Campy groupsets and wheels
    Music Man
    Nov 2006

Campy groupsets and wheels

Well, I said I wanted to upgrade my Bianchi Infinito with Campy by the end of 2012. I'm starting to look around for wheelsets and groupsets and who has the best price. So far, I've found a Campy Carbon Chorus 11 speed groupset at PBK for $1620. Just wondering if that's a good groupset or not, or should I just keep my Shimano Ultegra 6700? I need to figure that out before I buy wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Try Texas Cycle Sports! You can get Record for that price!
    Colnago EPS
    Colnago Master B-Stay
    Speedvagen 2008
    Speedvagen 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 19surf74 View Post
    Try Texas Cycle Sports! You can get Record for that price!
    I don't know how you can get that. TCS is $1,999 as of this writing unless you have coupon codes available:

Campagnolo 2012 Record Ergo Groupset, 11 speed

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Aside from it not being Campy, what's wrong with your Shimano 6700 group? I'm guessing nothing. Save your money. Buy a different bike with Campy at some later date.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Aside from it not being Campy, what's wrong with your Shimano 6700 group? I'm guessing nothing. Save your money. Buy a different bike with Campy at some later date.
    There's really nothing wrong with the Ultegra 6700. It's the Fulcrum 7 wheels I have on the bike that I don't like. I want to replace them, but I figured if I replace the wheelset, I was thinking of just going Campy. But, you're right. By the time I pay for new wheels and a new groupset, I could just buy a whole new bike with Campy.

Maybe I'll just look for new wheels that are lighter and better than Fulcrum 7's. I found a set of Shimano RS 80's at Merlin Cycles for $424 shipped. Been thinking of those, but didn't know if I should look for something else. I didn't want to spend more than $550 a a wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Try velomine. Branford will also match any other U.S. retailer with a published price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I would agree with this. Save the money and buy yourself a new bike with Campy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    ribble is the cheapest place for campagnolo by far. wait for a 10% off coupon code.

as far as upgrading vs. buying a new bike, it's not like there's a slew of new bikes in the US that come with Campagnolo groups, and when they do, you're paying a premium. Strip the 6700, sell it for $600, and you're halfway to a new Chorus 11 group. Add another few hundred for some shamals or zondas, and chances are you will have spent less money out of pocket than buying a new bike with campag on it.

An '12 infinito athena retails at $4500. an infinito ultegra retails at $3500. There is no reason in the world to pay a $1000 premium for Athena, especially when you can get a complete athena group for the same price, or less than 6700.

With Shimano or SRAM, the OEM price breaks means significant dealer savings that are passed onto customers. Campagnolo doesn't operate the same way. The most economical way to get campy on a bike is to build it from frame and order the parts from ribble. during sale events texas cyclesport can get within shouting distance of the UK/EU pricing, but still won't ever beat it. Per Platypius, dealer cost in N.A. for campagnolo components is higher than Euro street pricing, so unless a shop wants to lose money, the UK is your best bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I bought my Campy parts from ShineyBikes. It seemed a tad cheaper than Ribble, at least for the parts I wanted. But I did not buy a whole gruppo.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    There's really nothing wrong with the Ultegra 6700. It's the Fulcrum 7 wheels I have on the bike that I don't like. I want to replace them, but I figured if I replace the wheelset, I was thinking of just going Campy. But, you're right. By the time I pay for new wheels and a new groupset, I could just buy a whole new bike with Campy.

Maybe I'll just look for new wheels that are lighter and better than Fulcrum 7's. I found a set of Shimano RS 80's at Merlin Cycles for $424 shipped. Been thinking of those, but didn't know if I should look for something else. I didn't want to spend more than $550 a a wheelset.
    Your Shimano stuff is good. I have bikes with Campy and Shimano and I don't think one is any better than the other.

I have been riding bikes for over 20 years (4000-5000 miles a year). When I started, you got wheels built for you at the LBS or mail order. I even built some wheels myself. Then there came out factory wheels in the early 1990's. I bought probably the first set ever -- Mavic Heliums. I bought Spinergy Rev-X wheels, Spinergy Spox, Mavic Ksyruims (back when there was only one version of them), etc. Over time, I've found these wheels to be good, but way over priced. The last two sets of high end wheels I've bought were custom wheels that cost around $700. These wheels were very light and tough. In the interim, I've bought 3 sets of wheels from Neuvation. These wheels are a great deal. You can get a set for $250 that weigh 1500 grams and are as good as $800 Mavic wheels. I have 3 bikes and my wife has 3 bikes. We have the Neuvation wheels on four of them. My fat ass puts on 150 miles a week on these things riding to work every week. I've never had to true them. If ANYTHING goes wrong with them in the first year, they will replace them, no questions asked. Their customer service is second to none (I'm a a happy customer, and have no connection to their business) If you want to go Campy in the future, It is a $50 cassette change body you can do yourself.

IMO, if you want a really nice set of custom wheels, try Speed Dream. But for budget ... you can't go wrong with Neuvation. They're better than what you're looking at for $450.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I bought my Campy Chorus 11 from Ribble and got it for a lot less than $1600. I hit them on their 6% off Campy sale but their 10% off everything would have been better.

As far as Ribble goes, you might get a few items slightly cheaper here and there but you will not find another retailer where you can load up a whole cart and have every item at/close to the best price around. I'm a satisfied customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple weeks ago, I picked a Chorus group minus chain and cassette for $900 from Ribble when they had a 10% off deal. It applied only if you picked the group parts individually rather than as a groupset. Worked for me as I didn't need a cassette and I use KMC 11sp chains.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Someone is selling a set of Campy Chorus wheels for $300. I've never heard of Campy Chorus wheels. I looked them up on a few bike shops and they're not listed anywhere. Are they old?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Someone is selling a set of Campy Chorus wheels for $300. I've never heard of Campy Chorus wheels. I looked them up on a few bike shops and they're not listed anywhere. Are they old?
    Probably Mavic OP with Chorus hubs. The hubs can be new or old, as I believe the Chorus 11 has hubs if one were inclined to buy them. Otherwise, they are from the old Chorus 10 days when they were available as part of the entire line.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's also older 8-9 speed hubs around. Same splining on freehub. Not nearly as desirable as the later "oversize" 10 speed hubs.

Sellers don't always advertise these completely honestly so it helps to know the difference - quite easy when you know what to look for.

later "oversize" and nice if in good shape.

late '90's 8 speed. This shell carried over to 9-speed with today's freehub splining.

and then there's even older freewheel type:

So, any of these can be, and are, described as being part of a "Chorus wheel"
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 09-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I looked at the CL ad again. One was a Mavic rim in the back, and DT in the front with Chorus hubs. I'm just going to keep shopping for a new set of wheels. I know the 2013 wheelsets are just now hitting the stores, so I might be able to find a deal on 2012 wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, I looked at the CL ad again. One was a Mavic rim in the back, and DT in the front with Chorus hubs. I'm just going to keep shopping for a new set of wheels. I know the 2013 wheelsets are just now hitting the stores, so I might be able to find a deal on 2012 wheels.
    ribble has good pricing on fulcrums or campagnolo wheels as well. people are generally very happy with the campagnolo wheel line. The Zondas are ~$500 for a 1500 gram wheelset that is strong and reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy neuvations either.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Neuvation R28SLW Wheel Set - www.neuvationcycling.com

What about these Neuvation wheels? They are brand new, and wider than normal wheels. They also weigh 1500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    not bad, though i personally would be more comfortable with a higher spoke count (24/28 vs. 20/24) but i'm a bit of a clyde.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Neuvation R28SLW Wheel Set - www.neuvationcycling.com

What about these Neuvation wheels? They are brand new, and wider than normal wheels. They also weigh 1500.
    This (wider wheels) is a trend in the bike industry. John Neugent, the owner of Neuvation has been in the industry a long time and knows a trend that will boost sales yet cost almost nothing when he sees one. These "wider" wheels are what, 1-2 mm wider. I like on his website how he lists among the advantages of them that you can tell your friends you're riding on wider wheels. My guess would be that the only discernable difference would be the extra $100 they cost over the 2012 models.

I have three sets of Neuvation wheels. I like them. They're great bang for the buck. Get the 2012 model for $250 (http://www.neuvationcycling.com/prod...l-set-1489.htm). Same weight, tiny bit narrower, $100 cheaper. They don't have a lower spoke count than most other pre-built wheels. I weigh around 200 lbs and they've been fine for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    compared to the standard 700c wheel width of 19mm, 23mm is 4mm wider. and apparently the benefits are noticeable, including being able to run lower pressures as a result.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    IMO the wider wheels when mixed into a collection of traditional wheels is a PITA due to brake adjustments.

But I think eventually all wheels will use wider rims. Narrow rims are a left over form the 80s thinner is faster mentality. ZIPP says wider is faster and lower pressure tires are much better atmo.

There are usually lots of Campy Chorus groups on eBay for $1200. The $750 Athena group listed in this forum is good too - its pretty much same weight at 7900 Dura Ace.

I went from Shimano (very good) to SRAM (which I liked better) to Campy (which I like best).

Why not give it a try. You may hate it, but at least you will know. If you can spare the cash go for it.
    2015 Bucksaw, 2014 Mukluk, 2013 Tallboy, 2014 Avant

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Looking at Neuvation's website and reading about the wider rims, it's supposed to be more comfortable to ride and you can use less pressure in your tires. I don't know. I'm still shopping around. I still don't know what to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    planetcyclery.com

tons o campy groups and wheels-decent prices. Have had good experience with them in the past.