headset spec for Nova Pro
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

headset spec for Nova Pro

Wondering what the "SHIS" spec is for a 2009 Noa Pro frame? It is an integrated headset, non-tapered, 1 1/8".

I THINK it's a standard "cane creek" type ingegrated headset which translates into:
    upper: IS41 / 28.6
    lower: IS41 / 30.

I don't need the cone spacer with the brake hanger for canti brakes as I currently use V Brakes with a cable pull adapter (Travel Agent). So it doesn't have to be a cross-specific headset.

Actually, all I need is new bearing cartridges. The lower one is kind of rough, but all the other parts of the headset are fine.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Curious about this as well. Any help? I will likely email Jamis and see if they will offer anything up other than "go see your LBS."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    It is an IS41

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    BicyclePhD is correct.

Sorry I didn't post an update when I actually found out. Here's an excerpt from the response I got from Jamis Tech Support:

Thank you for your inquiry to JAMIS BICYCLES dated April 16, 2012 regarding your interest in purchasing a replacement head set for your 2009 Nova Pro. We would like to inform you that this particular model uses an integrated 1 1/8'' head set with bearings designed to fit into a head tube with a 41.1mm inner diameter (Cane Creek is 41.1mm, Campy is larger 41.8mm). The bearings will also have 36/45 degree angular contact points. The Cane Creek IS41 Series head sets will fit into the frame

I actually figured that out on my own. What was interesting to me is that the bearings that were in the headset were thicker or taller than the standard IS41 bearings in my road bike(s). I can't remember the diference, but it was at least a couple mm - could see it without measuring it. However, when I installed the new crown race and the new (shorter/thinner) IS41 bearing, the headset preloaded fine and works fine. It worked fine with the old bearings too, they were just a little rough. don't know if those taller bearings were original to the frame or installed by the previous owner (I bought the frame and fork used). FWIW.