Size suggestions for Satellite
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Size suggestions for Satellite

I'm looking to get a Jamis Satellite for my GF. She is 5'10" with a 32.75" inseam. I tried using Competitie Cylists fit calc and they recommend:

Seat tube range c-c 53.9 - 54.4 55.1 - 55.6 56.8 - 57.3
    Seat tube range c-t 55.5 - 56.0 56.7 - 57.2 58.4 - 58.9
    Top tube length 51.5 - 51.9 51.5 - 51.9 52.7 - 53.1
    Stem Length 10.6 - 11.2 9.5 - 10.1 9.7 - 10.3
    BB-Saddle Position 69.5 - 71.5 68.7 - 70.7 67.0 - 69.0
    Saddle-Handlebar 50.3 - 50.9 51.1 - 51.7 52.8 - 53.4
    Saddle Setback 6.5 - 6.9 7.7 - 8.1 7.2 - 7.6

Based on her measurements:
    Gender F
    Inseam 32.75 in
    Trunk 26 in
    Forearm 12 in
    Arm 24 in
    Thigh 24.5 in
    Lower Leg 21 in
    Sternal Notch 57.5 in
    Total Body Height 70 in

Their fits from left to right are "Competitie Fit, Eddy Fit, French Fit"
    The numbers seemed to leae me more confused than when I started. Basically I want to get the Satellite Sport Femme which only goes as large as a 53cm frame. The only local shop that carrys Jamis does not stock that model and would need to special order it for me since they sell so few road bikes. I tried finding bikes in the shop with similar geometry but since its a femme most bikes with a similar ETT had a much shorter headtube (10-20mm) which left those bikes with way too much saddle to bar drop and didn't provide good comparisons. I know I can always flip the stem to gain some bar height.

The bike that she test rode that felt good was the Giant Avail in Medium The main differences were a 1cm longer top tube and 1.5cm taller headtube. I tried linking to the geometry but apparently my post count is too low.

The other bike she test rode was a small Defy which had the same ETT as the Satellite but a 1.5cm shorter headtube. She said it felt like the bar was too low and close to her. I forgot to measure the stem on that bike while I was in the store.

Sorry for the wall of rambling.
    TLR - Will my '10" gf fit the Satellite comp Femme 53cm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say yes. Jamis also leaves a lot of steerer tube which will allow her to adjust the fit after she gets used to the ride.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I would suggest you hold off on ordering the Satellite Femme in a 53, and here's why....

Focusing on reach, and using the medium Giant Avail as a baseline for a good fit, if the Defy and Satellite have the same ETT and your GF found reach to be too close on the Defy, it stands to reason that the Satellite will feel the same. Sure, you could run a longer stem, but that's not going to fix the excessive saddle to bar drop, and a 1.5cm difference is pretty large in terms of bike fit, so you'll face a compromise of running a longer stem, max out on spacers and use an angled up stem. As long as you can attain a good fit and keep each compromise moderate, all will be well with f/r weight distribution, but IMO/E it's better to start with geometry that works well out of the box, then tweak fit with small adjustments to get it right.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jamis (and Satellites) are fine bikes, but because fit is important in this instance my advice is to use the Avail's geo as a baseline to compare to other bikes of interest. The closer the numbers are to it, the better your GF's fit is apt to be on those bikes.

BTW, IMO those online calculators are pretty near useless. As you've found, they do more to confuse than clarify a riders sizing/ fit requirements. Working one on one with a reputable fitter and doing some test rides will yield far better results.

HTH...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I forgot to mention the Defy had a 90mm stem while the Avail had a 110. I realize no amount of number crunching can compete with just test riding the thing. Part of the trouble is she lacks saddle time so she doesn't know how she wants the bike to fit.

I think I'll try to find a bike with closer geometry for her to test ride. If I go with the Femme and it ends up being too small I would likely just get her a Surly Pacer frame and sell the Femme frame.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by letstryscience View Post
    I forgot to mention the Defy had a 90mm stem while the Avail had a 110. I realize no amount of number crunching can compete with just test riding the thing. Part of the trouble is she lacks saddle time so she doesn't know how she wants the bike to fit.

I think I'll try to find a bike with closer geometry for her to test ride. If I go with the Femme and it ends up being too small I would likely just get her a Surly Pacer frame and sell the Femme frame.
    90-110mm's are moderate stem lengths and commonly interchanged to tweak a riders fit. My references to stem length/ angle changes would be more like 70mm (or conversely) 130mm and ~+12*.

Point taken re: lack of saddle time, but that's where an experienced fitters job takes over. The onus is on them to get sizing (then fitting) right. And even inexperienced riders recognize a decent fit, because the bike feels comfortable to them - just as your GF did with the Avail.

JMO (and admittedly based on little), but I think there are probably better choices for your GF than the 53cm Satellite Femme.