2019 NBA Playoffs

Printable View

  • 05-15-2019
    xxl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    And then there were four...

    Western Conf Finals: Golden State vs Portland
    Eastern Conf Finals: Toronto vs Milwaukee

    I'll take GS in six, and Milwaukee in six as well (sorry Canada).
    .

    In three of those four cities, NBA players can go from lighting it up on the court to lighting it up in weed dispensaries.

    Just saying.
  • 05-15-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    You too!

    Just don't act like you get to police opinions in an online forum. You have your feelings, I have mine.

    I understand that when panties get in a bunch they get pretty uncomfortable and then it has to be taken out on someone, even if the reason those panties got so wadded up to begin with had everything to do with the wearer of said panties.
  • 05-15-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I don't like the NBA. I'm free to say I don't like it.

    Yeah, we get it. At this point, you're just repeating yourself ad infinitum.

    Don't really get the point of going into a thread about something you don't like, and screaming at the top of your lungs, multiple times, "I don't like this!!!!". The ppl in this thread don't really CARE that you don't like this. They do care that you're being obnoxious about it.

    Put another way... you've stated you like watching soccer. Cool. Maybe you start a thread on soccer, because you want to talk about it. If someone were to come into said soccer thread and post, again and again, how much they HATE soccer and how it's a crap, boring, lame sport, well, yes, they'd technically be free to say that, but, what good does that do? It's clearly immature and dumb. You need to pick your audience, instead of just trolling.

    If you don't like the NBA and/or NFL, great, then start your own thread on it. You might even get a good discussion going. But to come into a thread, that's clearly labelled, where fans of a sport are talking about the playoffs of said sport, and then flinging your own personal monkey-poop everywhere in the name of 'freedom of speech', that's just dumb and very self-centered, sorry to say. And I'm free to say that.

    Have a nice day, and pls stop thread-jacking. You'll be a lot more popular if you do... and ppl might actually be willing to listen to you instead of dismissing you as a loud, angry, intentionally-disruptive jerk, too.
    .
  • 05-15-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I think the bucks have more than a punchers shot [in the Finals]. They have a great player, a good point guard, a center that can step out and make threes and open up the floor and shooters. Giannis has a look about him, he has a chance to be the best player in the game.

    Of course, they have to make it past Toronto first.

    Agreed. I think a GS vs Milwaukee finals will be more competitive than some ppl believe, particularly if KD and Cousins are still out or are not 100% due to their injuries.

    The Warriors are less' inevitable' than they've been in awhile, and I think that's good for the league. Although, it is kinda strange... the Michael Jordan Bulls in the '90s won six championships in eight years, and almost no one seemed to complain about how 'inevitable' they were. Hmm. :(

    The only decent counterpoint to that that I've heard is that when KD arrived, the Warriors manufactured an artificial 'superteam', and 'thats not cool'.

    Well, okay, but in these playoffs, KD is going to be unavailable for a long stretch, and may not be 100% when he does come back, if he even does. GS closed out Houston without KD. And, if Curry, Klay, Dray & Co. win the Finals either without KD or with a diminished version of him (which they already did in 2015, btw), are ppl going to warm up to the Warriors, or will they still grouse somehow?

    I suspect it'll be the latter, because the Warriors-dislikers have other reasons beyond 'superteam' for their feelings on the matter.

    Maybe it's a sort of cool, aloof, effortless-looking superiority in GS's play that's annoying. The Warriors do, at times, look like they're playing a game that they have totally figured out, or even another game entirely from the rest of the league. And it's due to their system and synergy, not the superhero efforts of one transcendent player, as was the case with Jordan and the Bulls (though actually, there was a system there too... triangle offense, and good team defense).
    .
  • 05-15-2019
    SystemShock
    Before we mentally move on entirely from the Houston-GS second-round battle... how sad is it that we didn't get to see a reunion between DeMarcus Cousins and 'foul-huntin' Chris Paul in that series?


    https://tinyurl.com/jvvf83y
  • 05-15-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    In three of those four cities, NBA players can go from lighting it up on the court to lighting it up in weed dispensaries.

    Just saying.

    Don't forget to watch the NBA playoff TV ratings too. Any reassemble to "up in smoke" is merely a coincidence.:D

    First NBA finals without Lebron since 2009 (to me a good thing), and small audience size of prospective teams (OK Frisco is not small), but an underdog taking the Champs to the edge of defeat could be a surprise.

    The question is will D. Green play hardball with either of the remaining East team super stars and get away with it. Or will he be benched for thuggery, and if so, will this be considered the League playing hardball for ratings?
  • 05-16-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Agreed. I think a GS vs Milwaukee finals will be more competitive than some ppl believe, particularly if KD and Cousins are still out or are not 100% due to their injuries.

    The Warriors are less' inevitable' than they've been in awhile, and I think that's good for the league. Although, it is kinda strange... the Michael Jordan Bulls in the '90s won six championships in eight years, and almost no one seemed to complain about how 'inevitable' they were. Hmm. :(

    The only decent counterpoint to that that I've heard is that when KD arrived, the Warriors manufactured an artificial 'superteam', and 'thats not cool'.

    Well, okay, but in these playoffs, KD is going to be unavailable for a long stretch, and may not be 100% when he does come back, if he even does. GS closed out Houston without KD. And, if Curry, Klay, Dray & Co. win the Finals either without KD or with a diminished version of him (which they already did in 2015, btw), are ppl going to warm up to the Warriors, or will they still grouse somehow?

    I suspect it'll be the latter, because the Warriors-dislikers have other reasons beyond 'superteam' for their feelings on the matter.

    Maybe it's a sort of cool, aloof, effortless-looking superiority in GS's play that's annoying. The Warriors do, at times, look like they're playing a game that they have totally figured out, or even another game entirely from the rest of the league. And it's due to their system and synergy, not the superhero efforts of one transcendent player, as was the case with Jordan and the Bulls (though actually, there was a system there too... triangle offense, and good team defense).
    .

    My warriors distaste stems from Draymond, from being a Sparty to being a whiny cheap shot artist (probably redundant since, you know Sparty) he is the type of player that if he ain't on your team you hate him.

    (See also Bill Laimbeer, Kevin McHale, etc etc.)
  • 05-16-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    My warriors distaste stems from Draymond, from being a Sparty to being a whiny cheap shot artist (probably redundant since, you know Sparty) he is the type of player that if he ain't on your team you hate him.

    (See also Bill Laimbeer, Kevin McHale, etc etc.)

    Thug, Hip-Hop, rapper , ink poster basketball is unappealing to my taste as well. Lebron, Draymon, Birdman Anderson of this era and Artest, Rodman, Iverson of the past. Once the NBA waived the need for draftees to have 4 years of college enrollment, it wasn't long before rap sheets replaced stat sheets.
  • 05-16-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Thug, Hip-Hop, rapper , ink poster basketball is unappealing to my taste as well. Lebron, Draymon, Birdman Anderson of this era and Artest, Rodman, Iverson of the past. Once the NBA waived the need for draftees to have 4 years of college enrollment, it wasn't long before rap sheets replaced stat sheets.

    You have me very confused. I don't like Draymond for what he does on the court. And for his association with a university I grew up hating.

    I don't buy into this "thug" thing about the NBA if having tattoos and listening to hip hop is thuggish then you are communicating with a thug over the internet right now.
  • 05-16-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    You have me very confused. I don't like Draymond for what he does on the court. And for his association with a university I grew up hating.

    I don't buy into this "thug" thing about the NBA if having tattoos and listening to hip hop is thuggish then you are communicating with a thug over the internet right now.

    Agree the thuggish court conduct trumps the image.
  • 05-16-2019
    nayr497
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I understand that when panties get in a bunch they get pretty uncomfortable and then it has to be taken out on someone, even if the reason those panties got so wadded up to begin with had everything to do with the wearer of said panties.

    Interesting comment. So you're resorting to a sexist comment because I don't like some gimmicky professional sport that you like? How novel!

    Resorting to insulting my imagined sexuality and preferences to defend a bunch of strangers dribbling a round ball to entertain you? Yep, I must be a crossdressing, panty-wearing p*ssy because I don't like the NBA. I love your reasoning there. I actually just hope you can re-read your comment and realize you're being a judmental moron. How strong is the NBA poison if you're willing to go online and call some stranger a panty wearing p*ssy to make you feel better about how much you love the product? Because we all know the attack you just made is all about calling me a weak, feminine person who can't deal with the Real World.

    Yep, I don't like the NBA. So I must wear womens underwear. Makes total sense.

    Thank you. Thank you for exposing yourself as who you truly are.
  • 05-16-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Interesting comment. So you're resorting to a sexist comment because I don't like some gimmicky professional sport that you like? How novel!

    Resorting to insulting my imagined sexuality and preferences to defend a bunch of strangers dribbling a round ball to entertain you? Yep, I must be a crossdressing, panty-wearing p*ssy because I don't like the NBA. I love your reasoning there. I actually just hope you can re-read your comment and realize you're being a judmental moron. How strong is the NBA poison if you're willing to go online and call some stranger a panty wearing p*ssy to make you feel better about how much you love the product? Because we all know the attack you just made is all about calling me a weak, feminine person who can't deal with the Real World.

    Yep, I don't like the NBA. So I must wear womens underwear. Makes total sense.

    Thank you. Thank you for exposing yourself as who you truly are.

    "Lighten up Francis."
  • 05-16-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    "Lighten up Francis."

    Questions to be answered b4 my death:

    Who is Francis and how much does he/she/it really weigh?

    Why does everyone have to fire at Will? What the hell did Will do??!!!

    Who in the hell is "the pill" meant for?? I mean, that thing is HUGE!!!
  • 05-16-2019
    nayr497
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    "Lighten up Francis."

    Don't play off your BS and out of line comment with a movie quote, okay. You don't get to play forum cop telling people they're not allowed to make certain comments in certain threads then resort to telling me I'm the one who needs to lighten up. You're the one trying to tell me I can't offer an opinion. And that I can't comment on how some stranger isn't a very good athlete. And you were here to police me. And now I'm the one who needs to lighten up?

    Again. You're confused. If you hadn't taken my opinion so personally, you wouldn't have had to resort to BS comments about panties, which was bizarre and juvenile. But yes, I need to lighten up. Not you. Not the guy defending some crappy money making excuse for basketball.

    Feel free to admit you shouldn't be making crass accusations about underwear and femininity and toughness against a stranger so that you can defend the sanctity of the NBA. Don't try and play cute now. I stated I don't like NBA basketball. You resorted to really, really old nonsense about women, underwear, and perceptions of toughness.

    I'm not about to let you throw out some joke from a movie and act as if you didn't do something wrong and stupid. Don't try and act as if I'm the one out of line here. You wrote all that garbage that is pure insinuation and pure nonsense. You're the one trotting out the anyone with a p*ssy is weak and easily offended argument. YOU typed that garbage.

    Don't tell me to lighten up when you so casually resorted to seriously narrow-minded accusations. Because I don't like the NBA. But I'm being uptight. Sure.
  • 05-16-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Don't play off your BS and out of line comment with a movie quote, okay. You don't get to play forum cop telling people they're not allowed to make certain comments in certain threads then resort to telling me I'm the one who needs to lighten up. You're the one trying to tell me I can't offer an opinion. And that I can't comment on how some stranger isn't a very good athlete. And you were here to police me. And now I'm the one who needs to lighten up?

    Again. You're confused. If you hadn't taken my opinion so personally, you wouldn't have had to resort to BS comments about panties, which was bizarre and juvenile. But yes, I need to lighten up. Not you. Not the guy defending some crappy money making excuse for basketball.

    Feel free to admit you shouldn't be making crass accusations about underwear and femininity and toughness against a stranger so that you can defend the sanctity of the NBA. Don't try and play cute now. I stated I don't like NBA basketball. You resorted to really, really old nonsense about women, underwear, and perceptions of toughness.

    I'm not about to let you throw out some joke from a movie and act as if you didn't do something wrong and stupid. Don't try and act as if I'm the one out of line here. You wrote all that garbage that is pure insinuation and pure nonsense. You're the one trotting out the anyone with a p*ssy is weak and easily offended argument. YOU typed that garbage.

