Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?

94K views 212 replies 37 participants last post by  skyline4me 
#1 ·
They have them in my local Giant shop - going to try an set up a test ride - anyone riding one yet?
Was interested in the Pro - but the advanced @ 2300 CAD is very interesting - seems like the sweet spot of the range.

#88 ·
I just ordered my TCR Advanced Pro 1 as I too was greatly attracted by the value of having Di2 even though I have never used it in person. It was hard to pass up the value in that build. Plus I wanted the all carbon OverDrive 2.
I will be sure to post some pic and a review when it arrives.
Like some others have mentioned I will be taking the chainrings off in favor of going to a true compact 50/34 as well as moving to a 11-32 cassette. It’s a climbing bike after all, even though Di2 is not a lightest group set, I still want it as my body is where I can make the most weight gains lol.

Wheels: I’m pretty sure I’m just going to sell the stock Giant wheels. Also mentioned before I want a wider rim. I have been running HED Ardennes for some time and I can’t get over what a nice profile the give a 25mm tire at 60 psi. I already have an aero bike with deep section wheels for crit racing, thus this will be my climber. I really want to go head in a grab the New tubeless Zipp 303 as they have 21 mm wide internal rims or maybe Stan Avion. But then again they are a little deeper than a true “climbing wheel”. I still would not sacrifice rim width for a lighter wheel as what is the point of having disc brakes and then limiting your contact patch so that you might actually take advantage of all that braking/grip.

I’m really concerned with the tire clearance, SURE it looks great at the fork and the seat stays BUT the limiting factor being where it passes the seat tube and where it goes better the chain stays. I’m I going to have a problem as the Zipps claim the best aero gains with a 28mm tire and that on a 21 mm wide internal rim would be more like a 30. That is my number one concern with this bike, not that I plan to run anything over a 25, but a 28 for the winter here in Seattle.

#89 ·
I ended up ordering the rim version TCR Advanced SL2 KOM (Red) as I wanted to use my two month old Zipp 404 NSW's on this beautiful bike. If not for the new wheels I would most likely ended up getting the Advanced SL 0 disk.
My new bike will be stripped down to the frame and reassembled with Dura Ace 9100 groupset, Zipp 404 NSW's, Enve bar with Giant propriatery carbon stem. I'll get a professional fitting as soon as the bike is done. Can't wait!

#90 ·
I ended up ordering the rim version TCR Advanced SL2 KOM
Aeolite, nice choice! If I hadn't wanted disc brakes, I would definitely have considered the Advanced SL2 KOM. It's a climber, for sure, with the compact chainrings and 11-32 cassette. Even with an 11-28, you'll get up any hill segments very quickly. Enjoy your ride once it's set up the way you want it.

#94 ·
So I finally got to ride the bike with the Giant SLR 1 wheels, and I can now say that the harsh ride was from the Enve wheels, I am thinking more specifically the width of them. The Enves are really wide, so the tire is stretched and there is less sidewall. The Reynolds wheels on my old TCR are very narrow, and you can visually see how bulbous the tires sit on the wheel compared to the Enve and even the the SLR wheels, so I am deducing the really nice ride quality is from the added sidewall flex. That said, the Enve wheels definitely hold your speed better than either of those wheels. Will probably alternate between the two depending on conditions. It's really nice to be able to swap wheels without having to switch brake pads, readjust the calipers for the pad depth or mess around with toe on the pads.
The disc brakes really earned their keep yesterday after I had to ride the brakes in order to descend a mile long 13% grade in pea soup fog, wet roads and 35 degree temps. Only had about 10 feet of vision. The brakes worked great and were consistent the whole way down.

#102 ·
I had a chance to ride this bike yesterday. My first time since building it this past winter.

I have Reynolds Assault wheels, like I think Mopho has or had (can't remember if he says he still has them or not). I also have 25c Schwalbe Pro One tubeless.

There was no harshness whatsoever in my ride over 36 miles. Now, the bike isn't plush over potholes, but what road bike is?

I absolutely love this bike. The build came in around 16 lbs, and I can't be more happy.

If you are on the fence about this frame, you will not be disappointed. I think for the price of a frameset, it can't be beat.

#105 ·
Congratulations on completing what looks to be an exceptional build. I've got a real interest in the comments regarding wheel choice simply because my TCR is completely stock. I'm pretty certain that my first upgrade will be wheels. I will say, though, that I am pretty happy with the stock Giant wheels and the tubeless setup. Enjoy your ride!

#107 · (Edited)
Well I can't find the Giant bike pic thread so I thought I would upload some pics of the new stead as I was going to get a TCR SL0 Disc..... but I gave up in frustration and decided to update my IM bike instead... I may still get a TCR SL0 Disc... or maybe a Propel Disc if it's released this year !!! :wink::wink:

Couple of upgrades already with ditching the stock PA2 aero wheels after reading that they break nipples, spokes and go out of true pretty easily... ( my girlfriends Avail broke a nipple today on her PA2 wheelset probably out of sympathy!!! ) and I upgraded to some new Duraace C24's as they're absolutely bombproof and a **** load lighter - I already have some Zipp F/C's with 240s hubs from my sold off Felt DA for the BIG days.... and I also threw on a Quarq PM that I had already purchased for my SL0 Disc that never turned up....

I've just had a basic fit awaiting a more detailed specific fit but a nice ride after a short shakedown ride as I couldn't resist.... Etap is awesome although i would hazard to guess that Duraace DI2 would also be great.... the front aero/ water vault system is massive and it holds 2 complete water bottles full of fluids plus also the smaller aero bottle on the downtube as well.. just a few other smaller changes compared to the '16 model but nothing too major, and just a few tweaks like the aero bottle tube positioniong and tube size to be sorted and it'll be perfect!! :):cool::cool::)

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire

#108 ·
Sweet looking bike Stu!! That should keep you entertained while waiting for the SL0 that may never come! I know that eTap will be awesome.

I ended up going with the TCR Advanced Pro Disc. Picked it up last week and got about 200 miles on it so far. Will post up my thoughts and pics later this week, but in short, I'm super happy with the bike!

#112 ·
Hi all, I jump into this very interesting topic. I plan to buy the 2017 Giant TCR Advanced pro Disc. Unfortunately the bike won't be available in Europe before several months.

This lets me time to think about the best way to adapt the gears to my needs. I fear that the 52/36 - 11/28 may be too hard for not so flat areas like the one I live in.

I read that some of you ride compact gears (50/34 - 11-32).

Has anyone tested (52-/36 - 11-32)?

Any advices on the best compromise?

Thanks !

#117 ·
hello all, I've been browsing various forums and the TCR Adv disc series are talked about here... my new frameset is quietly waiting for the necessary tools to start being built (TorqTite wrenches).

Size S frame, 955g with water bottle bolts and the grommets, drop out, and FD mount, uncut seat post. Fork is 329g uncut.

Seat mast is 110g while all the spacers are 12g. Then the thru axles are 64 and 75 front and rear respectively.

Didn't weight the headset yet. Top cover is carbon fiber about 9mm stack. I think I will stick with the normal steerer tube expander at 48g. Anyone tried the Aircap?

Will transplant the existing R785+6870 Di2. I hate the Di2 entrance at top tube facing the drive side... it's a cheap design decision by copying the rim brake version frameset. Should be going with rear brake hose. Need to get eTap HRD to get rid of the stupid cable things... I even configured my Di2 buttons for RD same as eTap.

Feels quality everywhere. It's the cheapest top range among the competitors, costs the same as a S3 Disc frameset (both after discount).

Anyway, can't wait to bring it out, guess it would look awesome under proper sunshine :D

#118 ·
I hate the Di2 entrance at top tube facing the drive side... it's a cheap design decision by copying the rim brake version frameset. Should be going with rear brake hose.

Agreed, I ran the Di2 Wire in with the rear brake hose, cleans it up perfectly.
Also am disappointed that they didn't do internal routing through the fork for the front brake hose. They claim they didn't do it because it saves weight, but I bet next year it will have the internal routing so they can say there has been an "upgrade" to the frame :mad2:

#127 ·
I picked up a new Giant TCR Advance Disc a few weeks ago and have several 70 mile rides on it. The bike feels incredibly responsive, however, feels just a little harsher overall than the Scott Foil it's replacing.

I did make a few changes to the bike:

• Specialized Power Pro saddle
  • Power2Max Rotor cranks
  • ITM X-Zero stem (It's very hard to find a 1 1/4" stem with more drop than the stock stem
  • Kore headset top cap that's 5mm lower than the stock cap

The bike as seen weighs 17.1 pounds (including pedals, cage, computer), which isn't too bad for an Ultegra Di2, disc brake equipped bike.

When the tires wear out, I'll probably replace with Bontrager R3 TLR tires, which are tubeless tires ... though about going back to tubes, but as many flats as I get from road staples, I'm going to keep the tubeless set up.

Attachments

#134 ·
A little off topic, but looking for info on the stock Giant SL OD2 stem. I bought a 2017 Defy Advanced PRO 1 (not the TCR), but need a longer stem. (I assume the two models are similar and use the same stem/size)?
I happened to have a longer Specialized 1-1/4" stem, but it was too large for the steerer? Anyone know if only the proprietary OD2 stem fits properly?
Thanks

#138 ·
Ritchey, Pro, Zipp and ITM all make stems that will fit. The Pro Vibe 7 stems are harder to find, though it looks like you can get them shipped from Taiwan by ordering from Ebay.

The Zipp and Ritchey are +/-6 degree stems ... the Pro and ITM are +/-10 stems ... I have the ITM X-Zero on my bike and like it well enough.

All of the giant 1 1/4" stems will fit on the TCR and I believe all are +/-8 degree stems.

#141 ·
Just an FYI for those looking for a lower drop stem...

It looks like Ritchey has -17 degree rise stems for the Giant/Canyon bikes that have 1 1/4" steerer tubes.

I just ordered a 110mm/-17 from Universalcycles.com that should be here next Tuesday. I was thinking of going the custom route, but just saw these available and thought I'd share the news for those that don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.