Jamis Resale Value
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

Jamis Resale Value

I am an employee of a local Jamis dealer and as such was able to purchase a 2009 Xenith Sl last year at employee pricing. Its time for a new bike, and I have been working the past couple weeks to sell this bike but to no avail. I have tapped all the logical stops: Ebay, classified section, craigslist, cycling team listserv forum. I paid 3500 for the bike that lists for closer to 9000, and I have an asking price of 2500. Obviously taking a financial hit. I am worried how much lower I will have to go to sell it.

I guess the purpose of this thread was to see if anybody else has had similar experiences with selling their Jamis. I guess this phenomenon is good for buyer, but bad for sellers. Any advice for selling?

Quote Originally Posted by arm017
    I am an employee of a local Jamis dealer and as such was able to purchase a 2009 Xenith Sl last year at employee pricing. Its time for a new bike, and I have been working the past couple weeks to sell this bike but to no avail. I have tapped all the logical stops: Ebay, classified section, craigslist, cycling team listserv forum. I paid 3500 for the bike that lists for closer to 9000, and I have an asking price of 2500. Obviously taking a financial hit. I am worried how much lower I will have to go to sell it.

I guess the purpose of this thread was to see if anybody else has had similar experiences with selling their Jamis. I guess this phenomenon is good for buyer, but bad for sellers. Any advice for selling?
    It isn't just Jamis. It's everyone. eBay sucks these days for sellers. I sold a new De Rosa Corum frame that normally retails for $2475 for...... $900. My cost was $1200 (it was a clearance frame).

My Scott CR-1 Pro frame that I bought for $930 in March sold for $600 last month.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, Good point.

Of course, it may also be priced so low that people think it's stolen....

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Do you think folks would think it was stolen seeing it for 2500? The first starting bid was at 2800. Just trying to get rid of the bike to fund the next one...

It's hard to say. If the bike retailed for $9000 and you bought it for $3500, you *should* be able to get your $3500 back, if not more. Generally, I start an auction at 50% of retail, if the item is 0-2 years old. If I need to drop the price, then I do so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I agree with these answers, I wonder if a lot of it has to do with the fact Jamis is NOT one of the Big Three. WE know that Jamis makes an amazing product, but seriously think of how many people don't even know who Jamis is. The Average Joe would probably buy a lower end Tarmac or Madone just because everyone else has a Specialized or Trek. That price is more than fair but you are talking a premium bike by a small company. My son rides a Jamis and the only people that seem to know what he's riding are mountain bikers. A lot of people on road bikes think he's riding something in the range of an online bike like the Motobecanes.
    Last edited by terbennett; 07-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodys737
    No. Your ad looks really good. There is a Xenith SL going around Craig's List for $999 which is a scam. Big difference between your listing info and the scammers.

I think with the economy and a lack of brand recognition in road circles is at the root of your problem. While the SL is a great frame from a great company I think your target group is just way smaller than Trek for example.

If I'm any indication of the type who would by an SL right now I am looking for just a frame/fork. The rest of my components are dialed in and I feel I can save money by transferring my components over to a new frame. I'd be willing to bet that if you sell the frame/fork separate from the group, wheels, etc...you would get a better yield. Hope this helps.
    In general, you'll almost always get more out of your bike on eBay if you sell it in parts. Sometimes double what you wanted for the whole bike. People are weird. A set of shifters can be worth $250, but the whole bike may only get $500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arm017
    Do you think folks would think it was stolen seeing it for 2500? The first starting bid was at 2800. Just trying to get rid of the bike to fund the next one...
    No. Your ad looks really good. There is a Xenith SL going around Craig's List for $999 which is a scam. Big difference between your listing info and the scammers.

I think with the economy and a lack of brand recognition in road circles is at the root of your problem. While the SL is a great frame from a great company I think your target group is just way smaller than Trek for example.

If I'm any indication of the type who would by an SL right now I am looking for just a frame/fork. The rest of my components are dialed in and I feel I can save money by transferring my components over to a new frame. I'd be willing to bet that if you sell the frame/fork separate from the group, wheels, etc...you would get a better yield. Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I watched a 2008 xenith SL frameset on ebay sell for $320! low miles, no scratches, 100% feedback...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    I watched a 2008 xenith SL frameset on ebay sell for $320! low miles, no scratches, 100% feedback...
    What size? I've been watching 54's and now 56 SL and/or teams...no joy yet. Yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

Because it's not the cycling season

With all the rain/snow over half of the country, it's not a good time to sell bikes in general. If you can wait until Feb/Mar where price will start to pick up.

However, if you want to find a good deal, then look on like below item that ended recently

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_ICjtHE0r1PE/T...0/crankset.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Jamis xenith SL

what size is the frame? and what are the components?