2010 Quest

Thread: 2010 Quest

Jan 2010

2010 Quest

I'm thinking about buying my first Jamis. I test rode a 2009 Satellite and I loved the smooth, responsive ride. Of course, I'd like to get a little better bike than the Satellite.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the 2010 Quest. Any opinions on the upgrades/changes over the 2009?

Anybody know why the 2010 compact weighs almost a full pound heavier than the 2009 Quest?
    Is it the Aksium wheels?

Thanks.
    Last edited by oldguynewguy; 01-05-2010 at 10:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Jamis makes great bikes in every category, your information regarding the weight is false because the Quest is around 2 pounds lighter than the satellite (even last years) this years quest gets a bump in the performance department from an ultegra 6700 rear derailleur. Mavic products are very good in general so you wont really have to worry about them. If I were purchasing steel I wouldn't skimp and would simply go for the Eclipse, its pretty much a race ready steel bike.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguynewguy
    I'm thinking about buying my first Jamis. I test rode a 2009 Satellite and I loved the smooth, responsive ride. Of course, I'd like to get a little better bike than the Satellite.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the 2010 Quest. Any opinions on the upgrades/changes over the 2009?

Anybody know why the 2010 compact weighs almost a full pound heavier than the 2009 Quest?
    Is it the Aksium wheels?

Thanks.
    If I understand your post correctly, you're asking about the differences in weight and specs between the '09 and '10 Quest.

Probably (at least) 250 g's is attributed to the switch to the Aksiums. There are other minor contributing factors (like the stem), but it's mainly the wheelset.

Like many other companies, Jamis has found it necessary to "de-spec" some of their bikes to hold MSRP's down - all IMO due to the state of our economy. If you can find an '09 I see no reason not to opt for it. OTOH, if you can't, I don't think a wheelset and a pound should deter you from getting the bike. If you do any amount of riding, a wheelset upgrade will be in your future, so I consider them wearable items.

Hope this helps..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    just compare them all and decide which suits you the most

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/r...uest_spec.html 2010 Quest 19.75 lb.
    http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/r...lite_spec.html 2010 Satellite 22.25 lb.
    http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/p..._satellite.pdf 2009 Satellite 21.5 lb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    more importantly are the geometry changes;

10's in size 54cm now have 16cm headtubes instead of 14cm
    head tube angles is now 72 instead of 72.5
    wheelbase is now 98.4cm instead of 98.8cm

so most likely changes to all in fit.
    be sure to test ride them...

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007
    more importantly are the geometry changes;

10's in size 54cm now have 16cm headtubes instead of 14cm
    head tube angles is now 72 instead of 72.5
    wheelbase is now 98.4cm instead of 98.8cm

so most likely changes to all in fit.
    be sure to test ride them...
    Good catch on the geo changes. I wouldn't fret too much over slight changes to ST/ HT angles (and the resultant changes to wheelbase), but yes, HT length is going to affect fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The longer HT may be an attempt to reduce steerer length since the older Satellite and Quest have a huge stack of spacers under the stem. I would lean towards the 2010 because I had a bad experience with the Alex wheelset on a 2009 Satellite. Jamis is also speccing 700x25 tires and long reach brakes this year so they may have added fender clearance. My take is that a 2010 Quest or Satellite is an improvement since the changes on the Satellite address the issues I had with my 2009, or look at a Bianchi Vigorelli or Imola.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
    The longer HT may be an attempt to reduce steerer length since the older Satellite and Quest have a huge stack of spacers under the stem. I would lean towards the 2010 because I had a bad experience with the Alex wheelset on a 2009 Satellite. Jamis is also speccing 700x25 tires and long reach brakes this year so they may have added fender clearance. My take is that a 2010 Quest or Satellite is an improvement since the changes on the Satellite address the issues I had with my 2009, or look at a Bianchi Vigorelli or Imola.
    I don't doubt your experiences, but fact is you could spend double (or more) and IME wheelsets are pretty low buck compared to the other OEM componentry on a given bike. That said, I don't think a decision to buy or not buy a bike should hinge on what I consider a wearable item.

As far as the geo changes go, I think it depends on the intended rider and their preferences. I run a pretty moderate 5.5 CM's of saddle to bar drop, but indications are that the 140 mm HTL on the 51 CM 2010 Satellite is borderline too high. And considering there are minimal changes between '09 and '10, along with a weight and price increase in '10, I think the '09 would be my choice, but as always, YMMV.

Either way, they're nice bikes. I'm trying to rationalize that I 'need' a Satellite as a trainer/ rain bike.