Difference between 2008 & 2009 Xenith Pro

Aug 2009

Difference between 2008 & 2009 Xenith Pro

Hi there,

A local shop is offering a good deal on a 2008 Xenith Pro - they have a couple in my size and are looking to move the inventory.

Does anyone know how the 2008 compares to the 2009?

I understand that the 2009 internalizes the bearings in the bottom bracket - does that make a big difference in stiffness?

Anyone know how much lighter is the 2009?

Thanks guys - appreciated.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by hornbizzle
    Hi there,

A local shop is offering a good deal on a 2008 Xenith Pro - they have a couple in my size and are looking to move the inventory.

Does anyone know how the 2008 compares to the 2009?

I understand that the 2009 internalizes the bearings in the bottom bracket - does that make a big difference in stiffness?

Anyone know how much lighter is the 2009?

Thanks guys - appreciated.
    Since I havent ridden either, I can't offer opinions on the ride/ handling/ stiffness, but some of your questions can be answered at the Jamis site. The '08 specs are still available (weight is 17.25 for the '08 vs 16.70 for the '09). The '09 changes from a DA drivetrain to SRAM Force. Some other changes listed below:

Changes from 2008 to 2009:
    Lighter frame with increased stiffness in the BB and HT area
    BB 30 Bottom Bracket system
    New fork design utilizing 1.5 crown race
    FSA SLK Light BB30 Compact Hollow Carbon crank with oversized aluminum axle
    Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech tires
    Ritchey Logic Pro Drop-In integrated headset
    Compact 50/34 crankset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

there is a difference

have ridden and own 2 Jamis Xenith's; the Comp and SL. Have also rode the 08's.

i did buy the 09 Jamis Xenith 's for the following reasons:
    1) bb30
    2) 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 tapered steerer
    3) increaseased stiffness everywhere

now that being said; the ride quality of the 08 and 09 is close. very smooth and stiff with enough feedback to know where the limit is.

have ridden and own many bikes and the Jamis bikes are absolutely incredible for the price. Fit and finish are among the best i have seen. Now, i have not cut one in half nor have i seen the inside of one to know how clean they are, but looking inside the seat tube leads me to believe very clean. No rattling pieces of excess rolling around in my frames.

if the 08 Pro fits, it will fit exactly the same as the 09's. i like parallel seat and head tube angles in my size, which is 54cm. they handle on rails.

depends how much of a price difference between the two you are getting?? would have to be rather significant to make me go 08, but hey that is just me.

they are among the best out there period!!!

ride both and let me know what you think???

Cycling induced anoesis
    From what you're offering, it's unclear to me what you've ridden. Have you ridden both the '08 and '09 Xenith Pro's? If so, I'm curious what you thought about the '09 SRAM Force vs '08 DA.
    Last edited by PJ352; 09-17-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: addition..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    it says i own the 09's, which meant i rode them, and rode the 08's.

prefer shimano for now (08 DA is excellent). but the SRAM on my mtb's is the group i will own for a while.

drivetrain noise and longevity are my concerns for the current SRAM road group.

imlo

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007
    it says i own the 09's, which meant i rode them, and rode the 08's.

prefer shimano for now (08 DA is excellent). but the SRAM on my mtb's is the group i will own for a while.

drivetrain noise and longevity are my concerns for the current SRAM road group.

imlo
    Still, you didn't answer the question. Did you ride the '08 and '09 Xenith Pro's? If you didn't, it's no biggie, but those are the models of interest to the OP - and I was asking out of genuine curiosity. I'm sure he appreciates your input re: the Comp and SL as well.

Thanks for the feedback on DA vs Sram Force. I suspected the same.
    Last edited by PJ352; 09-17-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Aug 2009
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I confirmed with the shop, the 08 would be roughly $1500 cheaper - so pretty significant.

Seems like with that price difference the 08 might be the way to go. Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    ok bro- just for you; rode the Pro 08 and 09.

to the OP, are you sure $1500 difference?? i can't imagine it being the same model, but with that much price difference, the 08 looks like a good deal; if so ride both, if it fits, and you like the spec of the 08, and you can't tell the difference between the two different model years (just be sure to test with the same saddle, and wheelset and tires with same psi)
    and you like the looks, go for it!

hope this helps

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by hornbizzle
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I confirmed with the shop, the 08 would be roughly $1500 cheaper - so pretty significant.

Seems like with that price difference the 08 might be the way to go. Thoughts?
    The closest I've ridden to these bikes is an '08 Xenith Comp, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but with a price diff of $1,500 for (IMO) essentially the same bike, I'd go for the '08 as long as it fits. It got great reviews and (again, IMO) in the world of CF bikes the higher you go the higher the STW ratio is. I don't think us mere mortals would ever feel the difference in the BB30 set up, but since a_avery007 has ridden them pay heed to his opinions on that.