My Litespeed Archon C3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

My Litespeed Archon C3

Sharing my entry into the Lite!

Last edited by Crash4; 02-24-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    That is one awesome looking bike!!!

Did you buy it at your LBS or online?

What group set do you have?

What is your review on the ride?

How much does it weigh?

Did you modify anything on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    @adjtogo, thanky you!

Did you buy it at your LBS or online?
    - Bought it from our LBS early this year..

What group set do you have?
    - It came as a built bike, with full ultegra except the cranks which is an FSA gossamer BB30. Now changed to SRAM red and FSA Kforce cranks.

What is your review on the ride?
    - So far, I have riden over 120 miles, and the ride is awsome. It is very Aero, and you feel it in the descents. Ride quality and stiffness is very good. It also climbs very well for an aero bike. The bike begs to be ridden fast.

How much does it weigh?
    - Current set-up with the Red and FSA kforce crank is at 16lbs flat.

Did you modify anything on it?
    - Practically, I upgraded the groupset, saddle/bar tape and wheelset.. And transferred the removed parts to my other bike.
    Last edited by Crash4; 02-24-2011 at 10:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    some shitty pictures of mine:

This frame was not meant to have sram on it. All kinds of issues. 16lbs even, without my race wheels.
    09AS-Rslc/09Six

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I visited a few different bike shops recently and neither of them liked SRAM stuff. Both were fans of Shimano products. Both stated Campy is expensive, but over-rated because they can be rebuilt. Problem is, neither carry Campy in stock and have to be special ordered. Both said you get more bang for your buck with Shimano. Even the 105's are rated highly.

You guys have some very sharp looking bikes!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo
    I visited a few different bike shops recently and neither of them liked SRAM stuff. Both were fans of Shimano products. Both stated Campy is expensive, but over-rated because they can be rebuilt. Problem is, neither carry Campy in stock and have to be special ordered. Both said you get more bang for your buck with Shimano. Even the 105's are rated highly.

You guys have some very sharp looking bikes!!
    After making the leap to SRAM, I'll never go back to shitmano. Ride both and decide for yourself.
    09AS-Rslc/09Six

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lambdamaster

This frame was not meant to have sram on it. All kinds of issues. 16lbs even, without my race wheels.
    What do you mean this frame cannot have SRAM, what are the issues?

I plan to put SRAM red crankset on mine.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I'm only telling you what both LBS told me. The way I look at it, a lot of TDF riders use SRAM, so it must be good. Why they don't like it, I can't say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    What do you mean this frame cannot have SRAM, what are the issues?

I plan to put SRAM red crankset on mine.
    SRAM cranks are fine. The front derailleur won't work, and the rear derailleur will need to be spaced out (away from the cassette) or have the parallelogram body modified in order to work.
    The front der. cable is angled in such a way that it will rub against the front derailleur body (the spring area on the back) ... I don't understand the lack of foresight on litespeed's part for this issue. All sram FDs have similar dimensions, so this frame absolutely won't work with any sram FD without modification. I am using the stock ultegra FD.
    My sram rival RD will not shift into the small cog when installed normally. There is an issue with how the limit screws are designed, such that the lower limit screw, if set deep enough to prevent the cage from going into the spokes, will also prevent it from moving into the small cog. The fundamental issue though, is that litespeed's derailleur placement is too far inboard on the frame. The solution is either to space the RD outwards by 2-3mm with a washer/ custom der. hanger, or grind down the chunk of metal that the lower limit screw bottoms out against when shifting to the small cog.
    09AS-Rslc/09Six

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo
    I'm only telling you what both LBS told me. The way I look at it, a lot of TDF riders use SRAM, so it must be good. Why they don't like it, I can't say.
    No. Pro racers ride the bikes and components they get paid to ride. Whoever forks out the most money will be the sponser. Aside from saddles and shoes, the vast majority of the pros ride what they're given. High end Campy, Shimano and Sram are all perfectly good groups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Here she is now with some changes.

Last edited by Crash4; 02-24-2011 at 10:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Considered one of these - Great value at the moment in the UK. But concerned about the Seat stem (mast?)
    Is it a matter of cut it too short and you wave goodbye to your frame?
    If not, How is it for adjustment once you've cut it - I tend to alter my seat height sometimes (different cleats / riding styles / If I wear an extra layer of shorts!! etc)

Also, what's it like on a long ride, The reviews I've read praise its stiffness and power transfer but it looks like a bike for short fast work / races etc - How would it be on a century? - Sometimes stiff means uncomfortable

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash4
    Here she is now with some changes.

Just want to say that your choice of bartape, saddle and wheels are RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

IMO, don't have to even get to the ride this beauty, the bike is pure EYE-CANDY TO THE 100th DEGREE!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Litespeed Aero Seat Post kit

Quote Originally Posted by Flewbags
    Considered one of these - Great value at the moment in the UK. But concerned about the Seat stem (mast?)
    Is it a matter of cut it too short and you wave goodbye to your frame?
    Litespeed provides shims with the frameset for minor adjustment of saddle height, or you can retrofit a seat post from Litespeed to make the bike easier to transport in a case, etc.

Litespeed Seat Post Kit

I've been riding the Archon C2 since the end of November and to me it is more comfortable than my Litespeed Ti frame. The frame design does a great job of being stiff in the BB when hammering, while at the same time canceling out road chatter and keeping your bum happy.

The C2 frameset is a steal at Realcyclist.com at the moment. I've even thought of buying a spare for when / if I crash and it asplodes [sic].

No affiliation to the above mentioned retailer.....simply spreading the word about a good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Has anyone noticed frame flex in the rear while sprinting/climbing?

I'm a featherweight at about 120lbs and max out at around 1350w, but I manage to flex my rear wheel into the pads during efforts on both my wheels. Easton EC90 SL tub and Rolf Vigor SL. These aren't flexy wheels and there's plenty of pad clearance. Additionally, It seems to flex much more to one side than the other which could theoretically be caused by the asymmetrical stays. I did not notice this issue on any of my old frames (specialized roubaix, specialized tarmac, cannondale six). All these factors leads me to believe that it is more an issue of frame flex than wheel flex. Thoughts?
    09AS-Rslc/09Six

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    How are you guys liking your C3's ?? I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 Archon C3, or a Specialized Tarmac... not sure which route, mainly because i've been a Specialized guy for years and I honestly haven't heard much about Litespeed.
    Dan L.
    2011 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I regret buying mine. I could have gotten something better for the same amount of money.

I had a Tarmac and a Roubaix. Both were much more well made than the C3, and with fewer issues.
    09AS-Rslc/09Six

Formosan Cyclocross
    What kind of issues? It is rare to hear someone on these forums ever regret an expensive bike purchase, as we tend to want to defend our choices, so I would be interested if you culd detail your criticism.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Yes, please explain... as I have just ordered a 2010 leftover C3 the other day. If the issues you mentioned above (about swapping to SRAM) then I am okay with that, as I have no plans (yet) of swapping drive train parts.
    Last edited by Boosted333; 04-09-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Dan L.
    2011 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have read all the reviews on this bike and not found a bad one, the only complains are that wheelbase is short which seems to make it a little twitchy for climbing, and carbon weave finish isn't great. I do agree some of the fit and finish details could be better. e,g, like the drop outs are kind of rough. I noticed Lamda changed every single component on the bike so he must not liked it alot.. could his flexing issue be a combination of very light components? The skewers could be not giving enough clamping force?

I was able to bounce my butt up and down on the saddle, and the stock wheels compress a little bit, but never rub the brake pads, changing to a better wheelset solved the problem. The rear stays I think are thinner to provide a compromise between a comfortable ride and stiffness.

Check the headtube dimensions before you buy -- it has a short top tube for a more aggressive position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked at a 2011 C3 today for $2240 thinking about picking it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadone View Post
    I looked at a 2011 C3 today for $2240 thinking about picking it up.
    Thats an awesome deal for a 2011 C3. I just pulled the trigger on a 2011 C3 w/ Sram Force groupo and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL. I can't wait until it arrives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    I have read all the reviews on this bike and not found a bad one, the only complains are that wheelbase is short which seems to make it a little twitchy for climbing, and carbon weave finish isn't great. I do agree some of the fit and finish details could be better. e,g, like the drop outs are kind of rough. I noticed Lamda changed every single component on the bike so he must not liked it alot.. could his flexing issue be a combination of very light components? The skewers could be not giving enough clamping force?

I was able to bounce my butt up and down on the saddle, and the stock wheels compress a little bit, but never rub the brake pads, changing to a better wheelset solved the problem. The rear stays I think are thinner to provide a compromise between a comfortable ride and stiffness.

Check the headtube dimensions before you buy -- it has a short top tube for a more aggressive position.
    The headtube isn't as short as you think because it doesn't include the tall dust cap/conical spacer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkwan View Post
    Thats an awesome deal for a 2011 C3. I just pulled the trigger on a 2011 C3 w/ Sram Force groupo and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL. I can't wait until it arrives.
    Yeah...But it ended up being to small for me. They had a large which is 57cm and I needed a 60 or 61cm. The deal was for on hand stock only.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Hi. Nothing to do with conversation, but Im looking for a vintage Litespeed headbadge. Anyone know where I can get one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast