Zwift
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zwift

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Zwift

I find it very hard to get on any trainer as I prefer to be out on the rode. I don't mind the cold weather (won't ride in rain though). I get pretty bored on the trainer while watching TV. I've been told that since Zwift is interactive, it may help. I've been pretty closed minded to Zwift because of me getting bored on trainers.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Any suggestions?

What is the cheapest setup for Zwift? I don't want to run the risk of getting an expensive clothes hanger. I may be willing to try something new.

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I find it very hard to get on any trainer as I prefer to be out on the rode. I don't mind the cold weather (won't ride in rain though). I get pretty bored on the trainer while watching TV. I've been told that since Zwift is interactive, it may help. I've been pretty closed minded to Zwift because of me getting bored on trainers.

Any suggestions?

What is the cheapest setup for Zwift? I don't want to run the risk of getting an expensive clothes hanger. I may be willing to try something new.

Thanks...
    I has been using Zwift for about 3 years. Before that I used Traineroad, and before that cycling DVDs. I think the thing that makes Zwift better is that you are riding with other real people (sort of). I find it motivating to chase someone on a climb or jump into a fast paceline, or try to set a new PR There are also groups rides and races. I have a smart trainer but you can use a basic trainer with a senor if Zwift has a power profile for it. I do find a smart trainer to be a big plus, otherwise hills don't mean much. The cheapest setup is a basic fluid trainer, apple TV, tv monitor, and a wheel sensor. You don't get the best graphics unless you have a PC with a decent graphics card but the screenshots that I have seen with Apple tv are pretty good. There is some investment if you want a better setup. If you know someone that has Zwift, maybe they will let you try it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Bike shops are starting to have demo setups in-store.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It can be engaging unless you are doing structured work, then it's another way to keep you from going completely nuts waiting for the clock to count down without having to pay attention to a plot while watching Netflix series.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm about the same, always hated the trainer and could stand it about 45 minutes max until I started with zwift. Like someone else mentioned, initially I just used my dumb trainer paired with my laptop via USB Ant+ dongle and wahoo speed sensor. I used that for about a year then picked up a wheel-on smart trainer, it's a much better experience getting the feedback with a smart trainer, I actually did a couple of 2-hour zwift rides last year, totally surprised myself.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a kickr and a Zwift account... pointed at a 40" TV... with a fan, shelf... everything to maximize the "experience." It still sucks. The goal with this stuff is to make it suck less. It will never come close to replacing a real ride. But, even with the current 1990s era graphics and silly routes (volcanoes, glass roads) it's a LOT better than a "dumb" trainer and sufferfest.

I am surprised Zwift hasn't fixed some of the obvious issues - like having to shut down the app to back up. Crazy. That seems like something they'd fix on day-two. Nope.

Right now, we're at the Atari phase. I imagine in the next five years, we'll see some pretty cool improvements and my "how cold is too cold to ride outside" number will go even higher ;-)

Never Give Up!
    I feel the same way, winter riding on a trainer "sucks" and maybe get about 45 minutes to hour one or twice a week if that!

My neighbor down the street is riding ZWIFT and trying to convince me into doing the same. But I don't want to put a lot money into it, looking for a cheaper alternative way it could be done as well.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am in research mode now and will keep all of these things in mind while doing my research. I do know that I would prefer to use a one of the smart trainer to get the interactive feel vs. the old Cyclops I have.

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I am a Zwifter. A rocker plate has enabled me to stay longer and more comfortable on the indoor trainer. I use a Taxc Neo 2 which comes with simulated road feel.
    Lynskey GR260 Ultegra Di2
    Merlin Extralight - Campy
    Airborne Lancaster - XTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I am a Zwifter. A rocker plate has enabled me to stay longer and more comfortable on the indoor trainer. I use a Taxc Neo 2 which comes with simulated road feel.
    What is a rocker plate?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What is a rocker plate?
    Platform that lets the rear wheel trainer and rider rock side to side to mimic the natural motion of riding outside.

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Lynskey GR260 Ultegra Di2
    Merlin Extralight - Campy
    Airborne Lancaster - XTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Platform that lets the rear wheel trainer and rider rock side to side to mimic the natural motion of riding outside.
    No, that is not a rocker plate, this is....
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    HA! I was soooo ready to come out swinging - "IS TOO!!!" But, you are correct. THAT is a rocker plate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
    Have you used rollers? Shouldn't get bored on them.
    You can normally find them cheap used.
    I just picked up some Insideride E-motion ones. They are pretty sweet. I also have some Kreitlers and Nashbar. They are all similar but also different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Putting your phone on the bars and using the Zwift Companion app allows you to steer the bike on the mountain bike course from what I have heard, that's a bit more engaging.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    Have you used rollers? Shouldn't get bored on them.
    No you shouldn't.... Because if you are bored, your mind will wander, and inevitably, your front wheel tries to follow. This generally leads to creation of a good story.

I ride rollers 45 minutes, 5 or 6 days a week during the "off season", my favorite music with a hard, fast driving beat........LOUD. Also, do intervals, say 2 minutes hard and 1 minute really hard. Once you get up around your max heart rate, the boredom disappears.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Frog Whisperer
    Also, you could grind big flat spots on the rollers to simulate potholes.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Update: I decided to go with the Wahoo Kickr Snap (got a decent deal from my LBS). I will use my iPhone, along with the HDMI cable, to connect to my TV for the initial setup. If that doesn't give me the best picture, I will connect to/through my PC to my monitor and/or TV to see if the image and performance improves. I've read where cyclist recommend using Apple 4k TV for the best possible connection, but I want to start on the cheap first.

Thanks for all the input.

Oh. Any tips?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Update: I decided to go with the Wahoo Kickr Snap (got a decent deal from my LBS). I will use my iPhone, along with the HDMI cable, to connect to my TV for the initial setup. If that doesn't give me the best picture, I will connect to/through my PC to my monitor and/or TV to see if the image and performance improves. I've read where cyclist recommend using Apple 4k TV for the best possible connection, but I want to start on the cheap first.

Thanks for all the input.

Oh. Any tips?
    Welcome to the club. IMO super high resolution doesn't really add much. It can also result in lower frame rates which is way worse. I would rather have a bigger screen that more pixels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Welcome to the club. IMO super high resolution doesn't really add much. It can also result in lower frame rates which is way worse. I would rather have a bigger screen that more pixels
    That is exactly why I will hook to the PC if the frame rates are not good with the iPhone setup. The 980Ti can handle Zwift with no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Oh. Any tips?
    Watch GPLama videos on YouTube for Zwift related info/updates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I just did a 25km ride on Zwift (that initial test ride they allow). I think I will like it, but more so when I can get it on the big screen TV. I couldn't read anything that popped up on the iPhone 8 with it sitting on the computer mount. Also, I couldn't get my Garmin HR to connect with any of the apps (Zwift or Wahoo fitness), but the ironic thing is it connects to the Element Bolt and the companion app that controls the bolt. Do I need to get a HR that's BT?

RoadBikeReview Member
    TVs are so cheap now - that's the route I'd go. Not the iPhone to tablet or laptop. I just bought a TCL 40" 1k Smart TV for $180. I have it on a $20 wall mount - swivels, tilts, extends (TVs are also a lot lighter now - mounts are cheap too).

My bike sits 18" from a 40" TV at handlebar height, tilted up slightly. Any closer, and I'd sweat on it... seriously, I had to move the bike/Kickr back a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I just did a 25km ride on Zwift (that initial test ride they allow). I think I will like it, but more so when I can get it on the big screen TV. I couldn't read anything that popped up on the iPhone 8 with it sitting on the computer mount. Also, I couldn't get my Garmin HR to connect with any of the apps (Zwift or Wahoo fitness), but the ironic thing is it connects to the Element Bolt and the companion app that controls the bolt. Do I need to get a HR that's BT?
    Yes, I think you probably need a BT HRM. I use ANT+ with a PC but I doubt an iPhone supports that. As ZAsker said TVs are cheap. I'd bag the tiny iPhone screen and go to a monitor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast