Merlin Extralight - build complete & ride report - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbgthree
    You can figure out the year your Extralight was made (if it was made before 2001) by referring to the chart at http://www.merlinbike.com/2006/class...spx?ac=vw&id=1 . The serial number is etched into one of the rear dropouts.
    Thanks cbgthree... I've been waiting on Merlin CS to reply to my inquiry about an Extralight serial number. You just helped me out!
    The one I'm considering is a 2000... Hope that was a good year!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

That page helped me out, too.

Thanks cbgthree... I've been waiting on Merlin CS to reply to my inquiry about an Extralight serial number. You just helped me out!
    The one I'm considering is a 2000... Hope that was a good year!
    You're welcome, redmasi. I bought a '98 Extralight in Feb. 2007, and used this page to figure out the year. Still had the link in my Gmail. I was surprised to see the page still existed (although it seems not to be linked from their site anymore).

I think the 2000-year frames have the S-curve seatstays. They look great! I wish my 1998 had them. (I'll just assume my straight stays make the rear triangle more solid. )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbgthree

I think the 2000-year frames have the S-curve seatstays. They look great! I wish my 1998 had them. (I'll just assume my straight stays make the rear triangle more solid. )
    Nada... the 2000 I'm looking at doesn't have the hourglass seatstays either. Read somewhere they began in 2001....

Says here that Merlin relocated to Chattanooga in 2000, so your '98 was amorously created at the original Merlin Metalworks in Cambridge, MA. That's pretty cool!
    My s/n is later in the model year... so perhaps it's a Tennessean.

http://www.mombat.org/Merlin.htm
    Last edited by redmasi; 07-20-2010 at 01:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Angry Merlin: Made in Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by redmasi
    Says here that Merlin relocated to Chattanooga in 2000, so your '98 was amorously created at the original Merlin Metalworks in Cambridge, MA. That's pretty cool!
    Yes, and as a nearly lifelong Massachusetts resident, I'm damn proud of that fact. Merlin owners around here still rue the day the company got shipped to Chattanooga. (Or, at least I do ... )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Funny how the carbon craze has made so many riders dump their Merlins for short money. Especially when the logic behind investing so much cash into a frame was "this will be your last frame".This past June I posted that a woman I train with had picked up a 2000 Extralight with a 7800 grouppo for $2,000. This summer she too defected and put the 7800 group on her new Specialized SL2. The upside to this story is she sold the mint Extralight w/ Colnago Force fork to me for a paltry $400. I built it up as a singlespeed weighing in at 14.75 lbs w/o pedals.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Similar story. A 1996 Extralight 51cm with DA 7410 for $950. Almost unused. I parted out the bike and rebuilt it with Rival and modern fork. I've got light wheel components and a scale coming. I think it will end up in the low 16 range based on it's currrent weight.

The catalog lists 2.2 pounds for the 51 in '96. Teehee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum and I have selected this post because it has been very important for me since I started looking for a titanium frame.

I was born in Basque Country and now I live en Canary Islands (Spain) and I started riding bycicles when I was a child.

After several months looking for a ti frame I got a Merlin Extralight with a 105 group and Mavic Helium wheels for 1100 euro. After some changes the bike is 6.78 kg (14.94 pounds) and still it can go lighter.

Merlin Extralight size 56
    C Record qs with 12/26 cassette
    Selle SLR 135
    Edge Stem 90 mm
    Maxś System Cougar handlebar
    Diabolic 20 mm tubular rims with Schwalbe Durano
    Stronglight Vulcan with FSA platinum bb
    Time RXS carbon pedals
    Nokon cables
    Mr Control brakes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I apologize for my written english.
    Thank you for helping me to choosing this frame.

bobswire
    Aug 2007
    Picked up this extralight frame a couple of weeks ago, went with Shimano 5700 105 and will be installing a threadless WoundUp fork soon.
    Nothing the matter with the Time fork but want something that tracks a little bit surer while descending and install a 3T threadless stem and Ergosum bar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobswire
    Picked up this extralight frame a couple of weeks ago, went with Shimano 5700 105 and will be installing a threadless WoundUp fork soon.
    Nothing the matter with the Time fork but want something that tracks a little bit surer while descending and install a 3T threadless stem and Ergosum bar.

Very pretty bike.
    Wich fork will you buy?, I am looking for one lighter than mine.

bobswire
    Aug 2007
    I'll be buying a Wound Up road fork with steel thread less steerer even though it's 100 grams heavier than the carbon steerer. I'm more concerned with my weight than the bikes.
    FYI I'm a 147 lbs or 66.6 kilos. :^)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    After several times going to plastic surgeon this is my old Merlin Xtralight. This is the most confortable bike I have ever ride.

Merlin Extralight size 56
    C Record qs with 12/26 cassette
    Selle SLR 135
    Edge Stem 90 mm
    Maxś System Cougar handlebar
    Diabolic 20 mm tubular rims with Schwalbe Durano
    Stronglight Vulcan with FSA platinum bb
    Time RXS carbon pedals
    Nokon cables
    Mr Control brakes
    Controltech Seat Post
    Bianchi carbon fork (1") and BBB aheadset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by perrete; 12-05-2011 at 09:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

prices

(I can't post an image or link because I have less than 10 posts, but if you want to see this bike search "merlin fixed gear" AND "black cloud"

I'm always amazed at what people pay for used bikes, but then again, I spend way too much time searching eBay for amazing deals.

Right now I'm around $1,400 for the complete. The only brand new parts are tires, tubes, tape, top tube pad and seat.

Funny story with my frame. About five years ago I saw this 1991 in mint condition with a carbon fork, Cane Creek headset, titanium bottom bracket and steel Salsa stem for $500. I was the only bidder for the entire auction, but I was sniped at the last second.

Heart broken I emailed the seller and said if the buyer doesn't pay you, I will gladly pay his bid. A week goes buy (I was over missing the deal at this point) when the seller said the buyer backed out because the auction incorrectly advertised the headset as a Chris King headset.

I was so excited I almost drove from Columbus to Indianapolis to pick it up!

I ended up selling the fork and headset for $150 so for $350 I got a mint frame, titanium bottom bracket and the stem.

The changes I've made since this picture was taken are a Boone 1/8" chainring, Brooks black leather tape, a black Litespeed seatpost clamp, White Industries freewheel (the fixed cog was left on), and an Ortlieb Mud racer saddle bag.

Looking for ti spokes, a ti crank, and White Industries pedals w/ Brooks toeclips and strap if anyone has them ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I think you can upload images if you cilc on "Go Advanced". I have less than ten posts and as you can see I have uploaded several images.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Fast ferd,
    I enjoyed reading about your Merlin Extralight build. I recently got back to riding my Extralight. Looks as good as the day I had it built. Since I'm new to the forum and can't yet post a new thread, I need some info. My Extralight has Spinergy Rev X tubular wheels, with a freewheel. I want to replace the freewheel but I can't find one online. I'm looking for a straight 7 speed 13-21. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Mal
    Weston, Florida
    '92 Merlin Extralight, 15.0 lbs.
    '14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Have you tried looking on ebay?
    Last edited by perrete; 01-12-2012 at 04:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Not yet but I will. Thanks.
    Mal
    Weston, Florida
    '92 Merlin Extralight, 15.0 lbs.
    '14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

biketom555
    Oct 2010

Smile Latest addition...Merlin that replaced LiteSpeed Ultimate

I picked up a Merlin extralite frame/fork back in January and completed the build a couple of weeks ago. The seller told me it is a 2005, but from what researching I did, it's probably a 2004. The frame is in extremely nice shape...like it was hardly ridden! The headbadge is engraved as well as the rear dropouts and bottom bracket shell...nice touch.
    I have only been able to ride it on one occasion so far because our weather here has not been cooperating. This Saturday looks promising, no rain or snow, so a couple of us plan to get in a good long ride.

Last edited by biketom5; 06-25-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added photo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by biketom5 View Post
    .....The seller told me it is a 2005, but from what researching I did, it's probably a 2004. The frame is in extremely nice shape...like it was hardly ridden! The headbadge is engraved as well as the rear dropouts and bottom bracket shell...nice touch. ....
    Also got an 04 or 05 at the end of Feb. Person claimed he rode it approx. 500 miles. I've ridden it three times now. Looks and rides very nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12