2019 NBA Playoffs - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Again, stop playing the higher ground card. You just made a joke about raping children.

I'm off a cliff?

I don't like the NBA.
    You: Oh, ha ha. You must have been raped as a child.

Yes, this is funny. And totally not overreacting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    A friend just sent me a clip of the highlights of the Raptors vs. 76ers game. That is what passes for the NBA today? What a joke. ZERO defense. It's like casual pick-up and it's the playoffs!

I'm confused who actually watches this garbage. What a sorry excuse for the best basketball around. Just a bunch of driving and jacking up 3s with zero defense. No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Who is #21 on the 76ers?! That is the worst athlete I've ever seen. The guy can barely run. He's like a newborn deer. What is going on? He alone makes me never want to watch the NBA. Least agile person ever to get paid to play. The way that dude moves is comical.
    Doesn't like the NBA but has enough time to whine about it in a thread about the playoffs, and single out specific players he doesn't even know to complain about their athletecism, then doesn't understand why he is being called out for asshattery.

I don't like gravel bikes or time trial bikes or golf but you won't find me wasting my time calling them garbage and whining about them in threads/forums about them.

That said hard for anyone 7ft tall to look athletic when they move even when they are. It's like watching a C5 fly, just doesn't look natural or right. That said I have never watched Embiid play to comment on his particular play.

Hoping the Bucks win as I'm tired of GS and I rarely watch any NBA other than the occasional playoff game plus the greek freak is fun to watch.

RBR Hamsters Et My Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Doesn't like the NBA but has enough time to whine about it in a thread about the playoffs, and single out specific players he doesn't even know to complain about their athletecism, then doesn't understand why he is being called out for asshattery.

I don't like gravel bikes or time trial bikes or golf but you won't find me wasting my time calling them garbage and whining about them in threads/forums about them.
    Agreed. Do not understand the apparent thrill that the immature get from intentional trolling, or the abject lack-of-awareness that the clueless possess while unintentionally trolling.

At this point, given his behavior, I think everyone should just ignore him, except to mark his posts for moderation, since he obviously isn't going to do anything except fling more monkey-poop around.

Hoping the Bucks win as I'm tired of GS and I rarely watch any NBA other than the occasional playoff game plus the greek freak is fun to watch.
    Given what they did to a very good Raptors team today (i.e. destroyed them, to go up 2-0 in their series), seems like the Bucks are a near-lock to go to the Finals.

Don't know if they can take out GS. Quite a bit depends on when/if Durant and Cousins return (and if they're close to 100%), but even without 'em, GS would still have at least even odds. And a lot more Finals experience.

Do think the Bucks are future champs, though... it's just a matter of time, if they can keep their team together.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Gush some more, Homer Fanboi.
    It's not gushing if it's true.

BTW, re: Chicago. How many HOFers did they have?
    For their first three-peat, two... Jordan and Pippen. For their second three-peat, they had three, as Rodman came on board.

But, c'mon... Jordan considerably outshone his fellow HOFs, even as good as they were. It's not being dismissive of Pippen and Rodman to say that. It's just that Jordan was that incredible, probably the best player to ever play the game (LeBron fans, plug your ears).
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Do think the Bucks are future champs, though... it's just a matter of time, if they can keep their team together.
    As much as I customarily pull for underdogs, maturity leads me to believe that professional sports and keeping players with teams in a small market is almost an oxymoron. Kareem from Milwaukee to LA; O'Neil from Orlando to LA; KD from OKC to Frisco; James Hardin OKC to Houston; Kevin Garrett Timberwolves to Boston; Kawhi Leonard Toronto to ?.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    As much as I customarily pull for underdogs, maturity leads me to believe that professional sports and keeping players with teams in a small market is almost an oxymoron. Kareem from Milwaukee to LA; O'Neil from Orlando to LA; KD from OKC to Frisco; James Hardin OKC to Houston; Kevin Garrett Timberwolves to Boston; Kawhi Leonard Toronto to ?.
    And that indeed is the rub... though it should be noted that Toronto is actually a very large city of 2.7 million ppl, and would be roughly tied with Chicago for the 3rd largest city in the US were it an American city.

xxl
    ...It's just that Jordan was that incredible, probably the best player to ever play the game (LeBron fans, plug your ears).
    Oscar Robertson on line two...

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Oscar Robertson on line two...

Well, now we know why Oscar scored on such a high percentage of his drives... no one wanted to get tea-bagged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, now we know why Oscar scored on such a high percentage of his drives... no one wanted to get tea-bagged.
    yep, today, players are much more ball friendly.

Cat 6
    [IMG]https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/02/56/56/17492884/3/480x480.jpg
    [/IMG]

RoadBikeReview Member
    ______

giggle

gazing from the shadows
    That is an impressive website, for depth of information.

I like to go with Bill Russell in such discussions. A case can be made, and very few of the Jordan/James/Abdul-Jabbar people are ready for it.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    That is an impressive website, for depth of information.

I like to go with Bill Russell in such discussions. A case can be made, and very few of the Jordan/James/Abdul-Jabbar people are ready for it.
    I liked all the video clips. And I'll wager there are very few sports columns, even in the "databall" era, that get a chance to trot out the dangers of multicollinearity in judging players.

But help me out here: I'm still not sure what "WOWY" is an acronym for (I really suck an vanity plates, texting acronyms, anagrams, and Wheel of Fortune, too), but I know Oscar had a shitload of it:

Edit: I pursued some more links, and (eventually) figured out WOWY means "Without, With You." I also found this comment re the Big O:

"While Oscar is largely revered, most people don’t know that his impact was quantifiably enormous, dragging an otherwise inept team in Cincinnati to respectability, then later catapulting Kareem’s Bucks into the upper stratosphere."

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post

But help me out here: I'm still not sure what "WOWY" is an acronym for (I really suck an vanity plates, texting acronyms, anagrams, and Wheel of Fortune, too), but I know Oscar had a shitload of it:

Edit: I pursued some more links, and (eventually) figured out WOWY means "Without, With You."
    Yes, and it seems to be about game level data, which makes it useful for estimating impact with older data.

Boiled down from my quick skim: WOWYR is a weighted least squares regression model, and it's a measure of how much the player impacts the team performance in games (+/- points) controlling for lineups. Captures offense and defense, so an overall effect.

I am not going to read what all the terms are and their assumptions, much less try to decide if it is close to the BLUE.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Staring to actually feel bad for Portland... yet another big halftime lead, yet another huge Warriors comeback in the 3rd quarter. Blame Steph, the bench(!), and Draymond Green and his triple-double.

GS's up 3-0, only real question now is whether it'll be a true sweep or a "gentleman's sweep", aka done in five games.

But props to Portland, a lot of ppl had zero expectations for them this year after seeing them get swept out of the playoffs in the first round the past two years. Yet they got all the way to the WC Finals, even with their starting center/third-option out with a broken leg... resilience.

They've got a lot of good things going on in terms of their backcourt, certain bench players (Curry, Hood), and their overall fighting spirit, just not sure how they'll be able to get over the hump and be able to take out GS or the Rockets when push comes to shove, that's all.

Also have to wonder if a Denver-GS series would've been better, in terms of Denver matching up a bit better vs the Warriors' personnel. GS has too many guys who can guard perimeter-shooters well (sorry Portland).

Cat 6
    Staring to actually feel bad for Portland... yet another big halftime lead, yet another huge Warriors comeback in the 3rd quarter. Blame Steph, the bench(!), and Draymond Green and his triple-double.

GS's up 3-0, only real question now is whether it'll be a true sweep or a "gentleman's sweep", aka done in five games.

But props to Portland, a lot of ppl had zero expectations for them this year after seeing them get swept out of the playoffs in the first round the past two years. Yet they got all the way to the WC Finals, even with their starting center/third-option out with a broken leg... resilience.

They've got a lot of good things going on in terms of their backcourt, certain bench players (Curry, Hood), and their overall fighting spirit, just not sure how they'll be able to get over the hump and be able to take out GS or the Rockets when push comes to shove, that's all.

Also have to wonder if a Denver-GS series would've been better, in terms of Denver matching up a bit better vs the Warriors' personnel. GS has too many guys who can guard perimeter-shooters well (sorry Portland).
    I feel the same. Love watching them play when they're on. They play with class and no bs contact whining like harden. I can barely watch any game with the Rockets because Harden is such a mockery to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I feel the same. Love watching them play when they're on. They play with class and no bs contact whining like Harden. I can barely watch any game with the Rockets because Harden is such a mockery to the game.
    Yeah, I hate Harden's overt 'foul-hunting' too. Throw up a three, and then kick out a leg or jump into the defender for the foul. It really is total bs.

But analytically, you can understand why he does it. Harden's an 85% free throw shooter, and if you get fouled on a three, you get three free throws. So, for every time he can get some dumb ref to bite and call the 'foul', he gets about 2.5 points out of it, on average. It's way better than even a wide-open three for him, since he obviously can't shoot those at an 85 percent clip (no one can).

Other than refs not being dumb, the only solution I can think of is for them to call an offensive foul in that situation. And why not? If you drive to the basket and run over someone outside of the restricted area, that's charging, aka an offensive foul. Why should a jump shot be any different, if the shooter's very obviously initiating contact?

To be fair to Harden, the rest of the league does a less obvious/obnoxious version of this, where you pump fake the defender into the air, and then jump into him while tossing up a shot (that you don't expect to go in). But that at least takes some tiny iota of skill, and I wouldn't mind if that got called an o-foul too.

Cat 6
    Yeah, I hate Harden's overt 'foul-hunting' too. Throw up a three, and then kick out a leg or jump into the defender for the foul. It really is total bs.

But analytically, you can understand why he does it. Harden's an 85% free throw shooter, and if you get fouled on a three, you get three free throws. So, for every time he can get some dumb ref to bite and call the 'foul', he gets about 2.5 points out of it, on average. It's way better than even a wide-open three for him, since he obviously can't shoot those at an 85 percent clip (no one can).

Other than refs not being dumb, the only solution I can think of is for them to call an offensive foul in that situation. And why not? If you drive to the basket and run over someone outside of the restricted area, that's charging, aka an offensive foul. Why should a jump shot be any different, if the shooter's very obviously initiating contact?

To be fair to Harden, the rest of the league does a less obvious/obnoxious version of this, where you pump fake the defender into the air, and then jump into him while tossing up a shot (that you don't expect to go in). But that at least takes some tiny iota of skill, and I wouldn't mind if that got called an o-foul too.
    I bet if you scoring adjust the league to remove free throw points that harden isn't top 10 in scoring. That's all I need to know. He seeks & sells contact which is a joke. There is nothing to respect about that game.
    Last edited by chuckice; 05-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.

And... Portland got swept, 4-0.

But it was actually a hard-fought series even so. GS was behind by as many as 17, 18, and 17 points in Games 2, 3, and 4, respectively. But fought back every time for the come-from-behind win. Which automatically brings up the expected "Heart of a CHAMPION!" shouts from all of the sports commentators.

But which makes me wonder, "How come they played so poorly in the first half of all those games to fall behind 17-18 points consistently to begin with?" Why is no one focusing on that?

IOW, maybe Milwaukee or Toronto in the Finals will be a tougher test than many are anticipating... unless Durant and/or Cousins do in fact get healthy in time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Frisco in Four

Wow, what's going on in the East?? The Conference Finals have actually turned into a series, with the Raptors winning three straight to take a 3-2 lead!!!

Is Canada actually on the verge of sending a team to the NBA Finals for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. ??

It may be a Sign of the Apocalypse™. Just sayin'.

Oh, and Kawhi Leonard is a basketball-playing cyborg. That is all.

Opus was just napping
    Wow, what's going on in the East?? The Conference Finals have actually turned into a series, with the Raptors winning three straight to take a 3-2 lead!!!

Is Canada actually on the verge of sending a team to the NBA Finals for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. ??

I was pretty damned shocked that Milwaukee lost at home after dropping two straight at Toronto, thought they would right the ship and take it in six. Now all bets are off. Kawhi still has that champion mentality that you have to learn, he has an edge for sure.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member

Raptor defense has captured the series momentum from a young Bucks team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What a series for LA Kawhi. Alas, Frisco has too many horses for Toronto.

PS - Bucks did what most young teams do on the first playoff run --- get taken down by a tougher team.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast