2006 Firenze - Comments Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nov 2005

2006 Firenze - Comments Please

Litespeed has greatly improved the Firenze for 2006. They have upgraded the frame to last year's Teramo and upgraded the components to Ultegra-class. Of course it's an all titanium frame.

I might buy this bike soon but I wonder if there are any significant changes that I should make to the components, or any other "gotchas". I have heard that the price will be about $2500.

COMPONENT SET
    Front Derailleur: Ultegra 6600
    Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 6600 (this might be a typo, I think it is Ultegra)
    Shifters: Ultegra 6600
    Cranks: FSA Gossamer Compact
    Bottom Bracket: MegaExo
    Cassette: Ultegra 6600
    Chain: Ultegra 6600
    Brakes: Shimano 105 Black
    Wheelset: FSA RD-88
    Tires Vittoria: Rubino Pro
    Headset: Cane Creek S-3
    Stem: ITM Forged Lite 31.8
    Grips / Bar Tape: Cork Black
    Saddle: fi'zi:k Aliante Sport Ti
    Seat Post: Thomson Aluminum

http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?i...renzess9nf.jpg

haole from the mainland

Haven't seen the Firenze, but comp. cyclist's

website says the 2006 Teramo frame just has some "slight cosmetic changes" (e.g., new graphics) relative to the 2005 Teramo frame, but that it's "structurally identical". Don't know where that leaves the Firenze.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test
    Litespeed has greatly improved the Firenze for 2006. They have upgraded the frame to last year's Teramo and upgraded the components to Ultegra-class. Of course it's an all titanium frame.

I might buy this bike soon but I wonder if there are any significant changes that I should make to the components, or any other "gotchas". I have heard that the price will be about $2500.

COMPONENT SET

RoadBikeReview Member

re:2006 Firenze

[QUOTE=Crash Test]Litespeed has greatly improved the Firenze for 2006. They have upgraded the frame to last year's Teramo and upgraded the components to Ultegra-class. Of course it's an all titanium frame.

COMPONENT SET

It's Dura Ace. My LBS has one in their shop for. It's a Teramo geometry with regular shaped tubing. Last year the Firenze was a the classic geometry, instead of the sloping seat tube geometry. List price at my LBS was $2450

I probably would have bought one, however said LBS in question had a great deal on an '05 Solano, that I couldn't pass up , and they told me the '06 models would go up in price d/t a materials shortage.

It looks like a great bike, so I'd go for it. Good Luck

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevers
    It's Dura Ace. My LBS has one in their shop for. It's a Teramo geometry with regular shaped tubing. Last year the Firenze was a the classic geometry, instead of the sloping seat tube geometry. List price at my LBS was $2450

I probably would have bought one, however said LBS in question had a great deal on an '05 Solano, that I couldn't pass up , and they told me the '06 models would go up in price d/t a materials shortage.

It looks like a great bike, so I'd go for it. Good Luck
    Stevers: By regular do you mean round? The pics on the web site don't look like round tubes. It looks like they are diamond or trianglular shaped.

haole from the mainland

On Litespeed's website it says

"The Firenze is a traditional round-tube frame..."

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/2006/road/firenze_.aspx

IMO, the frame's appearance is much improved over the 2005 and it no longer looks like the ugly, unloved stepchild of the Litespeed line.

Stevers: By regular do you mean round? The pics on the web site don't look like round tubes. It looks like they are diamond or trianglular shaped.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy
    "The Firenze is a traditional round-tube frame..."

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/2006/road/firenze_.aspx

IMO, the frame's appearance is much improved over the 2005 and it no longer looks like the ugly, unloved stepchild of the Litespeed line.
    Agreed. I think the wording came from the 2005 site and they just forgot to update it for 2006.

RoadBikeReview Member

re: 2006 Firenze

Agreed. I think the wording came from the 2005 site and they just forgot to update it for 2006.
    From what I saw the tubes were round, and not some other shaped. Like I said, I would have bought a 2005 if available

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    2006 has a shape top tube, and down tube....

Juanmoretime

Another change besides the tube shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by lemond2001
    2006 has a shape top tube, and down tube....
    2006 also has it going from a standard frame to a compact.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

Nov 2005
    In this picture it says "oversized diamond shaped down tube" and "3-sided top tube". The image itself seems to support the text. Don't know what frame Stevers was looking at, maybe it was an '05.

Steaming piles of opinion

COMPONENT SET

If the '06 Firenze is the '05 Teramo, why not buy the '05 Teramo, get yourself a 'better'
    nameplate, and save a bundle of cash? Competitive cyclist has the '05 Teramo, same kit, for $1699. The only difference I can find is the 2005 model has an integrated headset, the '06 Firenze a traditional. Small difference for eight bills.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Sep 2004
    In this picture it says "oversized diamond shaped down tube" and "3-sided top tube". The image itself seems to support the text. Don't know what frame Stevers was looking at, maybe it was an '05.
    ]
    Well, the website was still getting updated and that was a paragraph that was not finished. The Firenze is indeed made from shaped tubing with a 3-sided toptube and an oversized diamond shaped downtube and is an amazing bargain.

Sorry about the confusion.
    Herbert

Litespeed

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbertK
    Well, the website was still getting updated and that was a paragraph that was not finished. The Firenze is indeed made from shaped tubing with a 3-sided toptube and an oversized diamond shaped downtube and is an amazing bargain.

Sorry about the confusion.
    Herbert

Litespeed
    Herbert: what's the difference between an '05 Teramo and an '06 Firenze?

Sep 2004
    An 05 Teramo and an 06 Firenze share the same frame, but feature different components and different graphics. We really jazzed up the 06 graphics throughout the line.
    Hope this helps

Herbert
    Litespeed

Mar 2005

Differences???

So if the Firenze 06 is the same as the Teramo 05...then what's the difference between the 2006 frames?

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darthdiz
    So if the Firenze 06 is the same as the Teramo 05...then what's the difference between the 2006 frames?
    Both the 05 Firenze and the 05 Teramo had non integrated headtubes but the Teramo was compact and the Firenze traditional in terms of geometry, plus they varied in parts.
    For 06 both the Firenze and the Teramo are built around the same shaped titanium frame in a compact version with non integrated headtubes. These 2 bikes for 06 only vary in graphics and components.
    Cheers,
    Herbert

Litespeed

Mar 2006

'06 Firenze phase-out?

I am hoping to buy a Firenze this fall, but heard that Litespeed might be phasing them out in favor of the Teramo. Anybody else heard this, and if so, will the Teramo be offered in different component packages and at what prices?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbiker
    I am hoping to buy a Firenze this fall, but heard that Litespeed might be phasing them out in favor of the Teramo. Anybody else heard this, and if so, will the Teramo be offered in different component packages and at what prices?
    I don't know whether the Firenze will ne phased out, but the 2 bikes have the same frame so the only difference between the Firenze and Teramo are the components. Firenze is Ultegra-level and the Teramo is DuraAce.

Mar 2006

I bought the 06 Firenze

I bought the 06 Firenze in the beginning of March and have been able to put a few hundred miles on it. So far I love it. The ride is what you'd expect from a Ti frame -- very comfortable and smooth but extremely responsive. You can feel the bike accelerate when you step up your effort. Handling is great. This is my first compact crankset (previous bike had a triple). For me this gearing is perfect, with enough range to cover tough hills and sprints without the hassel of a third gear (which I found difficult to keep adjusted). I like the compact geometry, but that's a matter of personal preference. I upgraded my seat to a Fizik Aliante, but aside from that am happy with the stock components.

I had also looked at the Cannondale 6/13 and Trek 5200. I found this to be the best balance of performance and comfort. I stressed a lot about the decision, but all in all I'm extremely happy I got the Firenze. The only gripe I have is I find the graphics a bit much (fortunately if they really bug me I can peel them off). Best of luck on your decision

Nov 2005
    I have put about 300km on my Firenze this spring. Not a lot but here are my impressions as compared to my previous bike, which was a Giant OCR2.

- much smoother ride but still provides a nice feel for the road
    - handling is better: more linear and less twitchy even though the wheelbase on the Firenze is slightly shorter than the OCR2
    - more stable at high speeds
    - I like the compact double. I find that I use all 20 gears now. The OCR2 was a 9 speed triple but I found that I would rarely use the granny gear, and used only about 6 of the 9 gears on the middle and large sprocket. With the compact double on the Firenze there is less of a difference between each gear but I have more useable range
    - the Ultegra 10 speed rear der is not any better than the 105 9 sp. This is a little disappointing since I was expecting faster and crisper shifting. Maybe it needs more adjustment
    - the Ultregra front der is better than the Tiagra. Faster and less fussy. The Tiagra was fine but it had to be adjusted perfectly.
    - the 105 brakes are ok. I might upgrade the pads to something with more grip
    - the rear wheel (RealDesign SuperSphere) failed and is being replaced. While it worked it seemed ok although the ticking sound when coasting is very load (why?). This drives me crazy!
    - the Fizik Aliante Sport saddle is ok. I'm only 140 lbs so don't put too much stress on it, but I'm still not sure whether I like it. I will start playing with the position to see if I can find something more comfortable
    - compared the the OCR2 the Firenze doesn't seem to have any better acceleration. This was a surprise and a disappointment to be honest. The OCR2 seemed to have more jump when I hit the pedals. Considering that the Firenze should have a stiffer bottom bracket, stiffer frame, a better crankset and lighter wheels, I expected more.

Feedback or questions are welcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I bought an '05 Teramo through Competitive Cyclist. It looks like the only difference are in the brakes and seatpost. I've put about 3k miles on this bike since December. Overall, it's fantastic. The wheels (FSA RD-80) were piles of junk, they flex all around and handle like pieces of poo. I only weigh less than 140 lbs, so I imagine heavier people are just downright scared of these things. I'm not sure what these are doing on an otherwise great bike. Luckily, I have some wheels laying around that work well as replacements. Otherwise, the handling is great, the ride is smooth but responsive and the parts spec is good, albeit heavy. I won my first road race on this ride, and it's my first year racing, so, it seems raceable to me. And yes, compact doubles are now my friends. I want a 11-21 cassette for crits, but otherwise, the climbing prowess of this setup is amazing.

I found a huge difference between my old Ultegra 9spd and new Ultegra 10spd setups. Maybe my old setup is very worn, but the crisp shifts of the new Ultegra are amazing enough to inspire me to upgrade my mtb just to try to emulate it. The brakes are also a world better than the old Ultegra stuff. My only other gripe would be with the saddle, but that's a personal thing, and lots of people like the Aliante. I just have a strangely shaped butt I suppose.

Overall:
    pros:
    -classy frame that handles well and will never go out of style
    -good parts choice at this price point
    -handling

cons:
    -craptastic wheelset
    -heavy parts

Mar 2006

Opinions?

I am going to order the Firenze later in June - after reading a number of reviews I was thinking of asking to swap the Aliante Sport saddle for an Arione, and swapping the FSA wheels for Mavic Aksiums. Any opinions?

Nov 2005
    Both changes would be very helpful in my opinion. But you might want to try out the stock saddle first before making this decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Aliante Ti

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbiker
    I was thinking of asking to swap the Aliante Sport saddle for an Arione, and swapping the FSA wheels for Mavic Aksiums. Any opinions?
    i agree in general, but personally for me, moving to Aliante Ti has made all the difference.

Nov 2005
    After fiddling with the stock saddle for months I finally traded it in for a different brand. I found the Aliante saddle made my sit bones sore after about an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast