Rub it............

Zwift for offseason?

Anyone else using Zwift for the off season? Wife bought me a Kickr Snap for Christmas so I can't use it yet. But have been using my Garmin sensors and my dumb trainer on it for the 7 day trial. I really like it so far.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do. As much as I love to ride outside... I hate(d) riding inside. I started doing the Zwift thing last winter - bought a Kickr, a 32" TV, etc. and set up my little "pain cave" as they like to call it.

My club is up to 18 guys with Kickrs. We're doing group rides at our regular ride times - just "meeting" in Watopia instead. We're even using a discord server (like gamers use) so the group can talk while we ride. Yeah... getting kinda nerdy.

Is it awesome? No. Is it close to being as good as riding outside? No. But, for me, it's better than rollers, a stationary bike or a regular "dumb" trainer. And the big one - it's over the tolerable line - it's good enough that I look forward to riding. That is a HUGE line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like OldZaskar, I also use Zwift and actually look forward to getting some rides in which is a huge plus for me. I have a Fluid 2 I've used for years during the off-season, rarely would my rides reach the 1 hour mark, more like 45 minutes for 2 or 3x/wk, and pretty much dreaded the thought of it. Since I bought a Snap last winter I look forward to riding indoors, I actually did a 2 hr/33 mile hilly ride last week...Time flies.
    Just a warning...If you do some races or group rides don't get discouraged.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Road & Trail Warrior
    I too, am a Zwifter! Used it for training all last winter and when it was time for MTB racing season, I came out swinging.
    Just last week I tried Bkool and it sucked. I'm going back to Zwift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    I have been using Zwift for a little over a year. I used it a lot last winter, and a bit of the Sufferfest during the brutal Tour of Sufferlandria(9 straight days in early Feb), and I had my best mountain bike racing season ever with strong results from January to June; I won the series in my age group/category.

It was very helpful and fun when I was using a dumb trainer, but I recently bought a Kickr Core and that has really upped the fun and effectiveness. Doing their simulation of Alpe d'Huez with over an hour of climbing is very cool, with all of the grade changes felt in the resistance, and a great workout. The races are good for my mountain bike race training as Zwift races start off with all out efforts that put you in the red immediately before settling in, just like a mountain bike race.
    Last edited by sonikreducr; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    Used it for training all last winter and when it was time for MTB racing season, I came out swinging.
    ^This^

A buddy of mine and I did the first MTB race of the season - after a winter of zwifting - and got 1st and 2nd in our class. We joked that we felt like we cheated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Just a warning...If you do some races or group rides don't get discouraged.
    Good advice. I did a "C" group ride with no leader and got dropped like it a rock. It can be discouraging, but I still made a good training ride out of it. By the way, I'm at the high end of the "C" range, so it should have been a ride I could keep up with if there was a leader keeping things under control. Just be aware of that, it common across the rides.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Anyone else using Zwift for the off season? Wife bought me a Kickr Snap for Christmas so I can't use it yet. But have been using my Garmin sensors and my dumb trainer on it for the 7 day trial. I really like it so far.
    I am on my third year with Zwift. I used TrainerRoad before that. I generally like it. I find riding with other "people" from around the world motivating. If you are dedicated enough to follow a training plan you can make real gains. My Zwift station includes gaming PC, a decent sized 1080 TV, a sound system with a subwoofer (I turn off the volume on Zwift sounds), and a big fan with a remote. It beats going out in the cold (for me) but I shut it down as soon as the weather gets good again

Rub it............
    It's nice being able to ride indoors without getting bored. Did 16 miles today before I head off to work. Once I get the Kickr Snap setup, I'll start with the training plans.
    You can't fix stupid.

Slowski
    I have been almost exclusively been doing training plans on Zwift. I did a couple free rides, group rides and a race, and I am not really into that. I find it best to use Zwift for structured training sessions. With that said, over the tail end of the cyclocross season I made huge gains in FTP by doing the booster program and paying close attention to my heart rate. Because of that, my confidence in the later races really went up.

I now plan to do the 12 week winter program to get ready for the road season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Having never used Zwift or any other online cycling app, I have a few questions for those of you who do. I have a Lemond Revolution trainer and no powermeter. All I need to get started is a powermeter, ant+ dongle and zwift subscription, correct? I was planning on getting the assioma pedals for ease in swapping between bikes. Would the newer trainers (wahoo or tacx) with built in powermeter provide a better online experience? What about the extra $500, worth it or not?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbuckwa View Post
    Having never used Zwift or any other online cycling app, I have a few questions for those of you who do. I have a Lemond Revolution trainer and no powermeter. All I need to get started is a powermeter, ant+ dongle and zwift subscription, correct? I was planning on getting the assioma pedals for ease in swapping between bikes. Would the newer trainers (wahoo or tacx) with built in powermeter provide a better online experience? What about the extra $500, worth it or not?
    For me, having a smart trainer that can vary resistance based on terrain was a plus, and improved my virtual experience. I felt it was worth the investment. But, that may be different for someone else

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. What trainer are you using? Any consensus on what is the best one out there right now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply. What trainer are you using? Any consensus on what is the best one out there right now?
    There are a lot of good smart trainers out there. I have a KICKR 2018 and a KICKR Snap in the house. They both do what they are supposed to. For the extra money, having the direct drive is a better experience. The Kickr Core is probably the best value for direct drive right now.

There are other brands to look into as well. Check out Shane Millers YouTube channel and the DCRainmaker (Ray Maker) blog for a lot of good info. Clever Training is a good place to shop as well .

