Looking for Input from Xenith Endura Owners
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Looking for Input from Xenith Endura Owners

Hello All,

I am contemplating the purchase of a Xenith Endura. Of course, none of the local shops around here carry one in my size to test ride, nor will they order one without a commitment to purchase. The closest thing I could find was a WSD in my size, which has a slightly shorter top tube length and wheelbase than the same bike designed for a male rider. It also is equipped with a Tiagra triple as opposed to an Apex compact. These are some significant differences. So, I'm trying to gather as much information as possible about the bike to make an educated decision, since I cannot actually ride "the" bike I'd be purchasing until after the fact.

I have reviewed the spec's, and this bike has a greater rake, longer wheelbase, and longer trail than any other bike I've evaluated (and I've looked at a LOT of bikes recently). The rake is 50mm, wheelbase is 1006mm and trail is 61mm. I read one article that gave the bike a halfway decent review due to its versatility, but mentioned the steering was a bit slow. So, I'm looking for input from anyone who actually owns this bike. Do you feel that you have to take wide turns or that it's slow in handling? The other bike I'm considering is a Trek Madone, which has a rake of 45mm, wheelbase of 977mm and trail of 57mm. It's also two full lbs. lighter and certainly feels quick on its feet. I know the Endura will feel more planted under certain circumstances, especially with the 700 x 25c tires that come std, rather than 23's, but will there be a significant difference in handling between these two bikes? I'm thinking from a safety perspective. The last thing I want is to be flying down a hill at 40-50 mph and have to veer into traffic or off the side of the road because of a curve that I can't cut sharp enough. Also, do you feel like the Endura is quick? Does it climb well? Does the long wheelbase and trail make it feel wobbly at all when really hammering on it?

Any thoughts or insight from Xenith Endura owners (or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Love mine, you wont be dissapointed, nothing like having a slightly different bike then the rest of the crowd
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I like mine a lot. I wish I think it handles pretty well but I don't have much to compare it to, I've taken hills at 25-30 mph without any issue. My bigger issue is with the brakes. The stock Tektros that came on mine are pretty crappy. I've since upgraded them but since they are a long reach brake so the choices are somewhat limited.

Before I bought mine I also rode the Madone, along with a Giant and some others. The Trek did feel like a "faster" bike to me but it wasn't near as comfortable. But that's all personal preference which I know doesn't help because you can't test ride the Endura.

Honey Smack!
    I absolutely love mine. I've hit over 45 mph on it on a descent and it handles like a dream. I also agree the breaks might use some love, but I didn't find them that terrible.

I have 2011 Xenith Endura 2.

I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    XZenith endura1 here, 2011, that 2012 color is nice man!, I am ok with the brakes for now, I like the wheels, as I am a clyde @ 220 lbs, works great for me.
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixjours View Post
    XZenith endura1 here, 2011, that 2012 color is nice man!, I am ok with the brakes for now, I like the wheels, as I am a clyde @ 220 lbs, works great for me.
    yeah the blue from 2011 is why I went with the Endura 2. Glad I did though, amazing bike.

Also, my braking issues might be that I'm 240 lbs so I've got a decent amnt of momentum that needs to be slowed down.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Local retailer (not LBS) has a Xenith Endura 1 (2011, I believe) on sale for 40% off. Marked down from $1800 to about $1100.
    I'm new to road biking (been mtb'ing for a while), and I'm looking for something to ride on the weekends for 20-25 miles (starting out), and maybe eventually some centuries as my abilities improve. And maybe (likely?) use for daily commuting duties (<6mi each way) on fairly rough streets. So, judging from everything I've read re: carbon fiber, etc., this bike seems like a good fit. Now I know nothing about different road bike frame geometries, etc., beyond the terminology.
    The one thing I fear, that is keeping me from snatching this deal up, is that carbon fiber frame--being a beginner, I'm scared of wrecking it and destroying $1100 in the process, since I've read that CF can be pretty unforgiving/fragile in a wreck.
    So what do you guys think? Should I jump on this, or seek a more durable (non-CF) entry-level bike that won't be turned into scrap on the first wreck?
    TIA!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    Local retailer (not LBS) has a Xenith Endura 1 (2011, I believe) on sale for 40% off. Marked down from $1800 to about $1100.

The one thing I fear, that is keeping me from snatching this deal up, is that carbon fiber frame--being a beginner, I'm scared of wrecking it and destroying $1100 in the process, since I've read that CF can be pretty unforgiving/fragile in a wreck.
    So what do you guys think? Should I jump on this, or seek a more durable (non-CF) entry-level bike that won't be turned into scrap on the first wreck?
    TIA!
    Is it a new but old stock bicycle that will come with the full manufacturer's warranty? The warranty is nice to have just in case you run into any problems with manufacturing defects.

Also, if it is set up stock as in the catalog, it has Tiagra 4500 shifters which means it is 9 speed. It will work just fine, but at the $1500-2000 price point, you would probably expect to get 10 speed shifting. Probably with the upgrading of Tiagra to 10 speed, most new bikes at the $1200-1500 price point bay be 10 speed. 9 or 10 speed is probably not a deal breaker though. Most people do not use all the possible combination of gears. I don't bike in the mountains and rarely use the 2 highest or the 2 lowest gears.

As far as asploding your carbon frame, that is always a possibility if you decide to crash or get crashed. But you can also wreck aluminum or steel frames when you crash. I would not ride a very badly dented aluminum frame as it may also crack and break while being ridden. Best option is to try and avoid crashing when you're on the bike because the worst and most expensive damage can be to your body, not the bike!

Note also, that it could actually be cheaper to repair a cracked carbon frame, as many repairs appear to run about $200-400 (with painting and shipping extra). Cracked aluminum alloy probably cannot be fixed easily (if they can be fixed at all) due to the problems with heating the metal and weakening it through that process. I'm not sure about the costs on cutting out a broken steel tube and replacing it. On the other hand, if you do happen to destroy a frame beyond worthwhile repair, there are chinese generic ones on sale on ebay usually to the tune of $400, new and used frames on sale on ebay and craigslist, or maybe by that time you'll be wanting a new bike anyhow?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Thats a sweet deal right there, I'll jump on it!
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Wonderful bike

I love my endura elite.....i own a xenith team as a race bike and this bike as my clubride/commuter. Whats nice about it, it is fast, comfortable, and stiff during out of the saddle climbs. The handling feels very resonsive compared to other bikes with taller head tubes. Bike feels like more of a long distance racer.

I have mine done up with a rear rack with panniers, lights front/back, and vittoria adventure 32mm tires. I commute in the dark and the ability to fit a larger tire makes railroad tracks and pot holes less of a concern while traveling at 20+mph. The ride is so stable and fast that i have done group rides with it....ofcourse with out the panniers.....and have been in my usual spot in the pace line.

This bike does not hold me back but opens up the door for an aggressive bike that is comfortable........also have to love the rack bosses on a fiber bike.