Gravel Bike wheel q: Stan's ArchEX on gravel bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016

Gravel Bike wheel q: Stan's ArchEX on gravel bike

so, I thought i had a bright idea and have been planning to use the Stan's ArchEX 3.30HD wheelset from my mountain bike on a gravel bike build. They're light, 21mm wide, and they are very reliable tubeless. It just occurred to me that the Shimano 5800 11-speed cassette probably isn't going to fit on the Stan's mountain bike hub. Am i right? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't see a Shimano 11 speed freehub on the Stan's site. I like this wheelset and i think it would work great on a gravel bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

grizzly moderator
    I haven't done it but I understand the Sram XD option is for 11s
    Stan's NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 650B Front Wheel w/ Stan's 3.30 Hub - RBikes.com
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It may not fit a 5800 road 11 speed cassette. but it might hold a MTB 11 speed cassete. You might want to call Stans and ask if they have a road freehub that will fit on your current wheelset.

I'm running Arch mks onthe gravel bike, have a pic...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Two good suggestions, although I think you're hosed on the 11 speed road cassette. Stan's will know for sure and their tech support is great.

If you are going 1x, a 42t front ring and something like 10-42 would give you an awful lot of range and the midrange XD cassette isn't too heinously expensive.

Careful with tires - some of the tighter fitting gravel tires (WTB off the top of my head) can cause a wicked drop in spoke tension on Arch wheels, especially the EX ones. MK3s are a little better but still prone to a lot of tension drop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    My memory may be wrong. But, one of the reasons i went with some pacentis built by november over stans arches was tire pressure. Maybe they have changed, but i don't think the arches are rated to run at road tire pressure (100 psi).

May not matter to you, but i like the option of running road tires at road tire pressure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I am looking to run some 40c tubeless tires at about 45psi so these would be perfect IMO