2020 Domane Gravel build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

2020 Domane Gravel build

2020_Domane_ProEndurance_60cm_side.jpg

With the 2020 Trek Domane SLR gaining so much tire clearance, I saw that it fit my needs for a gravel race bike perfectly. I don't bikepack but I'm looking forward to running fenders on it for wet winter road rides. Integrated fender mounts make this a breeze.

Standard Domane Endurance geometry was too tall for me. The lower Pro Endurance geometry only available through their Project One custom site. Splashed some flashy paint on it while I was in there

60 CM Pro Endurance geometry
    Dura Ace Di2
    D/A power meter 180mm cranks
    Ultegra 46/34T
    D/A 140mm rotors
    Ultegra RX805 clutch derailleur
    D/A front derailleur
    XT 11-40T cassette
    Bontrager 42cm x 12cm XXX one piece carbon bars
    Specialized power saddle
    Crank Bros Egg Beater 11 pedals
    Carbon cages

DT240 hubs
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    Light Bicycle 23mm internal carbon tubeless
    Michelin Power Gravel 35c

Weighs about 18.5 lbs. I knew the build would be a bit heavy but comfort and durability is far more important at mile 150 in Dirty Kanza than a few grams here or there.

Tire clearance in rear is 54mm. The Michelins measure 37.2mm on my wheels. Easily room for a 40c pushed out to 42mm on a wide rim. Running fenders will require smaller tires of course. Winter road plan is 28c GP500 tubeless

Build notes:
    FD adjustment slot would not go low enough for 46T chainring. Had to file it about 2mm lower to get correct FD height.

Cables are easy to run despite being all internal. Didn't even need my Park IR 1.2 cable routing kit that every other IR bike I have built required.

On all my Di2 bikes I install the wireless transmitter between the bars and TT. This allows easier service but also lets me unplug shifters from battery. For any Di2 owners who have inadvertently drained their battery by storing the bike against a Di2 trigger..

T47 threaded BB is awesome!

Storage roll in DT is way too small for gravel tube. Barely enough room for road tube. I plan to find a small pump that will fit in there. Ordered the Bontrager BITS multitool that clicks into the cover on the inside.

2020_Domane_ProEndurance_60cm_cables.jpg
    Trek_2020_Geometry.jpg
    www.949Racing.com
    (what I do when I'm not riding)

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    Tire clearance in rear is 54mm. The Michelins measure 37.2mm on my wheels. Easily room for a 40c pushed out to 42mm on a wide rim. Running fenders will require smaller tires of course. Winter road plan is 28c GP500 tubeless
    Better yet, get a 650b wheel set so you can run larger tires with the fenders.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Better yet, get a 650b wheel set so you can run larger tires with the fenders.
    I have no need for large tires with fenders. Only need fenders for road riding in the rain on 28's.

Personally, I have no interest or need for tires wider than about 40c. Everyone has their own preference, riding style and preferred terrain.
    www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet build. I'm not a flashy orange kind of guy, but everyone has their color preferences. I really like your choice of components, and the nice clean look.
    Joe Biden: a case study in plastic surgery disasters.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I abso-freakin'-lutely love the color choice! Being a child of the '80s when neon colors became a thing, I've always wanted a bright orange bike.

I can only dream that my boring black 2020 Domane will somehow magically change colors

Banned Sock Puppet
    I have no need for large tires with fenders. Only need fenders for road riding in the rain on 28's.

Personally, I have no interest or need for tires wider than about 40c. Everyone has their own preference, riding style and preferred terrain.
    OK, I misunderstood and thought you may have wanted to keep a similar tire width that you use without the fenders.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I like it. I identified the same potential when I saw a SL version in a local shop. I also see people are doing something similar at a much lower price point with the new Giant Contend AR, which has the same tire clearance. Both seem like great mixed terrain bikes. Specialized has to be hating themselves for limiting the new Roubaix’s tire clearance to 33mm now.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful build! And 18.5 is not heavy by any means for a gravel bike. I personally want room for more tire in the front, not the rear but everyone has their own preferences. Sure wish someone would come out with a good sub compact crank dual sided power meter. Did you build it from a frame up? If so curious why you didn't choose GRX components and a more gravel specific handlebar?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Rashadabd,

Yup. The days of the single purpose road bike might be over. The folks that don't race aren't even aware of the massive tire clearance, aren't concerned with a few grams of extra weight and oh looky, rack mounts!

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Beautiful build! And 18.5 is not heavy by any means for a gravel bike. I personally want room for more tire in the front, not the rear but everyone has their own preferences. Sure wish someone would come out with a good sub compact crank dual sided power meter. Did you build it from a frame up? If so curious why you didn't choose GRX components and a more gravel specific handlebar?
    Thanks. The cranks on this bike are dual sided power with a 46/34. Not cheap but flawless function and will last forever. As a bonus, Ultegra rings are way less expensive than D/A. I imagine a non series or Ultegra power meter crank is on its way from Shimano. Cranks are a fraction of the cost though, the expense is in the meters.

Yah, frame up build. If I am only switching one or two components, it's cheaper to buy a complete bike. In my case, I wanted everything but the shifters, FD and calipers to be custom.

Not a huge fan of the flared GRX shifters. Still prefer road hoods even for gravel. JD/A is also quite a bit lighter. Just personal preference.

Also not a fan of flared bars. I ride gravel like I do road. I race cyclocross and use standard road bars there too, 3T Ergonova carbon to be precise.
    Last edited by Emilio700; 12-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    www.949Racing.com

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks. The cranks on this bike are dual sided power with a 56/34.
    Is this an error?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Is this an error?
    oops, yes typo. Same 46/34 as in my original post.
    www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks. The cranks on this bike are dual sided power with a 46/34. Not cheap but flawless function and will last forever.

Not a huge fan of the flared GRX shifters.

Also not a fan of flared bars.
    The 46/34 is still a compact crank not sub compact which is what I would like to see. 46 or 47 / 30 or 31 combinations are perfect for gravel IMHO but it depends on the grades you have around you - if there's nothing long over 10% compact gearing works fine for me.

I didn't realize the GRX Shifters are flared, thought that was just the bars? Personally I like the 785 shifters better than the current versions of Di2 Hydraulic because they are wider and distribute the weight better, but haven't had a chance to put my hands on the GRX shifters yet. I like that the GRX shifters put the hidden button on the inside instead by the thumb of the top, that's a great design change they should do with their road shifters too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    The asymmetric 110mm BCD on 11s Dura Ace / Ultegra / 105 allows anything from 34-44t inner and 42-56t outer. I run the exact same crank on my road bike (Cervelo S5 disc) with 52/36 and will run a single 42t ring on my cyclocross race bike. Quite versatile.

Dura Ace have the hidden buttons under the hood. That's where that feature made its debut several years ago. Not sure if Ultegra has them. I use that button for switching pages on the Garmin.

Visit the Shimano site for more info.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../FC-R8000.html
    Last edited by Emilio700; 12-31-2019 at 09:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The asymmetric 110mm BCD on 11s Dura Ace / Ultegra / 105 allows anything from 34-44t inner and 42-56t outer. I run the exact same crank on my road bike (Cervelo S5 disc) with 52/36 and will run a single 42t ring on my cyclocross race bike. Quite versatile.

Dura Ace have the hidden buttons under the hood. That's where that feature made its debut several years ago. Not sure if Ultegra has them. I use that button for switching pages on the Garmin.

Visit the Shimano site for more info.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../FC-R8000.html
    i am very familiar with compact cranks and the Dura Ace power meter - I want a crank based SUB compact power meter like a GRX crank not compact / 110BCD. There's probably a dozen options for compact / 110 BCD crank based power meters, I already of 2 of those (Power2Max and Pioneer). Sub compact small rings are 30/31/32, not 34.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Ah. That's sorta MTB territory. I ran XTR 2x cranks on my gravel bike for a while just for that reason but those were single sided. Used Wolftooth custom rings. Had a 28/44 on XTR 10s. That's a tough one, 31t and dual sided. I'd start a new thread on the MTB section to see if anyone has an option. Good luck.
    www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah. That's sorta MTB territory. I ran XTR 2x cranks on my gravel bike for a while just for that reason but those were single sided. Used Wolftooth custom rings. Had a 28/44 on XTR 10s. That's a tough one, 31t and dual sided. I'd start a new thread on the MTB section to see if anyone has an option. Good luck.
    nobody makes them right now, lots of people looking for them. My money is on power2max or Easton to be the first to the market with a set. For now I use my power2max compact.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    nobody makes them right now, lots of people looking for them. My money is on power2max or Easton to be the first to the market with a set. For now I use my power2max compact.
    https://rotorbike.com/catalog/defaul.../inspider.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's compact not sub compact from what I can see, smallest rings are 34.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

40c on 2020 Domane

Got the 40c Ramblers fitted, 41.2mm actual on these rims. Roughly 6mm clearance on either side, both front and rear. That's at widest point. Chainstay clearance is curved so less clearance at other points on casing. Plenty for slightly muddy conditions. Wouldn't want to go much bigger in heavy mud. Guessing you could safely stuff a 44mm tire in there in dry conditions for a light to medium rider. Heavy riders tend to flex wheels more thus more likely to get tire rub out of the saddle.
    2020_Domane_40C.jpgDomane_40C_Clearance.jpg

www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    First big mountain ride. 61 miles, 9,100' gain. On the 40c ramblers.

011820_Domane_Blackstar.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Emilio700; 01-25-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Wow... now that's gravel riding! Where's the nearest coffee shop?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Wow... now that's gravel riding! Where's the nearest coffee shop?
    None on that particular route. It's pretty much all Cleveland National Forest.

Good coffee in OC though. Scouting some more urban/mixed gravel routes for a ride I want to put on. Start/finishes at a brewpub with 40 taps, french bakery at halfway point. Should be fun.
    www.949Racing.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    First big mountain ride. 61 miles, 9,100' gain. On the 40c ramblers.

011820_Domane_Blackstar.jpg
    Terrain Enve! Where is this, looks awesome!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Cleveland National Forest is not in or near Cleveland, Ohio where it's all flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    4000 to 6,000 ft range about 20 miles inland, southern California. Eastern border of Orange county. I live and work at the base of the Western slope. In the distance is the 1500 ft coastal range where I rode the Domane yesterday. Spectacular panorama's of the hazy blue Pacific. Tough living but someone has to do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast