New-to-me Jamis Eclipse
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

New-to-me Jamis Eclipse

Started looking at new bikes and the Jamis Eclipse intrigued me - "high-end" steel, low weight, decent components, etc.

New Eclipses are $3200, and although that might be a fair price for a good bike, it seems the market doesn't bear that cost for a steel bike. Plus, $3200 was over my budget!

So... some diligent googling, and I found an Eclipse on Craiglist. A few million emails back and forth, one PrayPal, a little waiting, and here's the bike. The original owner sold the cool American Classic wheels for some low-end Shimanos. I'll probably upgrade at some point, but for now, I need to get out and ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Nice bike, enjoy.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Jamis makes good stuff but the $3200 price tag was too high. You could get custom steel for that much. I thought it would be a solid buy in the $2300 range. I like the panels and the whole setup.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice and I like the panels also!

What the what???
    Nice! I don't know why, but it doesn't seem that Jamis gets the press that many other manufacturers do, yet I've only read/heard good things about them. Glad to see this bike found a good home.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I'm getting ready to sell my 2007 Jamis Eclipse. It is in mint condition, with very low miles. If anyone is interested, send me a message and we can talk details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    What size and color?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    If you look up 2007 Jamis Eclipse, there only is one color. It is black CF and the steel is grey/silver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by acckids
    Jamis makes good stuff but the $3200 price tag was too high. You could get custom steel for that much. I thought it would be a solid buy in the $2300 range. I like the panels and the whole setup.
    I don't know why people say that, you'd be extremely hard pressed to have a custom Reynolds 853 frame built and painted then built with a carbon fork, Ultegra and American Classic wheels. Not from any reputable builder would that be possible.

Anyway to the OP, I love the bike. I have a 2011 Eclipse and it's fantastic. I hope you're enjoying yours just as well!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by acckids
    I don't know why people say that, you'd be extremely hard pressed to have a custom Reynolds 853 frame built and painted then built with a carbon fork, Ultegra and American Classic wheels. Not from any reputable builder would that be possible.

Anyway to the OP, I love the bike. I have a 2011 Eclipse and it's fantastic. I hope you're enjoying yours just as well!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Nice bike. I had a 2005 Jamis Quest until recently. It used the Reynolds 631 steel and a carbon fork. Super smooth riding bike. It won Bicycling Magazine's "Best Value Enthusiast Road Bike" that year. MSRP was around $1200, but I paid significantly less, and it was a fantastic bike in that price range.

The Eclipse is a step up from my Quest in both tubing and components, so that should be a super sweet riding bike. I'm also a lot less wary of buying a used steel bike compared to buying a used carbon or aluminum bike.
    Last edited by jabrabu; 04-25-2011 at 07:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I too looked for a used eclipse but to no avail. Went to all the lbs and one of them carried the Jamis line. They had a leftover 2010 Jamis Quest in my size. I've never ridden an eclipse so I really can't compare, but the Quest road great and was spec'd out with shimano 105 or better parts and Mavic Aksium wheels (sealed no maintenance hubs). The frame on the Quest is Reynolds 631 instead of the 853 on the eclipse, however both bikes on the Jamis website sound like they have the same 1 piece carbon fork and forged stays. I'm very happy with purchase and would definitely recommend anybody looking at an eclipse or another steel road bike check out the Quest as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSB
    If you look up 2007 Jamis Eclipse, there only is one color. It is black CF and the steel is grey/silver.
    Hi, do you still have the bike for sale? if so, what size is it? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I sell Jamis (covers my floor). Great bikes all around. I ride the 2011 Eclipse in hilly north nj. Love this bike. Smooth, stiff, light, and handles great.

At $3200 for a loaded 853 steel frame is actually very good. 600 series steel is cheaper. Also take note that the American Classic wheels are an $1100 set. I actually ride these wheels for road in summer, Cyclocross in fall, and winter commute. Going into my 3rd Cross season and they run straight and strong.

If you wanted an eclipse for less I would trade out the wheel set and give you a med quality wheel set that is found on most bikes in $2-3K range.

When used is hard to find it means that no one wants to sell a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nickt30 View Post
    I sell Jamis (covers my floor). Great bikes all around. I ride the 2011 Eclipse in hilly north nj. Love this bike. Smooth, stiff, light, and handles great.

At $3200 for a loaded 853 steel frame is actually very good. 600 series steel is cheaper. Also take note that the American Classic wheels are an $1100 set. I actually ride these wheels for road in summer, Cyclocross in fall, and winter commute. Going into my 3rd Cross season and they run straight and strong.

If you wanted an eclipse for less I would trade out the wheel set and give you a med quality wheel set that is found on most bikes in $2-3K range.

When used is hard to find it means that no one wants to sell a good thing.
    Very true! For the volume they've sold you don't see many of them for sale. I sell them too and ride the '11 Eclipse. I love the American Classics as well, thats awesome you use them for cross. I'll have to get some pictures up of mine with the full Sram Red on it now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Nice bike! I have the 2010 Jamis Quest that I bought about a month ago and love, love, love it! I can imagine the Eclipse would just be even more love!
    2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I have been riding a Jamis Eclipse, 2006 since I bought it new as a factory hold over in 2008 and honestly, I am still reluctant to replace the frame after over 8,000 miles. The 2006 is an 854/carbon mix and it is honestly the best ride I have ever owned. I have upgraded nearly every thing else but the frame.

Happy riding, they last forever.