarily pick on the guy rolling a stop sign in East Jesus, Nowhere; but we should pick on the guy blowing the signals on 8th and Main at 5pm during rush hour.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    As a corollary, more education is a MUST! Yes, begin "discouraging" the flagrantly reckless cyclists; those who will blow stopsigns and stoplights at busy, heavily-trafficked intersections; those riding way too fast on the sidewalks (leave those to Granny on her towny or Junior on his Wally World BMX bike); those riding against the flow of traffic. Michigan has what's known as the 85% rule, for speeding cars...that is, 85% of traffic on a given stretch of road is going a certain speed, that speed becomes the defacto speed limit (and long-term, traffic surveys are done to adjust the posted speed limits to match 85% of traffic). I hate the rule, but it reduces nuisance stops and allows traffic cops to focus on the truly reckless...so, we should enforce laws in an intelligent manner. Let's not necessarily pick on the guy rolling a stop sign in East Jesus, Nowhere; but we should pick on the guy blowing the signals on 8th and Main at 5pm during rush hour.
    It all has to do with respect. Police bicyclists a few years ago showed us how to do it on side walks. They'd move like pedestrians, doing little track stands to grant right of ways and go with the flow, politely blending with the traffic, and hitting the street whenever possible. Also dug the single speed messengers threading effortlessly through the gridlock like ballet dancers.

So agree. What's wrong with a slow roll through a stop sign if the way is clear?

.je
    Lizard Person
    Why is the 'Queen Stage' of a race called the 'Queen Stage', when everyone is wearing their regular kit?
    The 'Queen Stage', everyone should be all in drag. Then it's a 'Queen Stage'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Why is the 'Queen Stage' of a race called the 'Queen Stage', when everyone is wearing their regular kit?
    The 'Queen Stage', everyone should be all in drag. Then it's a 'Queen Stage'.

Not bad. Nice strong beat to conquer the hills.

There were some women riders at the end. I guess those are the ones you're looking for.

.je
    Lizard Person
    Merida bikes would be awesome if sometimes they printed "MIERDA" instead.

Focus stands for F*ck Off 'Cause Ur Screwed.

If I have the choice between Bike Day and Beach Day, I'll always pick Beach Day.

Out riding.
    Carbon bikes are overrated unless you're being paid to ride one... shots fired...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    Carbon bikes are overrated unless you're being paid to ride one... shots fired...
    Absolutely. Way overpriced too.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    Corollary: Steel is Real. Always has been, always will be.

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    The most comfortable cycling jersey you can buy is made from wool.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast