Douglas Pro 6/4 ti frames made by Litespeed
    titanium junkie

Douglas Pro 6/4 ti frames made by Litespeed

Does anyone have any experience with these frames from Colorado Cyclist? The only things that CC could tell me were they are made by Litespeed and use 6/4 ti but I would like to know more about them.

Are the whole frame made out of 6/4 material?

Are the tubes welded or are they seamlessly drawn?

Are their geometry similar to the Vortex?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Jun 2006
    All I know is that in the past, Douglas frames have been made by TST in WA. FWIW, I recently purchased a 2005 closeout frame (can't beat the price)...it is very nice (well built, nice welds, etc...) but rides a bit stiff for Ti.

titanium junkie

Question Douglas 6/4

Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    All I know is that in the past, Douglas frames have been made by TST in WA. FWIW, I recently purchased a 2005 closeout frame (can't beat the price)...it is very nice (well built, nice welds, etc...) but rides a bit stiff for Ti.
    Thanks for the reply. I also have a closeout Douglas Precision Ti frame from CC and I know for certain that this frame is made by Ti Sports in Washington because I have talked to them about it before. However, I understand that the new Pro 6/4 frames are made in TN by Litespeed to CC's spec but that is all I know for now. If CC keeps dropping their prices on these frames, I don't mind having one sometime in the near future.

Sep 2002

Maybe Herbert or Dave can weigh in

I just received my Colo. Cyclist catalog and noticed the Douglas 6/4 Ti frames which have been discussed in here a few times. Threads indicate they are made by Litespeed. Is their lower cost a branding issue because it does not have the exclusive name of LS or Merlin? Are there differences beyond price among Douglas and LS? I also noticed the Douglas 6/4 has an engraved top tube, much like Merlin. This is a bit disappointing since Merlin's engraving seems to add to it's more refined and swanky branding .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I'm starting to really like the Douglas Ti bikes. I just got the new CC catalog and keep reverting back to the Douglas page. They look really nice.

Trailbuck
    Nov 2006

Probably not drawn titanium

Tigoat,

I donít know about these frames. However, I donít think itís possible to draw 6/4 titanium. If it is, Iíd say very few do it. I would guess the tubes are shaped and welded if itís 6/4 titanium. Iím in manufacturing but have very little experience with titanium. Maybe someone could add to this.

Hereís some more info on 6/4 titanium.

6/4Al Titanium
    The most advanced tube currently available is 6/4Al Titanium. This can make a tube that is 30% stronger again, even compared to the best 3/2.5. However 6/4 is notoriously hard to work with. Itís made into sheets, then formed into tubes. As these donít even have to start their life as cylindrical, 6/4 is ideal for frame designs which demand a high degree of unusual shaping.

Have you ever been to the website www.whytitanium.com ? Thatís where the above information came from. You being a titanium frame enthusiast I think you will like the information there.

I wish I could give you more information about the frame make-up and geometry of the Douglas Pro 6/4 but maybe the above info. helped with some of your questions.

I myself have recently purchased a Litespeed Tuscany and I will never own another bike made from anything other than titanium. The next step up for me will be a custom titanium frame.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbuck
    I donít know about these frames. However, I donít think itís possible to draw 6/4 titanium. If it is, Iíd say very few do it.
    True, seamless 6/4 tubing is difficult to make. However, Reynolds has been selling mandrel butted seamless 6/4 tubing for a few years: http://www.reynoldscycles.co.uk/titanium6-4ti.html

6/4Al Titanium
    The most advanced tube currently available is 6/4Al Titanium. This can make a tube that is 30% stronger again, even compared to the best 3/2.5. However 6/4 is notoriously hard to work with. Itís made into sheets, then formed into tubes. As these donít even have to start their life as cylindrical, 6/4 is ideal for frame designs which demand a high degree of unusual shaping.

Have you ever been to the website www.whytitanium.com ? Thatís where the above information came from. You being a titanium frame enthusiast I think you will like the information there.
    I wouldn't take the whytitanium.com too seriously. It isn't a technical paper, it is marketting fluff. There are also plenty of myths and factual errors in it (such as "steel frames go soft"). I particularly like this quote: "The best titanium frames really can give you everything. Outrageous power transfer. Magic carpet smoothness. Unbearable lightness of being. Forever."

Trailbuck
    Nov 2006
    Great information and a great website! Thanks as Iím always looking to learn more about biking and manufacturing.
    I wish I could make a trip and check out the process used on their titanium tubing first hand.

titanium junkie
    Thanks for the reply. I posted this topic quite a while ago and forgot about it until someone digged it up again. Anyhow, I wasn't looking for info in regards to titanium as a material, as I work with titanium everyday (not bicycle frame related), but I was looking for more info specifically on those Douglas 6/4 ti frames from CC. Well, I was hoping to get more info from the horse's mouth but unfortunately not so it doesn't matter anymore. Have a good one!

Tigoat,

I donít know about these frames. However, I donít think itís possible to draw 6/4 titanium. If it is, Iíd say very few do it. I would guess the tubes are shaped and welded if itís 6/4 titanium. Iím in manufacturing but have very little experience with titanium. Maybe someone could add to this.

6/4Al Titanium

I wish I could give you more information about the frame make-up and geometry of the Douglas Pro 6/4 but maybe the above info. helped with some of your questions.

I myself have recently purchased a Litespeed Tuscany and I will never own another bike made from anything other than titanium. The next step up for me will be a custom titanium frame.
    Thanks,

titanium goat

titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark McM
    I wouldn't take the whytitanium.com too seriously. It isn't a technical paper, it is marketting fluff. There are also plenty of myths and factual errors in it (such as "steel frames go soft"). I particularly like this quote: "The best titanium frames really can give you everything. Outrageous power transfer. Magic carpet smoothness. Unbearable lightness of being. Forever."
    Thanks for the laugh. Have a good one!
    Thanks,

titanium goat