2018 NBA Playoffs

Printable View

  • 04-14-2018
    SystemShock
    2018 NBA Playoffs
    Was pleasantly surprised to see the Warriors smash the Spurs in Game 1 of the first round. Especially considering how GS basically sleepwalked into the playoffs over the last month of the season. No intensity, no defense. :(

    But then, bam! 'Flipping the switch', indeed. Much better D, much more intensity/focus. But with Curry potentially not coming back this season, or coming back at less than 100%, will even that be enough against, say, the red-hot Rockets in the Western Conf finals?

    The Warriors, great as they are, have never looked this vulnerable during their current 'dynasty run' outside of the 2016 Finals, where Bogut went out for the series and Curry was badly hampered by injury.

    Other series I'm hot to see:

    Heat-Sixers. Looking at the Sixers is like looking at the future. How good can they become, and how quickly? The Heat's future is less bright, but they've become a 'sleeper' team late in the season, and shouldn't go down easily.

    Jazz-Thunder. Probably the most evenly-matched series of the first round. Great defense takes on tremendous length, offense, and size.

    Celtics-Bucks. Boston has had a great season, but its now trying to navigate the postseason sans its two big stars, Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. It's just interesting to see if 3 through 15 can get it done against Giannis & Co.

    Cavs-Pacers. The Warriors have apparently flipped the switch. Can the new-look Cavs do same?

    .
  • 04-14-2018
    SystemShock
    Oh, and of course Popovich was his usual douchey self after the Spurs' loss.



    <iframe width="512" height="288" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-DRyh-WxjUA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
  • 04-14-2018
    azpeterb
    The Phoenix Suns are going to shock the world!!
  • 04-15-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The Phoenix Suns are going to shock the world!!


    https://i2.wp.com/nerdgeekfeelings.c...sada.gif?w=420
  • 04-15-2018
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Oh, and of course Popovich was his usual douchey self after the Spurs' loss.

    He doesn't care about your reaction, he cares about his team's reaction. And over many years, his teams have responded pretty well.

    I would rather have more like Pop than more who spout the cliches over and over again. Same words about wins, same words about losses, now and 4 months ago for many of them.
  • 04-15-2018
    Jay Strongbow
    "Boston has had a great season, but its now trying to navigate the postseason sans its two big stars, Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward"

    Hayward has been out all but 5 min. of the season. So no impact there relative to the great season.

    Irving is obviously a huge loss. And Marcus Smart is out. Smart might not seem like a big deal if you look at box scores and only see a game here and there. But that's a huge loss too. He shuts down pretty much who ever he defends and his modest stat totals seem to all come at key times.

    My hopes were pretty high a month ago. But certainly not now.

    Can we talk Boston Bruins instead? :)
  • 04-15-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

    Can we talk Boston Bruins instead? :)

    Nope. I'm a California coast boy, I know nothing of the ice and snow and your 'hock-key'. :cool:

    j/k. My middle brother is actually a huuuuuge SJ Sharks fan.
    .
  • 04-15-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    He doesn't care about your reaction, he cares about his team's reaction.

    And over many years, his teams have responded pretty well.

    Well, until they don't. Case in point... Pop's indelicate handling of his best player's major quad injury. He's subtly questioned Kawhi's willingness to rehab and come back and play, and also seemingly attacked Kawhi by proxy through some of his other players, such as Tony Parker.

    This has caused no shortage of drama in SA, and the Spurs have underperformed this season. Coincidence? :(

    Yet, despite all the pushing and mind-games, Leonard's still not back, and looks very, very unhappy indeed. He could be playing for someone else next season (or the season after that, if he waits 'til his contract's up), and Pop's douchey 'tude may well be the cause. And Kawhi's departure would immediately put the Spurs into 'rebuilding' mode.


    Quote:

    I would rather have more like Pop than more who spout the cliches over and over again. Same words about wins, same words about losses, now and 4 months ago for many of them.
    There's a third way. Check out some of Steve Kerr's press conferences... he just comes out and tells it like it is. No BS, few cliches, and he isn't overly harsh on the press or his players. IOW, classy.

    Which Pop really isn't, regardless of his good overall track record.
    .
  • 04-15-2018
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Nope. I'm a California coast boy, I know nothing of the ice and snow and your 'hock-key'. :cool:

    j/k. My middle brother is actually a huuuuuge SJ Sharks fan.
    .

    The Kings have been around long enough so if you did comment as a fan I'd listen.

    But if any California coast surfer dude started talking about actually playing the game I'd have to go full Mass-Hole on you.
  • 04-15-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    The Kings have been around long enough so if you did comment as a fan I'd listen.

    But if any California coast surfer dude started talking about actually playing the game I'd have to go full Mass-Hole on you.

    Eh, you and some Canadians can go and have a hockey snob-off, it's okay by me. :wink5:
    .
  • 04-15-2018
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Eh, you and some Canadians can go and have a hockey snob-off, it's okay by me. :wink5:
    .

    I live right next to the Boston Garden so see a lot of fan behavior before and after and go to my share of games. These Toronto fans this series for the most part don't want to play.

    Montreal though. Wow. Up there too. I would say more of an obnoxious-loud-mouth-ahole-off then a snob-off though. Boston is world class in that area. I'd give the crown to Philly though.
  • 04-16-2018
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Well, until they don't. Case in point... Pop's indelicate handling of his best player's major quad injury. He's subtly questioned Kawhi's willingness to rehab and come back and play, and also seemingly attacked Kawhi by proxy through some of his other players, such as Tony Parker.

    This has caused no shortage of drama in SA, and the Spurs have underperformed this season. Coincidence? :(

    Yet, despite all the pushing and mind-games, Leonard's still not back, and looks very, very unhappy indeed. He could be playing for someone else next season (or the season after that, if he waits 'til his contract's up), and Pop's douchey 'tude may well be the cause. And Kawhi's departure would immediately put the Spurs into 'rebuilding' mode.

    So, putting aside the details of what you think is going on, or the reasons for it...

    ... you should be able to list more than one example, given a very long career. I'm not saying you can't, but rather if there is an issue of style, then you should be able to given Pop has been the coach since 1996.

    I don't recall any past incidents, but then I don't really follow or even pay much attention to the NBA. So let me know what I have missed over the past 2+ decades of his time in SA.
  • 04-16-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    So, putting aside the details of what you think is going on, or the reasons for it...

    ... you should be able to list more than one example, given a very long career. I'm not saying you can't, but rather if there is an issue of style, then you should be able to given Pop has been the coach since 1996.

    I don't recall any past incidents, but then I don't really follow or even pay much attention to the NBA. So let me know what I have missed over the past 2+ decades of his time in SA.

    I gave one example, but it's a pretty friggin' BIG example, considering that Pop driving away the guy who is by far their best player hurts them greatly, kills any chance they have of winning a championship in the near-term, and immediately sends them into rebuilding mode.

    So... blowing up the franchise for the next few years isn't an obvious enough illustration of how Pop's style is a double-edged sword? Well, alrighty then. :skep:

    Don't get me wrong, I do respect Pop's overall results. But, by the same token... how many star free agents or even good free agent role players have eschewed playing in SA because it'd mean putting up with Pop's 'scream at you/question your manhood' coaching style? We'll never know for sure, but I'd bet it's a non-zero number by a fair sight.

    Pop's defenders always cite his five championships in 21 years. And yup, that is quite awesome, absolutely. But, he's only won one in the past 11 seasons (and he's nowhere near being able to win one now).

    And, how many more could he have won if he'd combined his great basketball intellect with maybe just a bit more tact/restraint vis a vis his 'motivational tactics'? Food for thought, even if we'll never know for certain.

    Btw Q, why such seemingly strong opinions here, if you don't "follow or even pay much attention to the NBA", as you say? Or are you just playing devil's advocate for funsies?

    If its the latter, I'll give you a 6.5 out of 10. Not bad, but not terrific, either. :)
    .
  • 04-16-2018
    SystemShock
    All eight Game 1s are over, and the only semi-big shock? The Cavs getting absolutely smoked by the Pacers.

    Apparently the Cav's light switch is broken, 'cuz they're having a hard time flipping it. :(
    .
  • 04-16-2018
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I gave one example, but it's a pretty friggin' BIG example, considering that Pop driving away the guy who is by far their best player hurts them greatly, kills any chance they have of winning a championship in the near-term, and immediately sends them into rebuilding mode.

    So... blowing up the franchise for the next few years isn't an obvious enough illustration of how Pop's style is a double-edged sword? Well, alrighty then. :skep:

    ...

    Btw Q, why such seemingly strong opinions here, if you don't "follow or even pay much attention to the NBA", as you say? Or are you just playing devil's advocate for funsies?

    I asked for more examples for a reason. I thought you might have some. It's that simple. I'll put you down for one big example, which might be an event, but is certainly not a pattern. Might be the start of a trend though, so when you find the second example....

    As for blowing up teams, that seems to have become a trend in pro sports of all types when a team starts to slide, or get old. Perhaps SA is trying to get that to happen faster than might otherwise happen? Aim for a super fast path to the bottom and rebuilding. It would not surprise me if Pop had a plan like that, since he does seem to be a long term thinker. I mean, I don't know a lot, but I do know that some have called Pop the "patron saint of rest". https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...r-and-earlier/ Something of a trend now across the NBA, and a pretty player centric approach, imo. One that focuses on playoffs and not each game.

    Kind of like focusing on seasons and not just one season.
  • 04-16-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I asked for more examples for a reason. I thought you might have some. It's that simple. I'll put you down for one big example, which might be an event, but is certainly not a pattern. Might be the start of a trend though, so when you find the second example....

    As for blowing up teams, that seems to have become a trend in pro sports of all types when a team starts to slide, or get old. Perhaps SA is trying to get that to happen faster than might otherwise happen? Aim for a super fast path to the bottom and rebuilding. It would not surprise me if Pop had a plan like that, since he does seem to be a long term thinker. I mean, I don't know a lot, but I do know that some have called Pop the "patron saint of rest". https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...r-and-earlier/ Something of a trend now across the NBA, and a pretty player centric approach, imo. One that focuses on playoffs and not each game.

    Kind of like focusing on seasons and not just one season.

    I think you're giving Pop too much credit for a 'master plan' that probably isn't there. Kinda like the ppl who credit Trump for being a 'great negotiator' when, most likely, he's just winging it and/or behaving emotionally.

    Beyond that, I'm hesitant to engage, because you yourself say you're not an NBA fan. But I do know you to be a professional devil's advocate. :wink5:

    Say some more stuff that demonstrates some true NBA knowledge/interest, and I'll see about taking you more seriously on this one.

    But really, Q, it's an open secret in the NBA that Pop's a douche. It's not really even controversial to say anymore. At his press conferences, occasionally the camera will swing to the reporter's seats, and often, there's almost no one there. Because no one even wants to ask him questions.

    .
  • 04-16-2018
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I think you're giving Pop too much credit for a 'master plan' that probably isn't there.

    ...
    Say some more stuff that demonstrates some true NBA knowledge/interest, and I'll see about taking you more seriously on this one.

    But really, Q, it's an open secret in the NBA that Pop's a douche.


    I don't say there is a master plan. Just that it is possible. For example, in the NFL the Patriots have let a lot of players go that seemed questionable. But time after time, they showed they were close to a drop in production. Now it is accepted that they do that, and are good at the timing. So any new examples, and people will assume the Patriots know something we don't about the player. They will at least consider it, given the pattern over time.

    SA's situation could be something similar, we don't know. Or it might not be. We don't know.

    I could post detailed statistical analyses on the NBA. I can read, and I can follow arguments based on numbers, and I can cut and paste. I could take you so far out into the weeds that you would get dizzy. But so what? I have already said I don't know a lot. I do read things, and I remember things well. And despite my level of knowledge (low) I am still capable of pointing out issues with analysis, such as when people try to use one data point to make a conclusion about a lot of data points. That's a general issue in evidence based arguments of all sorts.

    And if you care to re-read my posts, you won't find me denying Pop is a douchebag. But feel free to pretend I did if it makes your posting easier. :D I would say he has always been a douchebag, and also point out that constants don't explain variables very well at all.
  • 04-16-2018
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I don't say there is a master plan. Just that it is possible. For example, in the NFL the Patriots have let a lot of players go that seemed questionable. But time after time, they showed they were close to a drop in production. Now it is accepted that they do that, and are good at the timing. So any new examples, and people will assume the Patriots know something we don't about the player. They will at least consider it, given the pattern over time.

    SA's situation could be something similar, we don't know. Or it might not be. We don't know.

    I could post detailed statistical analyses on the NBA. I can read, and I can follow arguments based on numbers, and I can cut and paste. I could take you so far out into the weeds that you would get dizzy. But so what? I have already said I don't know a lot. I do read things, and I remember things well. And despite my level of knowledge (low) I am still capable of pointing out issues with analysis, such as when people try to use one data point to make a conclusion about a lot of data points. That's a general issue in evidence based arguments of all sorts.

    And if you care to re-read my posts, you won't find me denying Pop is a douchebag. But feel free to pretend I did if it makes your posting easier. :D I would say he has always been a douchebag, and also point out that constants don't explain variables very well at all.


    Post noted. :wink5:
    .
  • 04-16-2018
    DaveG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Was pleasantly surprised to see the Warriors smash the Spurs in Game 1 of the first round. Especially considering how GS basically sleepwalked into the playoffs over the last month of the season. No intensity, no defense. :(

    But then, bam! 'Flipping the switch', indeed. Much better D, much more intensity/focus. But with Curry potentially not coming back this season, or coming back at less than 100%, will even that be enough against, say, the red-hot Rockets in the Western Conf finals?

    The Warriors, great as they are, have never looked this vulnerable during their current 'dynasty run' outside of the 2016 Finals, where Bogut went out for the series and Curry was badly hampered by injury.

    Other series I'm hot to see:

    Heat-Sixers. Looking at the Sixers is like looking at the future. How good can they become, and how quickly? The Heat's future is less bright, but they've become a 'sleeper' team late in the season, and shouldn't go down easily.

    Jazz-Thunder. Probably the most evenly-matched series of the first round. Great defense takes on tremendous length, offense, and size.

    Celtics-Bucks. Boston has had a great season, but its now trying to navigate the postseason sans its two big stars, Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. It's just interesting to see if 3 through 15 can get it done against Giannis & Co.

    Cavs-Pacers. The Warriors have apparently flipped the switch. Can the new-look Cavs do same?

    .

    I don't think my Sixers are good enough to go all the way but it is impressive that they have come this far after being one of the worst teams in NBA history in 2015/16 (winning only 10 games)
  • 04-16-2018
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I don't think my Sixers are good enough to go all the way but it is impressive that they have come this far after being one of the worst teams in NBA history in 2015/16 (winning only 10 games)

    Wow. I knew they sucked prior to this year but didn't realize it was that bad.
  • 04-16-2018
    DaveG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Wow. I knew they sucked prior to this year but didn't realize it was that bad.

    They may have purposely tanked some games to get a better pick. The 1972/73 Sixers (after they traded away Wilt Chamberlain) had the worst record of all time until the Bobcats took that away in 2013 (with a shortened season)
  • 04-16-2018
    chuckice
    All eastern conf games could be close/fun to watch...
  • 04-17-2018
    SystemShock
    Spurs get spanked again. Despite playing an admittedly awesome first half.

    No word on whether or not Pop's waterboarding his lineup in response.

    Also, the Heat beat the Sixers in Game 2, behind some terrific work by 36-year-old Dwayne Wade. Have to consider that the 'old vs young' series. :)
    .
  • 04-20-2018
    colnagoG60
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I don't think my Sixers are good enough to go all the way but it is impressive that they have come this far after being one of the worst teams in NBA history in 2015/16 (winning only 10 games)

    If they would cut down on the unnecessary turnovers, and maybe half a dozen less wasted/rushed offensive trips per game, I'd think they'd have a shot of taking it all. But unfortunately, they still look a lot like they have since beginning of the season.
  • 04-21-2018
    SystemShock
    WOW... the Pacers STUN the Cavs with a big second half comeback. Cavs were up by 17 at the half, but still couldn't hold on.

    Pacers are now up in the series 2-1 & are really making LeBron & Co sweat. :blush2:

    The East sure has changed. For the past three years, its been a foregone conclusion that Cleveland would win the conference. But now there's five teams (Indy, Cleveland, Boston, Philly and Toronto) that can plausibly do so.

    I think it's more fun this way. Ditto in the West, where Houston looks to give the Warriors a very serious run for their money in WC Finals (or even bump them off(!)), assuming New Orleans can't upset them first.
    .