    Don't tell me to lighten up when you so casually resorted to seriously narrow-minded accusations. Because I don't like the NBA. But I'm being uptight. Sure.

    So your answer is no, you are not going to lighten up.

    You could have said that in fewer words.
  • 05-16-2019
    SystemShock
    Sigh. :rolleyes:
    .
  • 05-17-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Maybe it's a sort of cool, aloof, effortless-looking superiority in GS's play that's annoying. The Warriors do, at times, look like they're playing a game that they have totally figured out, or even another game entirely from the rest of the league. And it's due to their system and synergy, not the superhero efforts of one transcendent player, as was the case with Jordan and the Bulls (though actually, there was a system there too... triangle offense, and good team defense).
    .

    Gush some more, Homer Fanboi. :)

    I agree with you that when GS plays at their peak, they are on another level. But I also think that if Jordan had not taken a break (and kept making the finals) Chicago would have suffered more hate as well. Tearing down winners is a bandwagon second only to gushing over winners.

    BTW, re: Chicago. How many HOFers did they have?
  • 05-17-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Gush some more, Homer Fanboi. :)

    I agree with you that when GS plays at their peak, they are on another level. But I also think that if Jordan had not taken a break (and kept making the finals) Chicago would have suffered more hate as well. Tearing down winners is a bandwagon second only to gushing over winners.

    BTW, re: Chicago. How many HOFers did they have?

    Exactly everyone forgets that during their second three peat a FIBA hall of famer won the SIXTH man award that year Toni Kukoc. Those teams were stacked with perhaps the best pure rebounder of all time and two top 50 talents of all time. Not exactly little sisters of the poor and guys like Paxton and Kerr would be a lot more valuable in today's NBA of spread the ball kick it out to a dead nuts shooter for a three.

    //Pistons fan, so this hurts.
  • 05-17-2019
    nayr497
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    So your answer is no, you are not going to lighten up.

    You could have said that in fewer words.

    Still missing the point? I don't like the NBA. YOU saw this as such a perceived slight you waded into bizarre, offensive territory. And I'm the one who needs to lighten up? Sure. Thank GOD you are here to defend all these 7' 300 pound men. Where would they be without you?

    Again, don't act like you didn't type some completely unacceptable nonsense about a stranger because you like the NBA so much. You are in the wrong here, dude. So once again, STOP playing cute and acting as if you aren't a total jerk.

    Admit you made sexist comments in order to defend the NBA in a cycling forum. And that this makes you a total clown. And someone with some deeper issues. Then I'll "lighten up", alright.

    It doesn't really matter. Your words are there to demonstrate to everyone that you have some problems of your own to work through. If you want to keep on trying to portray me as a panty wearing weakingly because I don't like the NBA, I'm happy to keep on pointing out that your behavior and attacks are purely unacceptable. But keep it up, keep on deflecting that you made such an attack on a stranger with a different opinion.
  • 05-17-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Still missing the point? I don't like the NBA.

    Wow! Thanks for that, because I COMPLETELY missed it in your other posts!

    :rolleyes:
  • 05-17-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Still missing the point? I don't like the NBA. YOU saw this as such a perceived slight you waded into bizarre, offensive territory. And I'm the one who needs to lighten up? Sure. Thank GOD you are here to defend all these 7' 300 pound men. Where would they be without you?

    Again, don't act like you didn't type some completely unacceptable nonsense about a stranger because you like the NBA so much. You are in the wrong here, dude. So once again, STOP playing cute and acting as if you aren't a total jerk.

    Admit you made sexist comments in order to defend the NBA in a cycling forum. And that this makes you a total clown. And someone with some deeper issues. Then I'll "lighten up", alright.

    It doesn't really matter. Your words are there to demonstrate to everyone that you have some problems of your own to work through. If you want to keep on trying to portray me as a panty wearing weakingly because I don't like the NBA, I'm happy to keep on pointing out that your behavior and attacks are purely unacceptable. But keep it up, keep on deflecting that you made such an attack on a stranger with a different opinion.

    Show us on the doll where the NBA player touched you.

    Dude no one said you couldn't post about your NBA dread, but many have asked why you decided to shiat all over one, your fixation with me and my posts not to mention the personal attacks are off kilter for a friendly thread about the NBA playoffs.
  • 05-17-2019
    thatsmybush
    In other news, Portland had their shot last night, especially coming on the heels that Durant's injury is worse than initially thought.

    17 point lead, then an 8 point lead late.
  • 05-17-2019
    nayr497
    Friendly thread? When you trot out BS about wearing panties? And the doll BS? Jeez. Can't you not make this about genitals and rape?

    Once again, just admit you are being a total schmuck because someone doesn't like the NBA. But, I don't think you're capable of this. Not if you toss out the panties in a bunch garbage, and now the child molestation reference. So STOP acting like I'm the one in the wrong here.

    He doesn't like the NBA and I'm offended in "my" thread. So I'm going to joke about raping children. So funny. I don't have a fixation with you. I want you to admit you're a weirdo for being so defensive about the NBA fandom that you bring up jokes about rape and panties.
  • 05-17-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Friendly thread? When you trot out BS about wearing panties? And the doll BS? Jeez. Can't you not make this about genitals and rape?

    Once again, just admit you are being a total schmuck because someone doesn't like the NBA. But, I don't think you're capable of this. Not if you toss out the panties in a bunch garbage, and now the child molestation reference. So STOP acting like I'm the one in the wrong here.

    He doesn't like the NBA and I'm offended in "my" thread. So I'm going to joke about raping children. So funny. I don't have a fixation with you. I want you to admit you're a weirdo for being so defensive about the NBA fandom that you bring up jokes about rape and panties.

    You have jumped over the cliff.

    I would like to continue playing but I am off to the SOBE for the weekend, I'll tip a margarita for you.

    Have a nice day.
  • 05-17-2019
    nayr497
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Show us on the doll where the NBA player touched you.

    Dude no one said you couldn't post about your NBA dread, but many have asked why you decided to shiat all over one, your fixation with me and my posts not to mention the personal attacks are off kilter for a friendly thread about the NBA playoffs.

    Okay, so...criticizing the NBA is horrible.

    But...jokes about molesting children...that is cool? Makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. Once again, thank you for demonstrating that you have some serious problems. I don't give a flying F about your love of the NBA, but I do think it's really, really troubling that you joke about children being raped. Which is what you just did.

    Good work, dude. Again, attack me all you want, but you've now made a joke about women being susceptibly weak and about raping children. How noble.
  • 05-17-2019
    nayr497
    Again, stop playing the higher ground card. You just made a joke about raping children.

    I'm off a cliff?

    I don't like the NBA.
    You: Oh, ha ha. You must have been raped as a child.

    Yes, this is funny. And totally not overreacting.
  • 05-17-2019
    taodemon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    A friend just sent me a clip of the highlights of the Raptors vs. 76ers game. That is what passes for the NBA today? What a joke. ZERO defense. It's like casual pick-up and it's the playoffs!

    I'm confused who actually watches this garbage. What a sorry excuse for the best basketball around. Just a bunch of driving and jacking up 3s with zero defense. No thanks.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Who is #21 on the 76ers?! That is the worst athlete I've ever seen. The guy can barely run. He's like a newborn deer. What is going on? He alone makes me never want to watch the NBA. Least agile person ever to get paid to play. The way that dude moves is comical.

    Doesn't like the NBA but has enough time to whine about it in a thread about the playoffs, and single out specific players he doesn't even know to complain about their athletecism, then doesn't understand why he is being called out for asshattery.

    I don't like gravel bikes or time trial bikes or golf but you won't find me wasting my time calling them garbage and whining about them in threads/forums about them.

    That said hard for anyone 7ft tall to look athletic when they move even when they are. It's like watching a C5 fly, just doesn't look natural or right. That said I have never watched Embiid play to comment on his particular play.

    Hoping the Bucks win as I'm tired of GS and I rarely watch any NBA other than the occasional playoff game plus the greek freak is fun to watch.
  • 05-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Doesn't like the NBA but has enough time to whine about it in a thread about the playoffs, and single out specific players he doesn't even know to complain about their athletecism, then doesn't understand why he is being called out for asshattery.

    I don't like gravel bikes or time trial bikes or golf but you won't find me wasting my time calling them garbage and whining about them in threads/forums about them.

    Agreed. Do not understand the apparent thrill that the immature get from intentional trolling, or the abject lack-of-awareness that the clueless possess while unintentionally trolling.

    At this point, given his behavior, I think everyone should just ignore him, except to mark his posts for moderation, since he obviously isn't going to do anything except fling more monkey-poop around. :frown2:


    Quote:

    Hoping the Bucks win as I'm tired of GS and I rarely watch any NBA other than the occasional playoff game plus the greek freak is fun to watch.
    Given what they did to a very good Raptors team today (i.e. destroyed them, to go up 2-0 in their series), seems like the Bucks are a near-lock to go to the Finals.

    Don't know if they can take out GS. Quite a bit depends on when/if Durant and Cousins return (and if they're close to 100%), but even without 'em, GS would still have at least even odds. And a lot more Finals experience.

    Do think the Bucks are future champs, though... it's just a matter of time, if they can keep their team together.
    .
  • 05-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Gush some more, Homer Fanboi. :)

    It's not gushing if it's true. :D


    Quote:

    BTW, re: Chicago. How many HOFers did they have?
    For their first three-peat, two... Jordan and Pippen. For their second three-peat, they had three, as Rodman came on board.

    But, c'mon... Jordan considerably outshone his fellow HOFs, even as good as they were. It's not being dismissive of Pippen and Rodman to say that. It's just that Jordan was that incredible, probably the best player to ever play the game (LeBron fans, plug your ears).
    .
  • 05-18-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Do think the Bucks are future champs, though... it's just a matter of time, if they can keep their team together.

    As much as I customarily pull for underdogs, maturity leads me to believe that professional sports and keeping players with teams in a small market is almost an oxymoron. Kareem from Milwaukee to LA; O'Neil from Orlando to LA; KD from OKC to Frisco; James Hardin OKC to Houston; Kevin Garrett Timberwolves to Boston; Kawhi Leonard Toronto to ?.
  • 05-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    As much as I customarily pull for underdogs, maturity leads me to believe that professional sports and keeping players with teams in a small market is almost an oxymoron. Kareem from Milwaukee to LA; O'Neil from Orlando to LA; KD from OKC to Frisco; James Hardin OKC to Houston; Kevin Garrett Timberwolves to Boston; Kawhi Leonard Toronto to ?.

    And that indeed is the rub... though it should be noted that Toronto is actually a very large city of 2.7 million ppl, and would be roughly tied with Chicago for the 3rd largest city in the US were it an American city.
    .
  • 05-18-2019
    xxl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    ...It's just that Jordan was that incredible, probably the best player to ever play the game (LeBron fans, plug your ears).
    .

    Oscar Robertson on line two...

    https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...iginal.jpg&f=1
  • 05-18-2019
    troutmd
  • 05-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xxl View Post


    Well, now we know why Oscar scored on such a high percentage of his drives... no one wanted to get tea-bagged.
    .
  • 05-18-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Well, now we know why Oscar scored on such a high percentage of his drives... no one wanted to get tea-bagged.
    .

    yep, today, players are much more ball friendly.

    https://cdn.bleacherreport.net/image...jpg?1297265022
  • 05-18-2019
    chuckice
    [IMG]https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/02/56/56/17492884/3/480x480.jpg
    [/IMG]
  • 05-18-2019
    Akirasho
  • 05-19-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:
    That is an impressive website, for depth of information.

    I like to go with Bill Russell in such discussions. A case can be made, and very few of the Jordan/James/Abdul-Jabbar people are ready for it.
  • 05-19-2019
    xxl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    That is an impressive website, for depth of information.

    I like to go with Bill Russell in such discussions. A case can be made, and very few of the Jordan/James/Abdul-Jabbar people are ready for it.

    I liked all the video clips. And I'll wager there are very few sports columns, even in the "databall" era, that get a chance to trot out the dangers of multicollinearity in judging players.

    But help me out here: I'm still not sure what "WOWY" is an acronym for (I really suck an vanity plates, texting acronyms, anagrams, and Wheel of Fortune, too), but I know Oscar had a shitload of it:

    Edit: I pursued some more links, and (eventually) figured out WOWY means "Without, With You." :blush2: I also found this comment re the Big O:

    "While Oscar is largely revered, most people don’t know that his impact was quantifiably enormous, dragging an otherwise inept team in Cincinnati to respectability, then later catapulting Kareem’s Bucks into the upper stratosphere."

    http://www.backpicks.com/wp-content/...All-Time-1.png
  • 05-19-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xxl View Post

    But help me out here: I'm still not sure what "WOWY" is an acronym for (I really suck an vanity plates, texting acronyms, anagrams, and Wheel of Fortune, too), but I know Oscar had a shitload of it:

    Edit: I pursued some more links, and (eventually) figured out WOWY means "Without, With You."

    Yes, and it seems to be about game level data, which makes it useful for estimating impact with older data.

    Boiled down from my quick skim: WOWYR is a weighted least squares regression model, and it's a measure of how much the player impacts the team performance in games (+/- points) controlling for lineups. Captures offense and defense, so an overall effect.

    I am not going to read what all the terms are and their assumptions, much less try to decide if it is close to the BLUE.
  • 05-19-2019
    SystemShock
    Staring to actually feel bad for Portland... yet another big halftime lead, yet another huge Warriors comeback in the 3rd quarter. Blame Steph, the bench(!), and Draymond Green and his triple-double. :eek:

    GS's up 3-0, only real question now is whether it'll be a true sweep or a "gentleman's sweep", aka done in five games.

    But props to Portland, a lot of ppl had zero expectations for them this year after seeing them get swept out of the playoffs in the first round the past two years. Yet they got all the way to the WC Finals, even with their starting center/third-option out with a broken leg... resilience.

    They've got a lot of good things going on in terms of their backcourt, certain bench players (Curry, Hood), and their overall fighting spirit, just not sure how they'll be able to get over the hump and be able to take out GS or the Rockets when push comes to shove, that's all.

    Also have to wonder if a Denver-GS series would've been better, in terms of Denver matching up a bit better vs the Warriors' personnel. GS has too many guys who can guard perimeter-shooters well (sorry Portland).
    .
  • 05-19-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Staring to actually feel bad for Portland... yet another big halftime lead, yet another huge Warriors comeback in the 3rd quarter. Blame Steph, the bench(!), and Draymond Green and his triple-double. :eek:

    GS's up 3-0, only real question now is whether it'll be a true sweep or a "gentleman's sweep", aka done in five games.

    But props to Portland, a lot of ppl had zero expectations for them this year after seeing them get swept out of the playoffs in the first round the past two years. Yet they got all the way to the WC Finals, even with their starting center/third-option out with a broken leg... resilience.

    They've got a lot of good things going on in terms of their backcourt, certain bench players (Curry, Hood), and their overall fighting spirit, just not sure how they'll be able to get over the hump and be able to take out GS or the Rockets when push comes to shove, that's all.

    Also have to wonder if a Denver-GS series would've been better, in terms of Denver matching up a bit better vs the Warriors' personnel. GS has too many guys who can guard perimeter-shooters well (sorry Portland).
    .

    I feel the same. Love watching them play when they're on. They play with class and no bs contact whining like harden. I can barely watch any game with the Rockets because Harden is such a mockery to the game.
  • 05-20-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I feel the same. Love watching them play when they're on. They play with class and no bs contact whining like Harden. I can barely watch any game with the Rockets because Harden is such a mockery to the game.

    Yeah, I hate Harden's overt 'foul-hunting' too. Throw up a three, and then kick out a leg or jump into the defender for the foul. It really is total bs.

    But analytically, you can understand why he does it. Harden's an 85% free throw shooter, and if you get fouled on a three, you get three free throws. So, for every time he can get some dumb ref to bite and call the 'foul', he gets about 2.5 points out of it, on average. It's way better than even a wide-open three for him, since he obviously can't shoot those at an 85 percent clip (no one can).

    Other than refs not being dumb, the only solution I can think of is for them to call an offensive foul in that situation. And why not? If you drive to the basket and run over someone outside of the restricted area, that's charging, aka an offensive foul. Why should a jump shot be any different, if the shooter's very obviously initiating contact?

    To be fair to Harden, the rest of the league does a less obvious/obnoxious version of this, where you pump fake the defender into the air, and then jump into him while tossing up a shot (that you don't expect to go in). But that at least takes some tiny iota of skill, and I wouldn't mind if that got called an o-foul too.
    .
  • 05-20-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Yeah, I hate Harden's overt 'foul-hunting' too. Throw up a three, and then kick out a leg or jump into the defender for the foul. It really is total bs.

    But analytically, you can understand why he does it. Harden's an 85% free throw shooter, and if you get fouled on a three, you get three free throws. So, for every time he can get some dumb ref to bite and call the 'foul', he gets about 2.5 points out of it, on average. It's way better than even a wide-open three for him, since he obviously can't shoot those at an 85 percent clip (no one can).

    Other than refs not being dumb, the only solution I can think of is for them to call an offensive foul in that situation. And why not? If you drive to the basket and run over someone outside of the restricted area, that's charging, aka an offensive foul. Why should a jump shot be any different, if the shooter's very obviously initiating contact?

    To be fair to Harden, the rest of the league does a less obvious/obnoxious version of this, where you pump fake the defender into the air, and then jump into him while tossing up a shot (that you don't expect to go in). But that at least takes some tiny iota of skill, and I wouldn't mind if that got called an o-foul too.
    .

    I bet if you scoring adjust the league to remove free throw points that harden isn't top 10 in scoring. That's all I need to know. He seeks & sells contact which is a joke. There is nothing to respect about that game.
  • 05-21-2019
    SystemShock
    And... Portland got swept, 4-0.

    But it was actually a hard-fought series even so. GS was behind by as many as 17, 18, and 17 points in Games 2, 3, and 4, respectively. But fought back every time for the come-from-behind win. Which automatically brings up the expected "Heart of a CHAMPION!" shouts from all of the sports commentators.

    But which makes me wonder, "How come they played so poorly in the first half of all those games to fall behind 17-18 points consistently to begin with?" Why is no one focusing on that?

    IOW, maybe Milwaukee or Toronto in the Finals will be a tougher test than many are anticipating... unless Durant and/or Cousins do in fact get healthy in time.
    .
  • 05-21-2019
    troutmd
    Frisco in Four

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CtGxusvUT3k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 05-24-2019
    SystemShock
    Wow, what's going on in the East?? The Conference Finals have actually turned into a series, with the Raptors winning three straight to take a 3-2 lead!!!

    Is Canada actually on the verge of sending a team to the NBA Finals for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. ??

    It may be a Sign of the Apocalypse™. Just sayin'. :eek:

    Oh, and Kawhi Leonard is a basketball-playing cyborg. That is all.
    .
  • 05-24-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Wow, what's going on in the East?? The Conference Finals have actually turned into a series, with the Raptors winning three straight to take a 3-2 lead!!!

    Is Canada actually on the verge of sending a team to the NBA Finals for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. ??

    It may be a Sign of the Apocalypse™. Just sayin'. :eek:

    Oh, and Kawhi Leonard is a basketball-playing cyborg. That is all.
    .

    I was pretty damned shocked that Milwaukee lost at home after dropping two straight at Toronto, thought they would right the ship and take it in six. Now all bets are off. Kawhi still has that champion mentality that you have to learn, he has an edge for sure.
  • 05-24-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Wow, what's going on in the East?? The Conference Finals have actually turned into a series, with the Raptors winning three straight to take a 3-2 lead!!!

    Is Canada actually on the verge of sending a team to the NBA Finals for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. ??

    It may be a Sign of the Apocalypse™. Just sayin'. :eek:

    Oh, and Kawhi Leonard is a basketball-playing cyborg. That is all.
    .

    Raptor defense has captured the series momentum from a young Bucks team.
  • 05-26-2019
    troutmd
    What a series for LA Kawhi. Alas, Frisco has too many horses for Toronto.

    PS - Bucks did what most young teams do on the first playoff run --- get taken down by a tougher team.