Warbird Build

Thread: Warbird Build

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Warbird Build

So, I've had several gravel bikes this year starting with a Diverge that was a little to small for me on to a Revolt that I really liked, just like the Diverge though was a little to small (I bought both used, so didn't get hit with full retail) and FINALLY found a bike that seemed to fit the bill. I wanted to run bigger tires, so that's why I didn't get a larger Diverge and wanted a taller and am a more traditionalist, so that's why I didn't get a larger Diverge. I went with a Warbird. I bought the Tiagra model well simply because they are out of everything else including the frameset! So, I ordered a Shimano GRX 2x11 group, had some killer wheels and carbon bars and made the transformation. I took 3 lbs. off the weight of the bike with my transformation and seem to really like it. The wheelset is Specialized CLX32 and I'm running Specialized Renegade 1.8 tires. I have an Easton carbon bar with I think it's 12 degree flare and a Ergon saddle. I want to upgrade the seatpost and I'll be all done. I think it turned out great and I got what I wanted..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet build, I like the all black. Where did you score the 1.8 renegades? I have them on my Fargo but they are worn out and I can't find them anywhere.
    Joe Biden: a case study in dementia.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had them left over from a few years ago. Yeah, you can't get them anymore. These are REALLY worn, but hold air and sealed up.. I'm thinking though I'm to go with the stock tires in a 700x45.. Did a 100K gravel race today and bike performed flawlessly..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosovich View Post
    ........... I went with a Warbird. I bought the Tiagra model well simply because they are out of everything else including the frameset! So, I ordered a Shimano GRX 2x11 group, had some killer wheels and carbon bars and made the transformation. I took 3 lbs. off the weight of the bike with my transformation and seem to really like it. The wheelset is Specialized CLX32 and I'm running Specialized Renegade 1.8 tires. I have an Easton carbon bar with I think it's 12 degree flare and a Ergon saddle. I want to upgrade the seatpost and I'll be all done. I think it turned out great and I got what I wanted..
    Nice, but you might have given the 2019 Tiagra more of a chance.

I actually purchased two bikes(2019) this summer, (an Addict and a Checkpoint) both equipped with hydraulic disc Tiagra, and still managed to stay within my original one-bike budget. No bragging rights for sure, but I feel like performance hasn't been compromised, and my money went a little further.

I will also add that the Warbird is a stunning looking bike in person. Your pics really don't do it justice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My warbird's brakes weren't hydrolic, they were cable actuated. I'll admit, everything worked flawlessly, but to go from Dura Ace level bikes to Tiagra was a little difficult. The GRX 800 I'm really liking..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosovich View Post
    My warbird's brakes weren't hydrolic, they were cable actuated. I'll admit, everything worked flawlessly, but to go from Dura Ace level bikes to Tiagra was a little difficult. The GRX 800 I'm really liking..
    OK, sorry, the Warbird must have had the 2018 Tiagra with mechanical brakes. Yeah, I wouldn't want to settle for that. But 2019 Tiagra is full hydraulic, with similar shifters and brake performance to 105. The only differences being 10 vs 11 speed, and a crank weight differential.

The GRX 800 is Ultegra level. Definitely worth upgrading from mechanical Tiagra. Thanks for clarifying.