• 06-21-2013
    Todd769
    Jamis Icon no smooth welds?!!!
    Why could Jamis not make the new Icon with smooth welds? If Cannondale found a way to do it with there CAAD bikes could other brands
    not find a way to do it?!!!
  • 06-21-2013
    vagabondcyclist
    I'm pretty sure what Cannondale does is grind down and smooth out the welds. That's what they used to do back in the 80s and 90s. I'm assuming they still do the same thing today.
  • 06-21-2013
    Todd769
    The beads on the Jamis do look nice I took a welding course. Most ti frames you can see the beads of the weld. I do like how the cannondale's are smooth. Just wonder if it makes any diff other then just looks?
  • 06-21-2013
    vagabondcyclist
    Back in the 90s when I managed a shop, I remember the C-Dale rep saying something about stress risers or some such thing. It sounded like marketing speak.

If I remember, back then their pre-smoothed out welds were really clumpy looking--not the nice overlapping beads you see on most good welds. In fact they weren't overlapping beads at all but a clump of metal.
  • 09-04-2013
    RiceKilla
    Vagabond it definitely was marketing hoopla.

If the case were true about the ripples on AL welds than the car racing industry would be grinding out their welds. A lot of hardened veteran welders actually don't like the idea of shaving welds.

I personally like the look of a nice weld compared to the ground out welds of a CAAD.
  • 10-10-2013
    wim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceKilla View Post
    Vagabond it definitely was marketing hoopla.

Agree. Smoothing welds is done to impress people who know very little or nothing about proper welding. That's not saying that bicycle riders need to take a welding course. If you like the looks of smooth welds, nothing wrong with that.