Litespeed Vortex
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Litespeed Vortex

Hi!

Can I ask you what do you think of a Litespeed Vortex? I have the chance to buy a 2003 Litespeed Vortex Dura-Ace:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...e#.UPaNZSdLPM8

1.This is a 6Al/4V titanium frame. How does it compare to the modern titanium frames?

2. I was told the bike rode few times along these years and it really seems quite new. How many top years can I expect from a 10 years old titanium frame?

3. The bike comes with Dura-Ace (9 speed, I guess) and a nice Mavic Wheelset. What would be a reasonable price for this bike, in your opinion?

Thanks a lot!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Any opinion, please...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ti is an excellent material for bike frames, and in theory should last indefinitely. Litespeed of that era and earlier were pretty good quality IMO. I have a '95 Merckx made by Litespeed and it looks perfect. The one you reference has a modern 1 1/8 fork which is a plus. The bike looks dated based on the old 9-speed group, and personally I'm not a fan of the ergonomics of that vintage of Shimano stuff. If it were mine I'd be eBaying the group and putting on something modern.

As for value, I usually look at eBay first. I'm seeing an older Ultimate bike that went for $1000 and I'm seeing a Tuscany, similar setup to the Vortex that's not getting any offers at $1600. Frame & fork alone should be worth $6-800. If the bike's in good shape I'd say $1200 max and $1000 would be a good deal. Just my opinion.

Examine the frame for any signs of cracking. especially check all around the BB area, and check the underside of the downtube.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Quite helpful.

Any other opinion?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't compare a Tuscany to a Vortex. The Vortex was their high end frame. The frame was made completely of 6/4 titanium alloy. A lighter alloy that is harder to fabricate. The Tuscany was made of 3/2.5 alloy --- a couple rungs down the ladder. Not to say that it wasn't a nice bike as well, just not nearly as expensive as the Vortex. With Dura Ace 7700, $1000 would be a good deal. $1500 would be reasonable. Frankly, I like the 7700 stuff better than the 7900 stuff. I'd ride it until you wear it out.