Your Unpopular (Biking) Opinions - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    If the fit is spot on, custom titanium is worth it.
    Why do riders want heavier bikes on purpose? OK, blackfrancois will eventually have me making an offer on one his vintage restorations... he does beautiful work! But only for the interest/curiosity level of riding steel and downtube. And again, he does amazing work. For an everyday ride where you go after PRs and train hard and push yourself... Why would you want a heavy bike when you can have a light one? Cycling is, in many ways, about climbing. Why would anyone want to drag a 25lb bike up a hill when they could pedal a 16lb bike instead? Weight matters. How much it matters is a personal thing, but it matters and it matters a lot.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Here's a good one...Ö.I use White lightening chain lube because I get insane amounts of chain and cassette life.
    Oh no you donít! You use surgically precise applications of lube thinned by extra OMS!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Gloss paint is faster than satin or flat.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Gloss paint is faster than satin or flat.
    Orange in either finish is fastest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Orange in either finish is fastest.
    IMG_1580.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Am I a bad person if I think that fat biking in the winter is really boring?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    If you gotta ask, yes.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    With or without snow?

What the what???
    I think it's something I might enjoy... but so far, I'm not willing to invest the money for the bike and the cold-weather kit to find out I'm wrong.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    No, but you are for saying it :^>

Beats the heck out of riding an indoor trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    My mostly retrogrouch / Grant Peterson inspired opinions:
    1. Bike weight under 20 lbs doesn't matter. Weight weenieism is a bizarre, counterproductive and pointless obsession.
    2. Aero wheels and aero frames make zero difference in the real world.
    3. Internal cabling sucks.
    5. Fendered steel rando bikes look much better and are much cooler than the latest aero carbon race bike. (Don't get me wrong, I love a carbon racing bike, but my heart belongs to high end rando stuff).
    7. The idea that bottom bracket "stiffness" improves "power transfer" or "efficiency" is hogwash. It's a personal preference thing, nothing more. Front end stiffness is much more important as it makes a big difference in how a bike handles.
    8. You can ride 90%+ of dry gravel events on a road bike with 25mm tires.
    9. Expensive sunglasses and helmets are a complete waste of money. Expensive shoes and clothing are not.
    10. The cup and cone hub is superior in every way to the sealed bearing hub.
    12. No show running socks work best for hot summer riding.
    13. Wedge "aero" seatpost clamp designs are stupid and awful.
    14. Tubeless is not ready for prime time in any application over 35 psi.
    15. The idea that shoe sole stiffness contributes to "efficiency" is also hogwash.
    16. Flat pedals are a perfectly viable option for almost all road cycling.
    Let's see. I just bought (among other cycling-related things) a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0. This bike:
    1. Weighs about 17 pounds
    2. Has a (slightly) aero carbon wheelset
    3. Has every cable routed internally from the levers all the way to the caliper / derailleur
    4. Is definitely not a steel rando bike
    5. Has an extremely stiff bottom bracket
    6. Can fit 32mm tires, but I not going to ever ride it in a gravel event.
    7. I bought an expensive new helmet to go with the bike.
    8. Has sealed bearing hubs with DT Swiss internals.
    9. I also bought a bunch of fancy, 6" cycling-specific socks
    10. Has a wedge seatpost design
    11. Come stock, out of the box with tubeless road tires set up tubeless on tubeless-ready rims.
    12. I also bought a pair of very fancy and very stiff carbon-soled shoes.
    13. I also bought a pair of Ultegra 8000 SPD-SL carbon road pedals. In fairness I've been using similar pedals since the 80s.

...so yeah. I'm a complete hypocrite.

I bought a bike that ridiculously has two sets of firmware (power meter and Di2) both of which use crappy, constantly crashing apps to manage. I bought a bike I have no idea how to work on. A bike that even adjusting the seatpost requires a torque wrench and immense care. A bike with motors (in the derailleurs) and batteries. A bike that is so complicated that lowering the stem is a several hour process only to be completed by an experienced mechanic. A bike where even moderately truing the wheels would involve several hours of work (hidden nipples on a tubeless setup). A bike that is head-to-toe carbon. A bike that has (gasp) a press fit bottom bracket.

Guess what, I love it. It's like an immense comfortable rocket ship with a perfectly-operating and effortless drivetrain, immensely powerful and well modulated brakes and nice, clean aesthetics.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I have a few bikes which you could call "classic" (although at least one is a NEO-classic..), so you'd think I love downtube shifters, but I don't. Being 6'3" tall, I only ride large frames, and let me tell you, the downtube is a LONG way away on a 24"+ frame! So, I convert the frame to bar-end shifters, which causes other problems, namely finding a cable casing long enough to gou under the tape, down the longer headtube and downtube, etc....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    ...finding a cable casing long enough to gou under the tape, down the longer headtube and downtube, etc....
    Your LBS most likely has housing in 100 ft spools and can cut to whatever length you need.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bah, humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Let's see. I just bought (among other cycling-related things) a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0. This bike:
    1. Weighs about 17 pounds
    2. Has a (slightly) aero carbon wheelset
    3. Has every cable routed internally from the levers all the way to the caliper / derailleur
    4. Is definitely not a steel rando bike
    5. Has an extremely stiff bottom bracket
    6. Can fit 32mm tires, but I not going to ever ride it in a gravel event.
    7. I bought an expensive new helmet to go with the bike.
    8. Has sealed bearing hubs with DT Swiss internals.
    9. I also bought a bunch of fancy, 6" cycling-specific socks
    10. Has a wedge seatpost design
    11. Come stock, out of the box with tubeless road tires set up tubeless on tubeless-ready rims.
    12. I also bought a pair of very fancy and very stiff carbon-soled shoes.
    13. I also bought a pair of Ultegra 8000 SPD-SL carbon road pedals. In fairness I've been using similar pedals since the 80s.

...so yeah. I'm a complete hypocrite.

I bought a bike that ridiculously has two sets of firmware (power meter and Di2) both of which use crappy, constantly crashing apps to manage. I bought a bike I have no idea how to work on. A bike that even adjusting the seatpost requires a torque wrench and immense care. A bike with motors (in the derailleurs) and batteries. A bike that is so complicated that lowering the stem is a several hour process only to be completed by an experienced mechanic. A bike where even moderately truing the wheels would involve several hours of work (hidden nipples on a tubeless setup). A bike that is head-to-toe carbon. A bike that has (gasp) a press fit bottom bracket.

Guess what, I love it. It's like an immense comfortable rocket ship with a perfectly-operating and effortless drivetrain, immensely powerful and well modulated brakes and nice, clean aesthetics.
    Have fun for now; don't forget the video camera! But keep that rando bike tuned up for the days the batteries die, the gears won't shift, the BB gets loose, wheel can't be trued after hitting a nasty bump, the tubeless tires leak, or it might rain.

If you want the pure experience of manual biking, don't want to call for a car when stuck out in the middle of nowhere, take the rando bike. Ask the fixie rider how he feels about his bike.

Dump the bike in three years, when it starts to crack at the joints, the electronics goes kaput, you can't fix it anymore; consider the depreciation in value the cost of high tech.

Brother Grant is right on. Manufacturers are trying to market bikes like cars. No equivalency there, other than both roll down the road on wheels.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 04-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Have fun for now; don't forget the video camera! But keep that rando bike tuned up for the days the batteries die, the gears won't shift, the BB gets loose, wheel can't be trued after hitting a nasty bump, the tubeless tires leak, or it might rain.

If you want the pure experience of manual biking, don't want to call for a car when stuck out in the middle of nowhere, take the rando bike. Ask the fixie rider how he feels about his bike.

Dump the bike in three years, when it starts to crack at the joints, the electronics goes kaput, you can't fix it anymore; consider the depreciation in value the cost of high tech.

Brother Grant is right on. Manufacturers are trying to market bikes like cars. No equivalency there, other than both roll down the road on wheels.
    Pah, live a little.

I've got lots of bikes. I kept my old Ti road bike with standard-sized, metal everything, a simple mechanical drivetrain, cup-and-cone hubs and a threaded BB. I also have a relatively new Reynolds 631 gravel bike with a similarly foolproof setup... and a simple and high quality steel single-speed road bike... and several mountain bikes. I love them all. I got this new bike to experience something very modern on the road. It will be a fair weather, smooth roads type of ride.

a real member's member
    black jorts.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Your LBS most likely has housing in 100 ft spools and can cut to whatever length you need.
    Oh, yeah, the CHEAP housing. But not the good kind....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

T K
    wasssabi
    I think cyclists waving to each other is dumb. "Look, I'm on a bike and you're on a bike! Yay! Hi! Wee!" Whatever. Do you feel the need to wave at every car you drive past? Having said that I always wave back. I'm not a total d!ck.

Huge in Japan
    Probably another unpopular opinion of mine:

I hate clean white bar tape. I have one bike that I put white bar tape on but I feel embarrassed every time I ride it until it gets dirty. I love dirty white bar tape.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I use SPD pedals and mountain shoes on all my bikes, and don't give a damn!

I also enjoy showing up at an event ride, and getting stomped on by the local Sasquash who shows up in flip flops, and rides away from everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    Probably another unpopular opinion of mine:

I hate clean white bar tape. I have one bike that I put white bar tape on but I feel embarrassed every time I ride it until it gets dirty. I love dirty white bar tape.
    The same with clean white shoes. They need to look like they have been used a little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    The same with clean white shoes. They need to look like they have been used a little.
    And the saddle needs to show wear also. And if the tires are white walled or skin walled they look better dirty also. A bike looks better when it looks like it's being ridden and not fresh off the showroom.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    oh and if it's raining, ride your bike in it, plastic, metal and rubber are mostly waterproof.
    It's raining here today, so that is my challenge to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    oh and if it's raining, ride your bike in it, plastic, metal and rubber are mostly waterproof.
    It's raining here today, so that is my challenge to myself.
    A couple of good rain rides will stain white or tan or skinwall tires real good, and besides that...

Rain don't hurt 'cause there ain't no soap in it.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    For an everyday ride where you ... train hard and push yourself... Why would you want a heavy bike when you can have a light one? ... Why would anyone want to drag a 25lb bike up a hill when they could pedal a 16lb bike instead?
    you want to "train hard," but not that hard, right?

htfu!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast