Printable View

• 05-27-2019
    SystemShock
    RAPTORS WIN!! THEY'RE IN THE FINALS!!! :eek:

And Canada's all like...

https://tinyurl.com/y5cwwhjk
  • 05-27-2019
    SystemShock
    Nickname for this upcoming NBA Finals... 'Golden State vs Frozen State'. :lol:
  • 05-27-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I was pretty damned shocked that Milwaukee lost at home after dropping two straight at Toronto, thought they would right the ship and take it in six.

Watched some, not all of the series.

From what I saw, Toronto was looking to strip the ball whenever it was brought to chest height or lower. Which Giannis does a lot, and that was a great plan against him. They were also doing it to others as well. Swarm and strip on any drives. As opposed to trying to block/hand in the face or take a charge.

Giannis needs to develop a 15' shot. Or a 10' hook or something. He was exposed in the half court game pretty badly.
  • 05-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Watched some, not all of the series.

From what I saw, Toronto was looking to strip the ball whenever it was brought to chest height or lower. Which Giannis does a lot, and that was a great plan against him. They were also doing it to others as well. Swarm and strip on any drives. As opposed to trying to block/hand in the face or take a charge.

Giannis needs to develop a 15' shot. Or a 10' hook or something. He was exposed in the half court game pretty badly.

Good observations. We'll make an NBA semi-fan outta you yet, Q. :)

On top of the swarm-and-strip tactics, the Raptors got quite good at 'building a wall' in the paint with multiple guys to stop Giannis' drives.

Giannis is almost unstoppable once he gets going downhill, but on the flip side, he seems a bit confused/tentative when he is denied his usual opportunities to fly to the rim.

Not only that, but Toronto also was pretty good at keeping the Bucks out of transition (where Giannis REALLY gets a chance to get up a head of steam).

The 'wall in the paint' tactic confused me at first, 'cuz I was like, "If Toronto has multiple guys sagging into the paint, won't Giannis just kick it out to Milwaukee's three-point shooters, who are pretty good?". Short answer: They weren't good in this series, averaging only 31% beyond the arc. And Toronto I guess picked up on that after game 2.

On top of that, (Raptor's coach) Nick Nurse put Kawhi on Giannis, and Kawhi is probably the best individual defender on planet Earth. Even he can't stop him, but he can make him work very hard for everything.

So Nurse pretty much did everything right after the first two games. What was really shocking was how Buck's coach Budenholzer seemed to utterly FAIL to make any meaningful adjustments in response. He seemed to believe that the Buck's offensive system was going to prevail no matter what. Well, nope. Wow. :blush2:

Kawhi was spectacular, as was Lowry, and many Raptor role players stepped up, but the 'hidden MVP' really was Nick Nurse... and in his first year as an NBA head coach even. Guess he earned the sideline shoulder rubs he got from Drake (yes, Drake really did that). :lol:
  • 05-28-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Good observations. We'll make an NBA semi-fan outta you yet, Q. :)

On top of the swarm-and-strip tactics, the Raptors got quite good at 'building a wall' in the paint with multiple guys to stop Giannis' drives.

Giannis is almost unstoppable once he gets going downhill, but on the flip side, he seems a bit confused/tentative when he is denied his usual opportunities to fly to the rim.

Not only that, but Toronto also was pretty good at keeping the Bucks out of transition (where Giannis REALLY gets a chance to get up a head of steam).

The 'wall in the paint' tactic confused me at first, 'cuz I was like, "If Toronto has multiple guys sagging into the paint, won't Giannis just kick it out to Milwaukee's three-point shooters, who are pretty good?". Short answer: They weren't good in this series, averaging only 31% beyond the arc. And Toronto I guess picked up on that after game 2.

On top of that, (Raptor's coach) Nick Nurse put Kawhi on Giannis, and Kawhi is probably the best individual defender on planet Earth. Even he can't stop him, but he can make him work very hard for everything.

So Nurse pretty much did everything right after the first two games. What was really shocking was how Buck's coach Budenholzer seemed to utterly FAIL to make any meaningful adjustments in response. He seemed to believe that the Buck's offensive system was going to prevail no matter what. Well, nope. Wow. :blush2:

Kawhi was spectacular, as was Lowry, and many Raptor role players stepped up, but the 'hidden MVP' really was Nick Nurse... and in his first year as an NBA head coach even. Guess he earned the sideline shoulder rubs he got from Drake (yes, Drake really did that). :lol:

If Nurse is the MVP (and I would NOT disagree) the burn on this series has to go to Bucks coach Budenholzer who after seeing what was essentially a 3/2 zone whenever Giannis got the ball over half court in game three failed to find a way to move past that. For games 3-6 it was just a rehash of the same Giannis go be a bull rather than using Bledsoe, spread the floor and Giannis on the move. It became a ugle version of the worst of James Harden out there.
  • 05-28-2019
    troutmd
    Toronto could be an interesting finals opponent for GS.

* Home court advantage.
    * Swept two season meetings (albeit early in the season)
    * KD out for at least the first game.
    * Kawhi at pinnacle of his game and Free Agent Poster Boy hungry to build his resume.
    * Capable, quick small guards to pickup Curry at half court and hope its a long series - Curry has a history of getting exhausted into making late ball handling errors as a series progresses.
    * NBA's highlights always focus on offense, but defense will play a big role in this series. As Raptor's have shown in this playoffs, their half-court defense is superb and tested.
    * Good to have finals finally without Lebron and bully-ball.
  • 05-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by troutmd View Post

* Home court advantage.
    * Kawhi at pinnacle of his game and Free Agent Poster Boy hungry to build his resume.
    * Capable, quick small guards to pickup Curry at half court and hope its a long series - Curry has a history of getting exhausted into making late ball handling errors as a series progresses.
    * NBA's highlights always focus on offense, but defense will play a big role in this series. As Raptor's have shown in this playoffs, their half-court defense is superb and tested.

Agreed... I think it'll be a tougher series for the Warriors than many expect, whether or not Durant plays.

But, what do I know, I also thought the Bucks would take the Raptors. Didn't foresee Milwaukee getting so thoroughly out-coached/out-schemed in the series.
  • 05-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Bit of cockiness may be setting in...

https://tinyurl.com/y3mlvfdx
  • 05-28-2019
    troutmd
    Relax --- Drake will eliminate any GS complacency.
  • 05-29-2019
    SystemShock
  • 05-29-2019
    davelikestoplay
    How about those raptors? Probably a bridge too far to beat the dynastic warriors, but its been a fun ride
  • 05-30-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davelikestoplay View Post
    How about those raptors? Probably a bridge too far to beat the dynastic warriors, but its been a fun ride

home court?

• 06-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Props to the Raptors... their defense was totally on-point in Game 1, and really frustrated the Warriors (though Curry still had a good game). Siakam, Gasol, Danny Green, and Van Vleet were all magnificent. And while Lowry didn't have a good shooting game he did dish out nine assists and did his thing on D, taking multiple charges (and sent Draymond to the bench with one too many fouls).

IOW, Toronto's role players and secondary stars really stepped up. Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto is the best and most-disciplined team GS has faced in this year's playoffs. Sorry Houston.

And yes, GS does need Durant back for this series. They're more fun to watch without Durant's ball-dominant iso ways, but their ceiling is higher with KD in the mix. And, they really need three absolutely knock-down shooters on the floor to pick apart the Raptors' stout defense.

This is gonna be a good series, I think. :)
  • 06-01-2019
    SystemShock
    As you might expect, Toronto (and much of Canada) is going completely nuts for their team in big and yet still Canadian-style ways (i.e. they're nice). :)

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5...-kawhi-leonard

https://tinyurl.com/yyd4v4os
  • 06-01-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

Props to the Raptors... their defense was totally on-point in Game 1, and really frustrated the Warriors (though Curry still had a good game). Siakam, Gasol, Danny Green, and Van Vleet were all magnificent. And while Lowry didn't have a good shooting game he did dish out nine assists and did his thing on D, taking multiple charges (and sent Draymond to the bench with one too many fouls).

IOW, Toronto's role players and secondary stars really stepped up. Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto is the best and most-disciplined team GS has faced in this year's playoffs. Sorry Houston.

And yes, GS does need Durant back for this series. They're more fun to watch without Durant's ball-dominant iso ways, but their ceiling is higher with KD in the mix. And, they really need three absolutely knock-down shooters on the floor to pick apart the Raptors' stout defense.

This is gonna be a good series, I think. :)

GS long layoff waiting for the Finals to start not helpful, but nevertheless KD needed back to win series. Game Two will be telling.
  • 06-01-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

... Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

GS game plan was to take Kawhi out of the game. Which they did. And where GS missed Durant the most was on the D end, given his 7' 5" wingspan.

Oh, and Cousins is not ready to play, at all.

GS had a long layoff. So we'll see what happens in game 2 with their play and plan, but my guess is that Siakam won't be shooting over 80%.
  • 06-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    GS game plan was to take Kawhi out of the game. Which they did. And where GS missed Durant the most was on the D end, given his 7' 5" wingspan.

True, they did double and trap Kawhi quite a bit. Which freed up the other Raptors for more open looks on shots, and easier lanes to the basket.

That said, while KD on defense would be a big help, GS also needs him on offense. The Raptors were helping off of GS's non-shooters... Looney, Green, Iguodala, etc. They didn't really care if those guys got open 3s or even midrange jumpers. They just have to stop them on lobs and layups for the most part, which means Toronto is free to clog the paint and/or double up on either Steph or Klay.

Quote:

Oh, and Cousins is not ready to play, at all.
    It's hard to know how big his role can be in this series, even if healthy. He doesn't have good enough lateral movement (even when 100%) to defend all five positions, which you need to be able to do in the Warriors' 'switch everything' defense. Kerr might've limited his playing time for that reason.

BUT, DeMarcus is a big who can shoot the 3 (not so much in his abbreviated season this year, but in the 3 seasons prior, he was 35-37% at it), bull his way to the basket, and pass/distribute the ball well. But it appears he's just going to be there to soak up a few minutes per game at the 5 while GS's more defensively-capable 'small ball 5s' like Green and Looney get their brief rests.

Quote:

GS had a long layoff. So we'll see what happens in game 2 with their play and plan, but my guess is that Siakam won't be shooting over 80%.
    I don't really know if Siakam was so hot in Game 1 because he really was so hot, or because GS played too far off him so they could concentrate on/double Kawhi, or both.

But yeah, I concur, it would be really surprising if he had a Game 2 like his Game 1.
  • 06-05-2019
    SystemShock
    Game 3 tonight. Game 2 was incredible. To re-cap, the Warriors won despite the following:

No Kevin Durant (still).
    Curry playing while ill.
    Looney going out in the second period w/a broken collarbone (done for the series).
    Iggy playing hurt (calf strain).
    Klay going out early the fourth with a pulled hamstring.
    DeMarcus Cousins playing big minutes (due to all the injuries), despite coming back from an quad tear and still having sub-par conditioning.

I mean, what else can happen? A light from the rafters falls and takes out Steve Kerr? :eek:

Yet they still won. And with an 18-0 run to start the third, no less. Damb.

Props to the collective effort, everyone stepped up. GS proves once again that its bench is actually pretty darn good, despite the persistent naysaying.

And Cousins... wow. 11 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, two blocks, in 27 minutes. And while not being a big defensive liability as feared, due to sagging back to the paint (while Toronto obliged by missing a lot of open shots), and getting plenty of timely weakside help from the likes of Green and Iggy. With Looney likely lost for the series, he's going to be key going forward.

But, Game 3? Sigh. Durant reportedly will still be out, and Klay is looking doubtful for it. Without them, the Warriors won't have enough shooting to keep Toronto honest, unless someone like Quinn Cook has a big game from beyond the arc, or maybe Cousins (he can shoot some when asked).

But thing is, no Klay also means that GS loses one of their best perimeter defenders, and I also don't expect the Raptors 'other guys' to shoot as badly as they did on Sunday. You can see a 'Raptor-lanche' coming, potentially.

So, would expect Toronto to take this one vs 'the Warriors Infirmary/M*A*S*H unit', as they're starting to be called. But who knows, maybe GS will pull another, even more incredible performance out of their hat. This is why you go and play the games anyway.
  • 06-05-2019
    SystemShock
    Some fun pics (first one's Drake). Don't ask me about the one where Curry's riding an electric-eyes raptor while wearing a chef's hat and wielding a spatula, have no idea what that's about. :skep:

https://tinyurl.com/y4a9v7mm

https://tinyurl.com/yyodd6b5

https://tinyurl.com/y3zlutqa

https://tinyurl.com/y3dfq3dx

https://tinyurl.com/y4awtych
  • 06-10-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

But, Game 3? Sigh. Durant reportedly will still be out, and Klay is looking doubtful for it. Without them, the Warriors won't have enough shooting to keep Toronto honest, unless someone like Quinn Cook has a big game from beyond the arc, or maybe Cousins (he can shoot some when asked).

But thing is, no Klay also means that GS loses one of their best perimeter defenders, and I also don't expect the Raptors 'other guys' to shoot as badly as they did on Sunday. You can see a 'Raptor-lanche' coming, potentially.

So, would expect Toronto to take this one vs 'the Warriors Infirmary/M*A*S*H unit', as they're starting to be called. But who knows, maybe GS will pull another, even more incredible performance out of their hat. This is why you go and play the games anyway.

Well, Game 3 went as expected, a Toronto win vs a very depleted (no Klay, no KD, no Looney) and banged-up Warriors squad. Curry scored 47 points (!)... and it didn't matter, as the Raptors played an efficient game, and no one else on GS stepped up at all beyond Draymond (17p/7r/4a).

But then Game 4 happened... aka the Raptors turned the screws on GS. :eek:

Game 4 is the one that hurt. Klay came back and played, as did (very surprisingly) Looney, broken collarbone and all. And GS was on their home floor. The 'heart of a champion' story was right there, all ready to come true.

But, it didn't. Turns out Curry was a bit rubber-legged after logging 43 tough minutes and putting the team on his back just two days prior. Klay and Dray played well, but with no one else coming through in a big way (a la Cousins' Game 2 performance), it wasn't enough.

Worst of all, GS's defensive intensity wasn't there late in the game when Toronto went on an epic run late in the third to seize control... and really, sans KD, GS's road to victory is paved on that very defensive intensity.

So here we are, Golden State teetering on the brink, down 3-1, with a potential closeout game in Toronto later today. The internet headlines fairly scream, "DEATH OF A DYNASTY!!!".

Even though it isn't, necessarily... even if they lose, and even if KD leaves in the off-season. For one thing, Kawhi may well leave Toronto. For another, who knows what GS will look like next year... except way healthier.

But, first things first. We got Game 5 tonight. Everyone's big question... Will KD play?

But I'd ask three other, better IMHO, questions instead... 1) If he plays, will he be close enough to 100% to make a difference?, and 2) If he plays, will he and Kerr be able to quickly re-integrate his playing style into an offense that has played without him for the past month?

And 3), Will the rest of the team step up well enough, especially defensively, to be able to defeat a well-coached, disciplined, and suddenly confident Raptors team that's getting contributions from many other sources than Kawhi now?

Should be a good game, and an interesting one no matter what happens.... tune in. :thumbsup:
  • 06-10-2019
    troutmd
    Its Game 7 tonight for Toronto. At home and on a roll. They know KD will only get better with each additional game and a lost tonight harpoons their MOmentum. GS Champ pride on display tonight.
  • 06-10-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Its Game 7 tonight for Toronto. At home and on a roll. They know KD will only get better with each additional game and a lost tonight harpoons their MOmentum. GS Champ pride on display tonight.

Been hearing a lot of talk about Toronto being my '04 Pistons vs. the Lakers. That finals series was largely known as the 5 game sweep.
  • 06-10-2019
    chuckice
    Blown Achilles for KD?
  • 06-10-2019
    troutmd
    Class act by Toronto fans when KD helped off court.:out:
  • 06-10-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Blown Achilles for KD?

Seems likely... we'll know for sure tomorrow after the MRI. Either way, he's done for the series, but the implications for his career are very serious.

It'll take him a year to recover (see: DeMarcus Cousins), and even if he's able to come back, there's no guarantee he'll ever be the same player again. This really really REALLY sucks for him. :(

Anyone out there who's still questioning KD's heart or determination, I think they've been proven definitively wrong now, and can shut their collective pie holes. :skep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by trout
    Class act by Toronto fans when KD helped off court.:out:

Noticed that (them cheering the KD injury). So did Cousins, who said the f***-word in his postgame interview (and it didn't get bleeped!), and called the fans who cheered KD's injury "trash".

He's not wrong.

On the plus side, it didn't sound like it was all or even a majority of the Toronto fans present doing it. And Lowry and some other Raptors immediately turned to the crowd and tried to get them to shut up.

So, the Raptors themselves are classier than some of their fans. Props to them.

PS- Anyone notice Warriors' GM Bob Myers breaking down during his postgame press conference? This series has more drama than any Finals in recent memory. :eek:

• 06-11-2019
    chuckice
    Yeah, the Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.

I can't ever recall such a big name player...rhe biggest...going into free agency in the same manner. In any sport. Effectively a season ending year long recovery in the championship series. And especially with ALL the season long build up TO his free agency.

I don't think it matters and teams will still bid as normal. But spending 200mil on a guy that can't start the season is unheard of.
  • 06-11-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Yeah, the Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.

I can't ever recall such a big name player...rhe biggest...going into free agency in the same manner. In any sport. Effectively a season ending year long recovery in the championship series. And especially with ALL the season long build up TO his free agency.

I don't think it matters and teams will still bid as normal. But spending 200mil on a guy that can't start the season is unheard of.

While I know Kobe was older and Dominique was a long time ago--if someone can give me someone in the NBA that came back as good as ever after an achilles tear I am all ears. Boogie looks like a shell of himself, Chauncey admitted that he never had that "jump" again.

Durant is 30-31 years old, 32+ before he hits the floor again. He is a 7 footer a height that makes this injury even worse. Will the Knicks still pay--yes, but I wonder how many are wondering if the next phase of Durant's career that of a 25 minute spot up shooter began last night and that would suck.
  • 06-11-2019
    troutmd
    Seems appropriate given the circumstances.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bGIcfw-69Go" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 06-11-2019
    davelikestoplay
    As a ex-pat Torontonian and a Raptors fan.. being happy KD is out is one thing... cheering a potential career killing injury is not a good look. As for the game the raptors definitely blew it.. but GS shot the lights out from 3 and barely won. I still like the Raptors chances
  • 06-11-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davelikestoplay View Post
    As a ex-pat Torontonian and a Raptors fan.. being happy KD is out is one thing... cheering a potential career killing injury is not a good look. As for the game the raptors definitely blew it.. but GS shot the lights out from 3 and barely won. I still like the Raptors chances

Toronto fan should not be taking etiquette lessons from Philly fan.
  • 06-12-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Yeah, the [Warriors' GM] Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.

I really didn't like it. Could've been sincere, but also could've easily been a 'performance' to deflect blame. Was also interesting/weird that Myers directly brought blame into it as a general subject, and spent significant time justifying the decision. Was the press conference about KD's health and career, or about Myers'? Hmm.

Also, the continuous crying and sniffling? I am reminded that Myers was a sports agent for 14 years. And, they at least tend to be an unsavory and insincere bunch. See: Rob Pelinka. :(

Let's face it... Myers had to have known there was at least some risk of the worst happening (unless his entire medical staff is extremely incompetent, which I doubt), and he signed off on it anyway. Yet probably no one expected it to turn out this badly... but, it did. If you roll the dice, snake-eyes does come up occasionally, yes?

But everyone wanted KD out there... Myers, Kerr, the fans (myself included, if it could be done safely). And of course, KD wanted to get out there, he signed off on it as well, I'm sure. But players will just about ALWAYS do that, they're competitive that way. So sometimes you have to save a player from himself.

But it's hard to say "no" when you're staring possible elimination from the NBA Finals in the face. And when you know the fans and the media will beat you up for it.

It was still, in the end, the wrong decision. And will probably play a role in how such decisions get made/are made for a long time to come, not just for the Warriors but for pro sports teams in general, now that we have such an obvious and high-profile worst-case-scenario/cautionary tale to draw on. :(
  • 06-12-2019
    SystemShock
    In other news, Stephen A. Smith and other loudmouthed armchair quarterbacks... err, 'sportscasters'... are pinning the Raptors' loss squarely on Nick Nurse because he called a timeout with 3:05 to play.

Apparently, this was an unforgivable mistake because the Raptors' were on a run at that point, so no doubt they would've continued on that run had Nurse just not done anything.

Thing is, though, how do you KNOW that? Nurse knows his own team far better than Stephen A. Smith or any of the other loudmouths know, well, much of anything. Nurse felt his guys, especially Kawhi, were either gassed or real close, so a timeout (two, actually, he took 'em back-to-back) was prudent.

Especially considering the nifty NBA rule that says that once you get inside of three minutes left to play, you lose all your timeouts except for two. So, a great many NBA coaches call a timeout at the exact time where Nurse did... right before the three-minute mark.

Yes, the Warriors went on a run of their own not long after that. But, so what? Maybe it would've been an even bigger run had Toronto had to defend while gassed. No one knows.

Long story short, Nurse has gotten them this far. Replace him with Stephen A. 'I have no coaching experience' Smith, and see how far they get. Yeeesh. :skep:
  • 06-12-2019
    SystemShock
    Far as Game 6 goes... I really don't expect the Warriors to win it. It's not only no KD, it's too many guys playing hurt. And Looney may not even play at all, as he re-aggravated his collar bone injury in Game 5.

Basically, in this series GS has beaten the Raptors only when they have three major scoring threats on the floor and going well... Steph, Klay, and either Boogie or KD. KD's gone, and Boogie's inconsistent (and sometimes a defensive liability, as Lowry showed several times in Game 5 when Boogie was switched onto him. Nurse will no doubt continue to target Cousins).

Plus, GS shot the lights out from 3 in Game 5 (20-for-42, aka 48 percent), and great shooting nights tend to 'revert to the mean' soon afterwards.

The formula for GS to beat Toronto would be good play from Boogie for two more games plus sustained high defensive intensity team-wide. But Boogie's only been good in two out of the five games so far, and the Warriors' defensive intensity has come and gone and come and gone at random. It seems a bit much to ask that both things, consistent good Boogie and consistent good D, will happen in both remaining games.

Would be sweet if somehow we made it to a Game 7 even though. A series this dramatic deserves even more drama. It would just be fitting.

• 06-12-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

Let's face it... Myers had to have known there was at least some risk of the worst happening (unless his entire medical staff is extremely incompetent, which I doubt),...

There is always risk of the worst happening.

Keeping in mind I don't follow the sports talking heads much, and just get bits and pieces...

I recall people talking about "reinjuring his calf" as the risk.

I don't recall anyone saying "coming back too soon from the calf risks the achilles tendon." Sure, it makes sense that it could, but I never heard that, or read it, ahead of time.
  • 06-12-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

In other news, Stephen A. Smith and other loudmouthed armchair quarterbacks... err, 'sportscasters'... are pinning the Raptors' loss squarely on Nick Nurse because he called a timeout with 3:05 to play.

Apparently, this was an unforgivable mistake because the Raptors' were on a run at that point, so no doubt they would've continued on that run had Nurse just not done anything.

Thing is, though, how do you KNOW that? Nurse knows his own team far better than Stephen A. Smith or any of the other loudmouths know, well, much of anything. Nurse felt his guys, especially Kawhi, were either gassed or real close, so a timeout (two, actually, he took 'em back-to-back) was prudent.

Especially considering the nifty NBA rule that says that once you get inside of three minutes left to play, you lose all your timeouts except for two. So, a great many NBA coaches call a timeout at the exact time where Nurse did... right before the three-minute mark.

Yes, the Warriors went on a run of their own not long after that. But, so what? Maybe it would've been an even bigger run had Toronto had to defend while gassed. No one knows.

Long story short, Nurse has gotten them this far. Replace him with Stephen A. 'I have no coaching experience' Smith, and see how far they get. Yeeesh. :skep:

I think the more unforgivable mistake was not setting a play that clears some space for Kawhi to take a mid-range buzzer beater shot.
  • 06-12-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

Far as Game 6 goes... I really don't expect the Warriors to win it. It's not only no KD, it's too many guys playing hurt. And Looney may not even play at all, as he re-aggravated his collar bone injury in Game 5.

Basically, in this series GS has beaten the Raptors only when they have three major scoring threats on the floor and going well... Steph, Klay, and either Boogie or KD. KD's gone, and Boogie's inconsistent (and sometimes a defensive liability, as Lowry showed several times in Game 5 when Boogie was switched onto him. Nurse will no doubt continue to target Cousins).

Plus, GS shot the lights out from 3 in Game 5 (20-for-42, aka 48 percent), and great shooting nights tend to 'revert to the mean' soon afterwards.

The formula for GS to beat Toronto would be good play from Boogie for two more games plus sustained high defensive intensity team-wide. But Boogie's only been good in two out of the five games so far, and the Warriors' defensive intensity has come and gone and come and gone at random. It seems a bit much to ask that both things, consistent good Boogie and consistent good D, will happen in both remaining games.

Would be sweet if somehow we made it to a Game 7 even though. A series this dramatic deserves even more drama. It would just be fitting.

+1 although I could see emotion, final Oracle game, etc. carrying this to Gm 7. Seems 50/50 at this point and seems very very low pct that if it does go to 7 that the W's win in 7.

