Zwift sucks... upopular opinion? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016

Zwift sucks... upopular opinion?

Me too my power is higher indoor, thatís probably why we say that 1h indoor equal 2 hours outdoor.

I could point out some of the reasons it would be like this. First Iím pushing on descents more. The fact that the bike is fixed make my cadence lower which lead me to work on the strength side more than on the aerobic side. And to conclude Iím riding mostly 45 minutes to an hour and a half compare to 3-4 hours outdoors. I wouldnít be able to work on the strength side for 3-4 hours.

As far as motivation, being a dad with young kid and living in Canada when in November the sun is going down at 4pm during winter, thatís depressing !! So this tool is awesome for me...everything is relative

The group ride, race and challenge is keeping me having fun biking indoor.

Edit: I have a vortex because my sun and my wife both does also Zwift so a lot of bike changes... I was afraid of the Neo that I found more complex when installing the bike.

Next!

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    If you have a crank or hub power meter on the bike it might be more accurate that the Snap (which claims 3%). I have a Cyclops Magnus. My finding was the accuracy varied non-linearly across the range of watts. Comparing it with my Powertap wheel I found that the CyclOps over-reported watts at ~160W and below, often over 5%. At around 200W it matched the Powertap closely. Over 240W or so, it under-reported power. Over time I just chose to ignore all that and ride the bike but for folks that race on Zwift, you would want better accuracy
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Setting it to "Max" just makes the effort on gradients closer to real life. It may help "smooth out" your efforts and the power readings.
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I'm also using a Snap and initially used it as my power meter too...Found it very aggravating, efforts felt much harder than I thought they should've felt. Put my Stages on to use as my PM and kept the Snap as the controllable, helped a ton. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
    It's turning into winter where I live. Not by coincidence, my hours on the indoor trainer are increasing. It's a choice of not riding at all and riding on the trainer and for me it's riding the bike that matters. Maybe I should go to the gym and work on the core over the winter, but I have to drive somewhere for that.

Zwift is good for riding, but there are other options if you don't like Zwift. What I've noticed is I've got a higher FTP from training indoors, and my FTP diminishes over the warmer months when I'm outdoors. I should ride some indoors through the summer, but fresh air in the face can't be beat.
    I have noticed something similar with FTP. I generally ride much harder on Zwift than I do in real life. I try to keep the sessions short but more intense. During outdoor riding season I improve until the hot and humid weather hits and although I put in a lot more miles in July and August I find it hard to push myself when its hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    When it gets beastly hot, I either ride early in the morning or do an easier flatter route like a rail trail with lots of shade trees.
    Yeah, I do some of that also. There's a 26 mile trail that has some cover (not fully covered though), but when it's hot and humid, it's unforgiving, at least for me. As far as riding early, the only days I can do that are Saturdays or Sundays, but I like to get in at least some other rides during the week, which are typically during the heated time of the day. I'm ok starting out early and riding into some of the heat, just not starting out in the hottest part of the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Yes, Zwift sucks but it makes training inside a bit more palatable. One of the things that I hate about it is that nearly every ride just has to have tons of climbing.
    I also am going through an Android phone and then chromecast to a TV which isn't great but kind of works with some lag

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by turbofish View Post
    Yes, Zwift sucks but it makes training inside a bit more palatable. One of the things that I hate about it is that nearly every ride just has to have tons of climbing...
    The ability to pick a "flat route", and "location" to ride, is present at every login. Users don't have to ride the scheduled map...nor do they have to follow any of the pre-determined routes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    The ability to pick a "flat route", and "location" to ride, is present at every login. Users don't have to ride the scheduled map...nor do they have to follow any of the pre-determined routes.
    I'll have to play with a bit more. I saw that last night but ended up just doing a scheduled map

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'll have to play with a bit more. I saw that last night but ended up just doing a scheduled map
    To add to this, you can either ride Watopia or the Guest World. After you make that selection you can select a route. The list of routes can be sorted by distance or elevation gain. The desert Tempus Fugit and Tick Tock routes are very flat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, Zwift sucks but it makes training inside a bit more palatable. One of the things that I hate about it is that nearly every ride just has to have tons of climbing.
    I also am going through an Android phone and then chromecast to a TV which isn't great but kind of works with some lag
    In addition to Zwift, I've found that TrainerRoad makes riding on the trainer more interesting, too, because the training rides pushes me to meet targets and that keeps me motivated and preoccupied with focusing on meeting and completing those targets, while improving my riding capabilities.

As far as connection to the TV goes, I ended up getting the Apple 4k TV to run with my big screen TV. It handles things pretty nicely. I wish I could've used what I had, but it turned out positive - hell I use Apple TV for Netflix and couple other of my apps.

To add to this, you can either ride Watopia or the Guest World. After you make that selection you can select a route. The list of routes can be sorted by distance or elevation gain. The desert Tempus Fugit and Tick Tock routes are very flat
    That's good to know. I've been wondering how to find flat routes while doing my workouts on TrainerRoad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Question: How do y'all store your bike when off the trainer?

I didn't splash out for the extra cassette and so now I just clumsily take the wheel off, put it on a extra rear wheel with skewer and the rear-diff and chain just stay there un/tensioned. This as you can imagine, slightly adds to the misery of the whole experience.

Did you buy an extra cassette? I don't have a pain cave so I set it up in the open living space loft, but have to take it down after my ride because of kids toddling about.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post

I didn't splash out for the extra cassette and so now I just clumsily take the wheel off, put it on a extra rear wheel with skewer and the rear-diff and chain just stay there un/tensioned. This as you can imagine, slightly adds to the misery of the whole experience.

Did you buy an extra cassette? I don't have a pain cave so I set it up in the open living space loft, but have to take it down after my ride because of kids toddling about.
    I bought a "Campy" cassette and hub, with more hill friendly gearing, than what came with my Shimano installed '16 Kickr. However my old bike pretty much stays mounted, and has been relegated to trainer/rain duty. Thought I was having issues (definitely not the first) with the Kickr, and got a new one (2018?), also with Shimano cassette (Campy hub no longer supported ) but I think the issue is with the bike's BB. Given the amount of time I spend on it late fall (dark earlier) and winter, I think if I only had one bike, I'd get a 2nd cheap bike to break up/sweat on, just for Zwift duty.

In your case, would a chain keeping tool help?

Last edited by colnagoG60; 2 Days Ago at 12:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Are you saying you are swapping one cassette back and forth? If so, an extra $40 cassette seems well worth it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Riding indoors just sucks. That's the baseline. Anything to make that better is a plus.
    thus why I just ride the mountain bike and hike in the winter months (when I am not in sunny Arizona at my vacation home!) .

I also bought a smart trainer a couple years ago. I hate it. I am 25 years from when I quit bike racing, so no need for it. No Zwift for me
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you saying you are swapping one cassette back and forth? If so, an extra $40 cassette seems well worth it
    No. I removed the cassette off my wheel and installed it on the KICKR. I remove the main bike off the KICKR when I need to roll it up and out of the way in our living space. I place a second wheel in my rear dropout and tighten the skewer. Because that wheel doesn't have a cassette the mech is all wonky.

This is causing me WAYYYYY to much stress and BS so if you are in NYC metro and need a literally brand new Wahoo KICKR in box with the foam mat for even less than black Friday pricing...get at me. I can't justify the pricing given how little I use it.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    thus why I just ride the mountain bike and hike in the winter months (when I am not in sunny Arizona at my vacation home!) .

I also bought a smart trainer a couple years ago. I hate it. I am 25 years from when I quit bike racing, so no need for it. No Zwift for me
    I'm headed to AZ to my in-laws for almost two weeks and want to rent a bike in PHX. I hear it's cold AF there in the AM hours when I'd be looking to ride, tis true?

LOLOLOL

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I hear it's cold AF there in the AM hours when I'd be looking to ride, tis true?
    Only if youíre a Phoenician. 50F this am, going to 67F this afternoon.

Ive been to Rio Verde in the northeast of the Valley of the Sun a couple of times. It seems to be the far end of the loop for many Phoenix roadies. Plus there is excellent mountain biking in McDowell Regional Park.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Only if youíre a Phoenician. 50F this am, going to 67F this afternoon.

Ive been to Rio Verde in the northeast of the Valley of the Sun a couple of times. It seems to be the far end of the loop for many Phoenix roadies. Plus there is excellent mountain biking in McDowell Regional Park.
    I'm going to be in the NW portion or quadrant of Phoenix as demarcated by the major highways going NS and EW... Frankly, coming from the frozen north east I'd be fine just cycling in a straight line on one of those seemingly endless avenues for miles.

LOLOLOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12