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still had a dumb trainer when I started zwift, a Fluid 2. Had a good experience with it, well, at least it kept me from looking at a wall, but when you hit a grade you only notice your speed dropping. I currently use a wheel-on trainer (Snap), and when you hit a grade the resistance goes up, just like out on the road...Much better experience IMHO.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have a wheel-on CyclceOps Magnus. It's OK but if I had to do it again I would spring for the extra money and get a direct drive trainer like the KickR Core. The downside of the wheel-on is more frequent calibration, lower accuracy and they typically cannot simulate higher grades. However, they are a lot cheaper

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I don't zwift. I look at the winter as just another cycling challenge Despite the colder weather and a bit of snow I'm on track for over 500 miles this December, which is pretty good for me. Even my best month(summer) I've only managed to exceed 800 miles a few times.

I also find that with the winter and fewer cyclists out there is a sort of camaraderie out there that doesn't exist in the summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    I don't zwift. I look at the winter as just another cycling challenge Despite the colder weather and a bit of snow I'm on track for over 500 miles this December, which is pretty good for me. Even my best month(summer) I've only managed to exceed 800 miles a few times.

I also find that with the winter and fewer cyclists out there is a sort of camaraderie out there that doesn't exist in the summer.
    It's a personal choice. However, recent scientific studies show the riders who ride outside though the winter are more likely to be sociopaths and have bad breath, whereas Zwift winter riders are considered more attractive by the opposite sex and have whiter teeth.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It's a personal choice. However, recent scientific studies show the riders who ride outside though the winter are more likely to be sociopaths and have bad breath, whereas Zwift winter riders are considered more attractive by the opposite sex and have whiter teeth.
    And are well endowed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

The Slow One.
    I've been on Zwift since it was in beta. I still use my LeMond, Quarq, and the base-level Alienware Alpha I bought when I started. If I had to choose between a smart trainer or a power meter, I would go power meter every time- you can take it on the road with you, giving more complete/consistent data throughout the year. You can always "upgrade" your trainer later, although you already own the most realistic-feeling, wheel-on trainer there is (if a bit loud). I have two of them, one for home and one I travel with. I have tried just about every smart trainer on the market, and I always come back to the LeMond.

Point is, don't spend a ton of money before you decide Zwift is going to be something you will stick with. A good, wheel-off smart trainer is not a small investment, and if you like your existing setup, add an ANT+ dongle and a power meter and/or speed sensor and roll with it.

Rub it............
    Power meter is in the future

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I've been on Zwift since it was in beta. I still use my LeMond, Quarq, and the base-level Alienware Alpha I bought when I started. If I had to choose between a smart trainer or a power meter, I would go power meter every time- you can take it on the road with you, giving more complete/consistent data throughout the year. You can always "upgrade" your trainer later, although you already own the most realistic-feeling, wheel-on trainer there is (if a bit loud). I have two of them, one for home and one I travel with. I have tried just about every smart trainer on the market, and I always come back to the LeMond.

Point is, don't spend a ton of money before you decide Zwift is going to be something you will stick with. A good, wheel-off smart trainer is not a small investment, and if you like your existing setup, add an ANT+ dongle and a power meter and/or speed sensor and roll with it.
    I appreciate your advice however I placed an order for a discounted Tacx Neo on Christmas Day which will arrive in a week. I'll see how it compares to the Lemond after it arrives. Have you tried the Tacx Neo and if so what are your thoughts vs. the Lemond Revolution?

The Slow One.
    I'll see how it compares to the Lemond after it arrives. Have you tried the Tacx Neo and if so what are your thoughts vs. the Lemond Revolution?
    It's been a while since I tried the Neo, so keep that in mind.
    - A lot quieter than the Revolution.
    - Nice, stable platform.
    - "Powermeter" tracked fairly well with SRM and Quarq through most power ranges. Some sprint efforts didn't respond quite as well, but that may have been dealt with in firmware upgrades since then.
    - "Road feel" not as realistic as with the Lemond. Then again, I spent some time with a belt tension gauge tuning my Lemonds, and that heavy fan flywheel is hard to beat.
    - I found the transitions for climbs somewhat unrealistic, to the point it was a jarring distraction. Again, this might have been fixed in firmware.
    - My particular unit was glitchy, and required occasional "resets" to work properly. Frustrating when you have a limited amount of time to work out, and this was a prime reason I returned it. One thing I really, really like about my LeMonds is that they are simple and bulletproof.

The Tacx was followed by a Kickr, which I liked more but ended up returning too. Both trainers have been refined quite a bit since then, because the market is big enough for them to afford to continue R&D. That's the big thing about Zwift's impact on the home trainer market. It's exploded much like power meters did when Quarq and Stages entered the market. It's a big win for the consumer, as long as they do the research.

Let's be honest- I pre-ordered my first LeMond when they were first introduced and paid retail (I think around $450 at the time). My second one I got for $150, an it was barely used. That first one has been going for 8 years (60-90min a day, 6 days a week, 6 months a year) without so much as a belt swap. In fact, I finally got around to thoroughly cleaning my original one for the first time a couple months ago. I did just order a couple belts from Sasquatch Legs, so chances are I can support these for another decade. I doubt I could get that kind of service life out of any Smart Trainer, even the impressively overbuilt Computrainer. Sometimes simple is better. YMMV.

Enjoy Zwift. It's a great way to distract yourself to pass the trainer time. There are a lot of ways to take part, from group rides to races to solo structured training... Find your niche and keep it in perspective. The real world is much more interesting.