So.......assuming it's Achilles tear for KD...does he get supermax offer from W's or max from Knicks, Brooklyn, LAC? Do you offer something so roster binding on a 32yr old player coming back with likely sub-KD? AND that 1 of the 4/5 yrs he will be sitting on a bench? My guess is yes but not sure it's the right move....
  • 06-12-2019
    davelikestoplay
    Quote:

I think the more unforgivable mistake was not setting a play that clears some space for Kawhi to take a mid-range buzzer beater shot.

Agree.. that was the worse call by an otherwise very good Nick Nurse.

Also the Myers press confrence says to me that mgmt pressured KD to play and now feel guilty about it.

I like the Raps chances still. They've been the better team overall despite injuries of their on
  • 06-12-2019
    chuckice
    Already had surgery...rupture confirmed.
  • 06-14-2019
    thatsmybush
    Whelp Congrats to Toronto.

Remember these words because you will hear them all off season, "load management."

Going to be a crazy free agency when 2 of the top tier players Clay and Durant are going to watch their first season from the bench.
  • 06-14-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

* Home court advantage.

1. Raptor's the better team in the Series and throughout the Playoffs - congrats.
    2. Sadly their Title will more the likely tainted by an asterisk ... * key opponent injuries
    3. Klay in THE ZONE last night and who knows what would happen in a game 7.
    4. Basketball a team game - one player forced to carry the team a tough job even for SC
    5. 2019 off-season FATS (Free Agency - Trades - Signings) to be epic
  • 06-14-2019
    .je
    Quote:

2. Sadly their Title will more the likely tainted by an asterisk ... * key opponent injuries
    3. Klay in THE ZONE last night and who knows what would happen in a game 7.

That's always a problem in football and hockey too, and nobody asterisks those championships. That said, if KD, Klay, KT were playing, I think it'd have been in 5, 6 or 7 games for GS instead.

So, do you think the Toronto Raptors are going to be invited to the White House? :confused5:
  • 06-14-2019
    chuckice
    Congrats to the Raptors...they did what they were supposed to do. Rings are rings. But that wasn't the Warriors at their best...or even close.
  • 06-15-2019
    chuckice
    LBJ + AD...Lakers are going to be real favorites now...
  • 06-17-2019
    love4himies
    Raptors feeling the love in Toronto:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speechless. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WeTheNorth?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WeTh eNorth</a> <a href="https://t.co/Ulb7MtDnK9">pic.twitter.com/Ulb7MtDnK9</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) <a href="https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/1140680453768339456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And the Warriors show their sportsmanship:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nice! <a href="https://t.co/7A3C5DicYb">https://t.co/7A3C5DicYb</a></p>&mdash; Catherine Swift (@Swiftie01) <a href="https://twitter.com/Swiftie01/status/1140685752537440256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • 06-17-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

LBJ + AD...Lakers are going to be real favorites now...

Is Kawhi coming home to LA?
  • 06-17-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Is Kawhi coming home to LA?

Maybe the clippers but from the NBA talk I have heard. The lakers won't have more than 22-23 in cap space for a front like player. That ain't getting Kawhi to come along, nor would it bring Kemba from Charlotte or Butler.
  • 06-17-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Maybe the clippers but from the NBA talk I have heard. The lakers won't have more than 22-23 in cap space for a front like player. That ain't getting Kawhi to come along, nor would it bring Kemba from Charlotte or Butler.

Didn't the Clippers take GS to 6 or 7 games without LA K?
  • 06-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Story of the Warriors postseason, in pics...

https://tinyurl.com/y4dkq6aq

https://tinyurl.com/yyy5dh6u

https://tinyurl.com/y5vyhfv5

https://tinyurl.com/y54h63y5

https://tinyurl.com/yyqg8uh7

At some point, don't you have to wonder why God doesn't just cut to the chase and lightning-bolt the entire team? :skep:

Congrats to the Raptors in any case. They had a gritty postseason run.

• 06-18-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Didn't the Clippers take GS to 6 or 7 games without LA K?

Clips took GS to six. They're a high-effort, high-character, well-coached team (Doc Rivers)... won't take anything more than Kawhi to turn 'em into a contender.
  • 06-18-2019
    troutmd
    SPORTS -The Thrill of Victory ... The Agony of Defeat
    Quote:

Clips took GS to six. They're a high-effort, high-character, well-coached team (Doc Rivers)... won't take anything more than Kawhi to turn 'em into a contender.

An NBA Finals so uplifting for Toronto and so cruel for Golden State.