• 05-22-2020
    s-one
    Can a Specialized Roubaix be turned into a gravel bike?
    Hi all,

I have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 that i had used mainly for road however I'm started to see myself doing slightly more unpaved roads/more like gravel than full out mountain bike trails. So is it possible to convert my Roubaix to a gravel bike?

thanks kindly.
  • 05-22-2020
    J.R.
    I think the main drawback will be the tire size limitations. A quick search leads me to believe that the largest tire you can fit is a 25mm.
  • 05-22-2020
    s-one
    Thank you for responding. Is that because of my forks? If so is it possible to replaced the forks to something that would accommodate larger/wider tires?
  • 05-22-2020
    JSR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s-one View Post
    Thank you for responding. Is that because of my forks? If so is it possible to replaced the forks to something that would accommodate larger/wider tires?

Its the fork as well as the rear stays that are limiting. It may even be the brakes.

There seems to be consensus that ~40mm is the size of tire you’d want for gravel. You’re not going to get close with that bike. I run 32mm on my Domane. That’s ok for the occasional gravel section, but still a little squirrely.
  • 05-22-2020
    s-one
    Ah gotcha ok that's a bummer.
  • 05-25-2020
    c-wal
    The largest tire I could fit was a 28c schwalbe one tubeless. It would rub and was a struggle clearing the calipers. I think the early disc models (2015) would clear a 32c.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk