Eclipse '09 frame only ?
    PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Eclipse '09 frame only ?

Anyone know if the '09 Eclipse will be available as frame or frame and fork only ?

Failing that - anyone know anywhere that sells Eclipse or Quest frames only ? Any year really....
    Last edited by PTV; 01-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.

monkey with flamethrower
    Nope, no framesets for those bikes. Most larger companies like Jamis don't do framesets. You might be able to track down an individual frame, somewhere.
    But the good news is there are lots of similar steel frames out there that are available as a frame from dozens of other manufacturers.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Lizard
    Nope, no framesets for those bikes. Most larger companies like Jamis don't do framesets. You might be able to track down an individual frame, somewhere.
    But the good news is there are lots of similar steel frames out there that are available as a frame from dozens of other manufacturers.
    Yup, like this one (available as a frameset):
    T2K9_HAOLE.jpg

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys... yeah, I know there are loads of options out there - I just figured if someone sold the Eclipse frames they would be a great deal. If the whole bike is under $1500 - as it is at Jenson for a new 2007, then the frame might be a steal for Reynolds 853 (no pun intended !)
    I've looked at everything from Torelli to Curtlo to Surly, Soma, Pake, Gunnar - loads of nice steel out there but keep coming back to the Eclipse.

So what is the deal with the Haole ? Seems it's now only available in Europe ? Could that be true. I have always loved Kona frames. Just not sure I want a Canadian bike (!)

Cycling induced anoesis
    If you're primarily interested in steel frames, I'm a little confused why you're focusing on the '07 Eclipse. You do realize that it's a materials mix of CF/ steel?

You mention some good alternatives in your post. I have seen Curtlos work and have one on order. At around 1K, filet brazed with custom geo it's a bargain, but he takes months to deliver - like 8. Gunnar is another good one and I've heard they deliver in about 1 month. And if you want to go more for tradition/ nostalgia there's always Mondonico (available at SmartCycles).

I knew Kona was Canadian based but wasn't aware that the Haole was only a Euro bike. If there's a question and you want to pursue it, I suggest emailing them. I've done so in the past and they're pretty responsive.

All this said, I'm not trying to dissuade you from Jamis. I think they're nice bikes for the $$, but as you say, there are some good chioices out there.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    For sure...... all good points. Don't really know why it intrigues m so much given that it isn't all steel but it does !
    Yeah - 8 months for a Curtlo isn't going to cut it, looking for something ahead of the Solvang Century in March.
    Mondonico is awesome but kind of pricey. Torelli better bet if I wanted something "Italian" like. Gunnar might be the way to go .... Sport looks good to me or maybe a Roadie.
    Anyway, I'll keep looking - thanks so much for all of your good advice...
    ptv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I believe the 2009 Eclipse is back to using a full 853 tubeset . . . it was the 2006/07 flavor that mixed 853 and carbon.

Jamis--along with many other major manufacturers--has offered some of its models as frames or framesets. Not sure about the '09 model, but I thought the earlier Eclipses were one of the models Jamis actually offered as a frame?

PTV -- what size do you take? Sent you a PM on topic . . .

--MW

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks... I replied to your PM....

Anyone have any comments on differences in ride and durability on the 853/C Vs full 853 ?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnovak
    I believe the 2009 Eclipse is back to using a full 853 tubeset . . . it was the 2006/07 flavor that mixed 853 and carbon.
    --MW
    You are correct. I mentioned the materials mix of the '07 Eclipse because the OP offered that the model was on sale at Jenson. Because he previously focused on steel frames, I wanted to make sure he knew about the mix on the '07.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by PTV
    Thanks... I replied to your PM....

Anyone have any comments on differences in ride and durability on the 853/C Vs full 853 ?
    I never rode the Eclipse, so I can't comment specifically on the ride quality. Any other bikes I've ridden, whether they were a mix of CF, steel or aluminum did not impress me. IME, a full steel bike rides like one (good balance of road feel and comfort), an aluminum like aluminum (read, harsh) and CF, if designed properly, similar to steel. Mixes add little or nothing to the ride and add some complexities in manufacturing that can be troubleprone in the long run.

I've read about problems with the earlier Eclipses having bonding issues at the seat clusters and dropouts (where the CF and steel join). Those types of problems are all but alleviated with a more standard construction (full CF, Steel, etc..) The one combination that I do find worthwhile is a carbon fork. Added to a steel or aluminum bike (they're usually already spec'd on CF bikes) they do tend to smooth out the ride a little. Conversely, CF stays or posts have little effect on the ride.

If you haven't already, here's some reviews to mull over as you research this purchase. Hope this helps.
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...68_740crx.aspx

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    By the way - this IS a really nice frame - let me know if you know anywhere that sells them or any steel Kona road frames...

Cycling induced anoesis
    By the way - this IS a really nice frame - let me know if you know anywhere that sells them or any steel Kona road frames...
    I couldn't agree more. Click on the link below, plug in your zip and see what unfolds!

http://www.konaworld.com/09_dealers_us.htm

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    I couldn't agree more. Click on the link below, plug in your zip and see what unfolds!

http://www.konaworld.com/09_dealers_us.htm

Tried that and asked a few dealers but none seem to stock or even have ever seen this frame !! Very cruel to post a pic of this frame with no idea of how to get one !!!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Tried that and asked a few dealers but none seem to stock or even have ever seen this frame !! Very cruel to post a pic of this frame with no idea of how to get one !!!
    Ok, how about this. The email address below is the one I used to find out about the Haole frameset.

[email protected]

Maybe explain the situation (or better yet, paste what you posted, he'll probably get a chuckle out of it) and see what happens.

Another thought. Just because dealers don't stock the model and have never seen one doesn't mean they can't order one. Sounds like you need to find a dealer that wants to sell Kona's!

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Email sent !!!!! Copied that post for him ! I'll let you know what comes back !

Cycling induced anoesis
    Email sent !!!!! Copied that post for him ! I'll let you know what comes back !
    Sounds good! When I emailed him I got an answer back within a day or so. Good luck!