• 10-07-2010
    fatroadie
    2011 Xenith Race vs Comp frames
    Hoping a Jamis rep (or someone in the know) sees this...

Can you expand upon the differences between the Race and Comp frames this year? It looks like the frames are composed of different levels/grades of carbon, so I'm wondering how much difference in ride experience I'd be looking at? Is the Comp going to be flexier or less race orientated? I'm a bigger rider (185 lbs) so I'm sure I'd exert enough power to highlight any real differences in the frame.

Thanks!

Race: Full high modulus carbon fiber, Dyad Ultra lay-up.

Comp: High performance carbon fiber composite with high modulus fibers, Dyad Plus lay-up.
  • 10-07-2010
    PJ352
    Some call it HM or VHM, others call it OCLV, and still others refer to it as 8r, 9r, 10r... but they all have one thing in common - the higher you go in their CF product line, the higher the STW ratio is. Lower end = more material, more weight for a given stiffness. High end = less material, less weight. Stiffness might increase at the higher end but (the subjective part) IMO part of that increase can come from the fact that even though there's less material, it's stiffer, thus the higher STW ratio.

Some related info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_modulus

Best thing to do is ride both back to back, with the same tires pressures over the same stretches of road. Many say they can tell a difference in CF grades, but I'm skeptical. I think what they're really feeling is the result of a certain CF layup used, along with any other variances between the test bikes.

HTH...
  • 10-07-2010
    a_avery007
    am sure both will ride great!

have an SL bike and regular dyad bike.

the SL rides better, is stiffer and lighter, but don't want to throw it down the road, so marginal weather or conditions and i take out the lesser of the two and ride it carefree.

how much $ do you want to spend?
  • 10-07-2010
    PJ352
    Quote:

Originally Posted by a_avery007
    am sure both will ride great!

have an SL bike and regular dyad bike.

the SL rides better, is stiffer and lighter, but don't want to throw it down the road, so marginal weather or conditions and i take out the lesser of the two and ride it carefree.

how much $ do you want to spend?

Interesting. Are you saying that for the more obvious reason (SL costs more) or because higher grade CF = less material/ lighter/ more 'brittle', thus more fragile? (the latter, IMO)
  • 10-07-2010
    a_avery007
    i am saying i don't want to throw a $2500 frame down the road regardless of material or make.
    $800-$1000 with crash replacement no worries...