RoadBikeReview Member

2x or 1x? Hydro or cables brakes?

Well, this is going to be a hot topic thread, recently picked up 2013 Salsa Vaya rolling chassis and I'm trying to decide which route I wanna go with the drivetrain and brakes. The bike will primarily be used as a commuter, but I do have a few bike packing trips planned with it later on this year.

At the moment, it doesn't have a drivetrain. The freehub is 11 speed and the brakes are BB7-ST's.

I was thinking about putting my Sram Apex group on it with a 11-36 cassette (will need a SRAM GX rear derailleur) paired with my current Rival 52/36 crankset. It seems Sram's road cranksets are meant for bikes with 130 mm axle spacing, the Vaya has 135, will this be an issue for the chainline?

Alternatively, I can go 1x but I haven't decided on what chainring I want to pair with an 11-42 cassette yet.

I've also noticed that I have some hand pain when trying to modulate brakes these days, this may be worsened when I take the bike bikepacking with some cargo. Naturally, hydraulic brakes have much easier modulation, with the trade-off being not field repairable, is it a worthwhile trade-off?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    2X versus 1X. You can get the same gearing range now fairly easily on both...the giant caveat to that statement, is that nixing the FD in 1x means much larger gear spacing until 14-speed 1x is a thing....also even with narrow-wide chainrings you'll need/want a catcher for the chain anyway. The larger the gear spacing, the more you have to compromise with your body's motor on cadence. Which is an entirely "you" kind of decision. I personally think 1x is a fad and a kludge ATM, unless you're using a "1x" IGH system with a 14-speed Rohloff.

I love my hydraulics...having played with mechanicals and HyRd calipers on shop bikes--I'm still surprised how bad even "good" mechanicals feel compared to good hydraulics like Shimano Ultegra.

I don't do SRAM so cannot vouch for chainline compatibility. I'd think it would work. But that would be a question for cxwrench who's a wrench who knows his SRAM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good point on the spacing between cogs in a 1x setup.

I've built up a road bike with a 1x setup (52t crank, 11-36 10 speed cassette) and I can definitely see where the jumps are an issue when riding with a group. When I'm riding solo, it doesn't bother me as much. For comparison purposes, my current commuter is a 2x 52/36 and a 11-26 10 speed cassette, the top and bottom end are the same on both bikes just bigger gaps.

The simplicity of a 1x setup for gravel/commuting does seem appealing from a simplicity and ease of maintenance perspective. On the other hand, the added range of a 2x is also nice, but this is probably more of wishful thinking than practical (how often will I need a ultra low range vs 52+11 combo? I guess it just boils down to which I should prioritize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally I see no advantage to 1x, I like the tighter spacing. Not having to use the long DR can be advantageous in some environments where it's exposed to more debris like muddy gravel. As far as brakes, I would not be concerned about field serviceability, they are robust and shouldn't cause problems and they WAY outperform mechanical brakes.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    My opinion:

2x or 1x - Your choice

Hydro or mechanical - HYDRO, hands down!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I’m still happy with 2x... other than saving the cost of 1 shifter and FD, I see zero benefit. Gear range is one thing to match, but I weigh versatility as a bigger benefit... sure I may race cross almost entirely in the small ring, but having the big ring and tighter spacing in the back is a benefit on almost every other ride...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hydro - yeah, no debate.

2x or 1x - yeah, debatable. I recently went the 2x route at the same time was building a 1x mtn bike. Full disclosure - I regularly ride the following road bikes: two 2x11s, a 1x11 and a single speed. I get the cog gap thing.

When planning out the gravel bike, it seemed that category has the biggest range of required gearing. Sure the MTB has steeper climbs, but no 25 mph paved sections. The road has lots of fast sections, but no 15% FS road switchback climbs.

I went with an r8000 2x11 - 50/34 and an 11-34 cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am a 2x kind of guy. I really like the 50/34-11/34 combo. I haven't really tried the 48/32 or 46/30 setups though. I am definitely into hydro as well. Never going back to cable only.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    to echo what has been said re 1x vs 2x: with a bike that will see gravel and pavement, I want both gearing range AND reasonable gear spacing, so I don't see myself going 1x until they come out with 14 speed cassettes (I can to that number independently of the first poster that said it).

I like the idea of 1x, though, and will be going that route for my mtb, where I am fine with (even prefer) the wider gear spacing.

Regarding Hydro vs Mech on the brakes.... I have both on my MTBs, and slightly prefer Hydro for that, but I decided to go with mechs for the road/gravel bike. Both are plenty powerful for road and gravel use, but Hydros definitely feel nicer. The reason I went with mechs is because after 15 years of using both on my MTBs, my experience is that while hydros are near-zero maintenance when everything is working as it should, they can occasionally be a huge PITA, and have cost me several days of missed rides, and 2 rides finished short one brake (both things that have never happened with mechs). For MTB the hassle is worth the performance benefits to me, and the bike I run them on is high maintenance anyway (full suspension). For road/gravel use.. not so much.

One difference between road/gravel and MTB with the mechs: I find that on road and gravel use, the wear is slow enough that the ongoing mech brake fiddling on my gravel bike is a lot less then is is on my MTB with mechs.

I went with BB7s, simply because I was so familiar with them from MTB use. In retrospect I might have gone with Spyres instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    2x for sure.

If you go with cables for brakes, cable actuated hydraulic calipers is a very sweet way to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its been a while since I've been on here. I ended up with a 3x9 groupset from a friend with bar end shifters. Sadly on my 4th day of riding, I crashed into a trailer with it. Didn't break anything, but I took a month off due to a very wet September and easing back into riding in October. The bike was sturdy enough to only lose some paint and dented the head tube. The shifter broke when the shift cable caught and ripped off.

In the 88 miles that I managed to put on the bike, I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep the bike. Just feels too sluggish and heavy all around.

In other news, I picked up a 2016 GT Grade X with a Sram Rival 1 Hydro drivetrain. Originally I was going to swap it onto the Vaya, but I think I prefer the ride of the GT more and may end up keeping that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    If you go with cables for brakes, cable actuated hydraulic calipers is a very sweet way to go.
    I never quite understood this. It seems like all you would get is two items of maintenance rather than just one.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    In other news, I picked up a 2016 GT Grade X with a Sram Rival 1 Hydro drivetrain. Originally I was going to swap it onto the Vaya, but I think I prefer the ride of the GT more and may end up keeping that.
    The GT Grade is a nice bike and I was considering it. What I didn't like about it was it only had room for 35mm tires and it comes with a 52/36 crankset rather than a 50/34. I ended up going with the Jamis Renegade Exploit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I never quite understood this. It seems like all you would get is two items of maintenance rather than just one.
    You get to keep cable brake levers with improved hydraulic brake performance. But when you can get a full set of Shimano Ultegra-level shifters/brakes for $250 or so (then sell your cable brake shifters), they don't really make much sense. There's potentially a cost savings with the hy/rds, but it's not very big.

Anyway, I'm a fan of 1x and hydraulic. My 29er "gravel" bike has a 38t with an 11-28 and Shimano 685/785 shifters/brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Well it's better than full mechanical, but you don't have the full hydraulic system to setup and deal with. There's not much to do with caliper other than adjust it and replace pads.

The reason I got it because I was tired of fiddling with adjustments of the Shimano Ultegra mech brake caliper. Having to deal with inboard/outboard pad adjustments, centering, cable slack etc. There's a small window of annoying adjustment to get it just right so that there's no drag, but minimal slack to get full brake usage.

I was done with dealing with it so i bought a Yokozuna Motoko brake caliper and couldn't be happier.

Sure I could have bought a full hydraulic system..but **** that it was way easier and quicker to replace it with a Motoko. And I really like having a cable actuated hydraulic brake, it really seems like there's just less to it.

Slowski
    My experience with mechanical disc brakes is pretty limited to the borrowed CX bike my son is using. Based on that experience however, I would never own a mechanical disc brake setup. I have hydro on my CX bike, and it is a night and day difference. Sure there could be issues with the setup of the borrowed mechanical system, but the lever effort and feel is terrible compared to my hydro discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    An important thing to keep in mind is that any meaningful evaluation of mechanical disc brakes must be done using compression-less brake housing. It makes a big difference.

They will still fall short of hydraulics, but the gap will be smaller than with standard brake housing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    From my time with cable disc, it is definitely better (and noisier) than standard rim brakes. But in the few days that I have ridden hydraulic, there is no comparison.

As my friend described it "hydraulic disc is like a 4K television, you don't need it but it sure is nice and you will definitely notice a difference when you go back to 1080p"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Hydro brakes are great
    I really like 1x on my gravel bike. I also take it on the road, including a couple of 300K rides. Like the rear derail.'s clutch mechanism because it keeps the chain under tension on rocky descents and 1x is nice in the mud. Nothing wrong with 2x but 1x works for me.