2020 Domane Gravel build - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    What a great looking awesome custom build bike! It looks very fast. You better be fast!

I can't even imagine the amount of spare change lying around for such a beauty.

Congrats!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks
    Single, no kids, prime earning years. I'd rather have a wife and kids but that never worked out. So now I have time to train and a few bucks to spend on toys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Nice looking bike. I'm curious, do you also have a road bike? If so, how does this compare in terms of the size you selected? Did you go for the same top tube length as your roadie or something different? I'm planning on building a gravel rig this year. My two road bikes have 575mm top tubes. Not sure if I want the same size or not. I've heard some people go down a size for gravel and CX for a little more agility and standover room. TIA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Nice looking bike. I'm curious, do you also have a road bike? If so, how does this compare in terms of the size you selected? Did you go for the same top tube length as your roadie or something different? I'm planning on building a gravel rig this year. My two road bikes have 575mm top tubes. Not sure if I want the same size or not. I've heard some people go down a size for gravel and CX for a little more agility and standover room. TIA.
    Top tube is a useful reference point but what I look for is reach and stack. The height of my bars relative to the bottom bracket between my road and cross bikes is significant, ~60 mm or so. My goal with the Domane was to be about 30mm above my road bike bar height. My Cervelo S5 disc is very low in front, focused on aero. Fore-aft reach, I was aiming for about 10 mm closer than the reach on my S5. Those targets were impossible with the standard Domane geometry but fit perfectly with the optional Pro geometry.

My cross bikes are shorter reach and taller bar height. Make sure you have measurements for the relationship between the bottom bracket centerline of the bars and seat. Then your relationship from the seat to the wheelbase will dictate weight distribution and how the bike handles. I did not intentionally choose a smaller frame for handling.
    Last edited by Emilio700; 01-29-2020 at 03:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Top tubes tend to be longer and stems shorter for gravel bikes ... the overall reach to the bars is basically the same, but the center of gravity is different on gravel bikes.

I wouldn't use the same geometry as your road bike ... but look at what should be considered an equal size gravel bike for your size road bike ... so, S/M/L/XL, etc. figure out what those dimensions are and go from there.

If you don't know ... test ride, test ride, test ride.

Myself ... My set up is similar to that of my road bikes, however the reach is 1cm longer and the stem 1cm shorter. I'd prefer to have 2-3cm more reach in the frame with a shorter stem ... but I have a weird fit with long arms and body and short legs: If I get a bike with the correct reach, I can't stand over it and the bar is "WAY' to tall, so I have to size down 1-2 sizes and make it work.

I have also eliminated all my road bikes now and just have my gravel bike with an extra set of wheels so I can switch out between road and gravel tires easily ... works just fine, but being on a 1x drivetrain the gaps can be a little large on the road, but not a huge deal overall since I'm not road racing any longer.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Update after a few thousand miles of mostly offroad use. Had the nuts that hold the isospeed trunion in place come loose. Misdiagnosed as a loose headset so I rode on it for a while that way. Doh. Thankfully, the nuts (#22 in schematic) have a conical versus shank seat design. So the bosses in the frame weren't ovalized. A bit of tiny carbon fragments but I escaped a major frame repair. The nuts have an integral eccentric washer that keeps them from spinning as you turn the center bolt (#21) to torque down. The nuts were blue loctited from the factory. Cleaned and red loctited, then probably over torqued a wee bit. No play, all good now. The bolts on my Boone with front isospeed never came loose with maybe 3x the miles and a bunch of cross races. Maybe a different fastener design on the '18 Boone, dunno

So if you have a 2020 Domane and ride it off road, might not be a bad idea to preemptively pull those fasteners and red loctite them to factory torque spec.

isospeed_nut.JPG
    www.949Racing.com
    (what I do when I'm not riding)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Update after a few thousand miles of mostly offroad use. Had the nuts that hold the isospeed trunion in place come loose. Misdiagnosed as a loose headset so I rode on it for a while that way. Doh. Thankfully, the nuts (#22 in schematic) have a conical versus shank seat design. So the bosses in the frame weren't ovalized. A bit of tiny carbon fragments but I escaped a major frame repair. The nuts have an integral eccentric washer that keeps them from spinning as you turn the center bolt (#21) to torque down. The nuts were blue loctited from the factory. Cleaned and red loctited, then probably over torqued a wee bit. No play, all good now. The bolts on my Boone with front isospeed never came loose with maybe 3x the miles and a bunch of cross races. Maybe a different fastener design on the '18 Boone, dunno

So if you have a 2020 Domane and ride it off road, might not be a bad idea to preemptively pull those fasteners and red loctite them to factory torque spec.

isospeed_nut.JPG

www.949Racing.com

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post

So what is the torque spec?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    So what is the torque spec?
    I believe it is in the image posted of the parts list, 5.2nm
    www.949Racing.com

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Ah, I see it now. Thanks.