eBay Bike Sales: Of UK Sellers, US Buyers, and VAT...
    semi-literate moron
    Jan 2009

eBay Bike Sales: Of UK Sellers, US Buyers, and VAT...

Recently bought a seatpost from a UK-based seller on eBay. I'm in the US.

In the item description details he states that a 17.5% VAT is included in the listing price, although "The actual VAT requirements and rates may vary depending on the final sale."

Long story short, the seller is saying he must include the VAT even though I am in the United States. To put it bluntly, I will be taxed without representation.

This is something I thought we hashed out with Great Britain a while ago... Like when a bunch of us Yanks dressed up like Indians and started pitching tea over the side a of a ship in Boston harbor. Ring any bells?

uhhhh, what?
    Apr 2002
    "The actual VAT requirements and rates may vary depending on the final sale." - key part right here.

the VAT should get subtracted once it's clear it's being shipped to the US.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Can't let that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Recently bought a seatpost from a UK-based seller on eBay. I'm in the US.

In the item description details he states that a 17.5% VAT is included in the listing price, although "The actual VAT requirements and rates may vary depending on the final sale."

Long story short, the seller is saying he must include the VAT even though I am in the United States. To put it bluntly, I will be taxed without representation.

This is something I thought we hashed out with Great Britain a while ago... Like when a bunch of us Yanks dressed up like Indians and started pitching tea over the side a of a ship in Boston harbor. Ring any bells?
    We can't let those Brits tax us into oblivion - that OUR government's job to do that!

On a more serious note some popular UK sites already show the price without VAT if you identify yourself as a US customer. Not sure there is any conspiracy here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    UK and EU sellers can't automatically remove VAT from the sales price even if the good is shipped outside of the UK/EU. They must be part of the formal program sponsored by the specific government. The program is apparently a PITA so many smaller retailers don't participate, particularly if they don't do a lot of off-shore business.
    As long as you have the sex and drugs, you don't really need the rock and roll.