Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

SQUEAKY Look KEO Blade Pedals.....!!!

I have a new pair of 12Nm Blade KEO pedals and whenever they get sightly wet they irritatingly continue to squeak under power with every pedal stroke. On closer inspection it appears that when the "adjustment memory pad" in the center of the cleat gets slightly wet i.e. walking on damp grass or riding in the frosty morning, they will both start to squeaking. The Look instruction manual specifically advises against removing this small oval rubber pad in the center but I don't need them and cannot tolerate the incessant squeaking. Has anyone else encountered this or resolved the squeak? TIA Brendon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take them back, or trade them in for the Shimano Ultegra. I've read that a lot of people have trouble with the Look cleats. I know when mine start squeaking, I'll have the Shimano, on my bike. Look knows that this problem has been going on for a long time and they do nothing about it.They should have a recall or something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some Look Keo Classics on my bike, and I started getting a little noise on every pedal stroke the last 5-7 miles of my ride yesterday. I have read about Looks squeaking, but hadn't seen it mentioned regarding the Classics. I really do like the float these pedals provide, and hate the locked in feeling of Shimanos, but REALLY dont want to hear something on every stroke!! From what I have read, it is dirt between the cleat base and contact patch of the pedal, and a small amount of grease can stop it. Seems like alot of effort to stop an issue other manufacturers dont have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put a little bit of White Lightening on the springs of my Looks and it took care of squeak. I put a few drops on every few months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I had the exact same issue as you and there's a very simple solution. Sprinkle a small amount of talcum powder on and under the front lip and bottom of cleat. Squeak gone. Works every time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I would really prefer not to apply any wax/lubricant or talcum powder as they'll either attract dirt or turn into a thin paste > both of which will lead to the accelerated wearing of surfaces. I'm just going to remove the "adjustment memory pad" and see if that solves the squeaky issue....

RoadBikeReview Member
    The wax has not attracted any dirt on the pedals and contributed to any additional wear. Just put it on the springs...I've been doing it over a year and it's perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just remembered a trick that people use. Spray some Pledge furniture polish on the pedals. Pledge doesn't collect dirt, or not suppose to anyhow. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    These new blade pedals no longer have metal springs and I really feel that the squeaking is from the cleat. Look should adress this as apparently other pedals don't exhibit noise when it gets damp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Brendon,

This is an odd sort of issue. If you'd like to try a different set of cleats to see if that resolves the issue, PM me your shipping address and which cleats (0, 4.5, 9 degree, bi mat, or grip) your on. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Justin and Brendon,

I've had this issue with multiple sets of cleats and the same pedals, so I don't think another set of cleats is likely to solve the issue. I'm not sure what's causing the problem but the talcum powder solution was an easy fix and did not lead to any build up or premature wear. A tiny amount every month or so does the trick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    It's starting to get cold here and riding into the morning dew in Australia is akin to riding into a very fine mist of water. Everything gets damp and the talcum powder will more than likely dissolve or create a messy paste. The only silver lining to this is that others will be able to hear me albeit not being able to see me through the dew!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Soo View Post
    These new blade pedals no longer have metal springs and I really feel that the squeaking is from the cleat. Look should adress this as apparently other pedals don't exhibit noise when it gets damp.
    My bad...I must have overlooked where you said you had the blade pedals. My solution probably won't do any good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    i've used nothing but look pedals since 87 and the key to keeping 'em quiet is to keep 'em clean, and make sure the cleat and shoe interface is also clean and tight. a loose fastener on the shoe can also cause squeeking.
    I used pledge for a while too. however you might find (like i did) if you just keep 'em clean, its the same difference.
    it is amazing that Look gets away with this.
    i may be going to speedplay or beebop, but look will now UPGRADE and be my frameset of choice after wanting one for many years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Weird, i dont get this issue (keo Max or older keo Carbon) but i do know people who do, perhaps its the curve of the shoe sole effecting how the cleat interfaces with the pedal?
    Never tried it, but the older bi material cleat is supposed to be better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Brendon ... me too ... Same problem here with a pair of new blade chromo pedals, but right pedal only squeeks. Don't get me wrong they could be amazing pedals. About 800 squeek free wonderful miles, then 50 miles later they are driving me nuts. Bike is brand new, so are the pedals, so everything is spotless clean. I mean I won't even walk through wet grass or ride in the mist I am so paranoid about the new ride!

I have been riding Looks since 1988. Have this issue on and off with my old 296s (3 pairs on 3 bikes) and I just grease them - these bikes have over 100k miles so I don't care about wear and such, but I don't want to introduce materials (grease, talc, etc) onto the new ones already - although I too am open to peoples suggestions.

Currently using grey cleats on the blades and red cleats on the 296s ... funny thing is no squeeks when I ran black cleats for the years before the reds.
    Squeek happens when I push down on the pedal and kick or swing my heal, if I pull on the pedal no squeek. The squeek happens even with minimum power, like if I am at a stop and just swing it from side to side. Seems to me to be the rubber pad but ...

Justin, what interface causes the squeek typically?

Also guys, what's the real purpose of that rubber pad?
    Last edited by S2k552m; 04-29-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: sent accidently to soon

2012 Trek Madone 6 SSL - SRAM Red
    2009 Trek Madone 5 - SRAM Force
    2000 Cannondale CAAD4 - Campy Chorus
    1997 Colnago Tecnos - Campy Record Ti 9
    1998 Ciocc DR03 - Campy Chorus <retired>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    To update my squeeky pedal issue ... it's not the pad and the pedal platform. It's at the leading edge of the lever and the flat, back face of the cleat. I can easily repeat it and wear marks show the location. I illustrated it in the attached. I saw the same wear with my 296 pedals - red cleats, I guess those old cleats are so worn at this location there is no longer squeeking.
    Like I said before this is my right foot, this is the one that moves around alot.

Justin, I wouldn't call this odd. I know lots of people that have this issue. What are Looks thoughts on this? Other than the bi-material cleat ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S2k552m View Post
    Justin, I wouldn't call this odd. I know lots of people that have this issue. What are Looks thoughts on this? Other than the bi-material cleat ...
    I just haven't heard of a squeaking issue, but if there is, we'd like to figure out the root of the problem. I can try to duplicate the issue. Could you post images of the wear on your cleat and where you think the noise is coming from? What shoes are you using?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    If you look at my previous post, I marked in blue the location I believe is wearing and the squeeking is occuring. I'll take actual cleat pics asap and post.

Shoes are northwaves aerlite 3s with the keo blades (and northwave aerator with the 296s).

One quick note ... I switched from the grip cleats that squeeked to brand new bimaterial. Immediately the squeeking stopped, my concern is when I am back up to 500-1000 miles on these, if the squeek statrs again ... I have been down this path before. Btw, the grip cleats are a nice product when not squeeking and I would much rather use those.

I have a hard time believing you haven't heard of this (not calling you a liar, it's just hard to believe). I can randomly pick a site like the link below and half the comments are around squeek ---> LOOK Cleats Keo Grip on Excel Sports Boulder website. And although some of the comments are just idiotic, like the dumb quality control comment, it does make a point that there is something.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=5&minor=6

Additionally, I have known quite a few people with the issue, probably 20, half deal with it or find a way to eliminate it, but the other half ride speedplays now. Just like the Excel site, seems hit and miss, not sure if it's specific to certain pedaling styles or types of heel movement, since it happens only with my right and not my left, some guys have a squeek and some never. Also makes me think I should go back to black cleats since I never had a squeek with those.

One other squeek comment ... One of the most comical things I ever saw on a bike was one of my friends losing his mind at the end of 103 miles of pedal squeeking, he slammed on his brakes as we finished and threw his bike in the woods, cursing and grumbling the through the process - and he was a mellow guy, this is back in 1999 so it's been a while, but that's another story for another time.

Thanks for the response Justin.
    Last edited by S2k552m; 05-03-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added information

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    S2k552 (you have an S2000?!),

Well, I am the FNG around here, and I am a cyclocrosser, so I break down and clean my bike several times a year and it still makes all sorts of noises. Anyway...

Its would be difficult to nail down the exact factor, but I do think several things could be contributing to creaks and squeaks. Obviously the more float you have, the more chance you have to develop some noise...but that would ultimately depend on your pedaling style. If your knee's are smooth and do not track out during a pedal stroke, then your cleat would move very little, resulting in little, if any, friction during normal use. If your knee's track out with each stroke, then, yeah, I say you run the risk of more wear and tear on the cleat and possibly getting something in the interface causing some noise. We could also explore the curve of the sole of each shoe, but that would get out of hand since there are so many variations and it would be difficult to say how the distortion may part of the equation. I try to work with all the teams we sponsor (domestically) to make sure the fit is spot on with their shoes and that there are no issues. So far this year Optum Health (Kelly Benefits), Cal Giant, Tibco, Primal/Map My Ride have not had anything like this come up (they all pretty much run the black cleat though).

I love the "just switch to XXX pedal" answer...because no matter what pedal you choose, its going to require some sort of lube every now and then (they have some sort of moving parts). Some more than others. I'll keep digging and see if we can't nail down more common causes though, perhaps it is a certain cleat to shoe combo. I have a feeling its more to do with knee movement though, and that's tough to quantify.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Justin.

S2000 ... had one for 5 years, loved it

My pedal stroke is very smooth and I am a spinner and a real light weight (140lbs). I take very good care of my equipment and don't abuse it. There is something with the way my right knee moves that forces my heel to kick out very slightly. I figured this dynamic is contributing to the squeek but also thought if a cleat has float it's meant to move. I need some movement that's why I went with the grey cleats ... but think I may try out a set of blacks again.

I have Looks on 4 road bikes, and 8 bikes total since the late 80's. I like Looks so I am sticking with them (plus it would be too expense to replace them at this point), but I honestly know quite a few people with the squeek that are frustrated, Look should check this out. thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    S2k552m,

Right on. I'd prefer you'd want to stay on LOOK because you wanted to, not because it was a cheaper option, so if you want to try a set of black cleats again, PM me your details and I'll dig around for a set for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Justin, thanks for the response. I already have a set, just picked them up, and will be trying them out soon. But thanks for the offer. I will update this thread if anything new happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I have Look Keo Blade Ti and they squeak like crazy, left and right. It is the interface between the cleat and the metal pad in the middle of the pedal. It is not float related, as when i float my pedal deliberatly to its extremes, there is no noise. Just pushing on the pedal when stationary even creates the noise. Vaseline made it worse.
    I cleaned it all up good, cleats and pedals, perfectly clean, still makes noise. Squirt water on the pedal noise goes away for 5 minutes. Sometimes goes away by itself, sometimes its ok on the right, squeaks left or vice versa.
    Driving me nuts, these are only 3 weeks old.
    Have scoured forums, seems wax may be answer, will try that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Let me preface my comments w/ the people at LOOK have always been great to me and issues that I have had in the past. That having been stated, I have the same pedal issues too. I have been reluctant to write anything but I've had 2 new sets of these pedals and they both squeek. It is really aggrivating but I just put up w/ it. It is kinda sad though as I have a LOOK 695 attached to the pedals. $10,000 squeak machine - woo hoo! I would like to know if there is a fix????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast