2019 NBA Playoffs - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RBR Hamsters Et My Avatar
    RAPTORS WIN!! THEY'RE IN THE FINALS!!!

And Canada's all like...

MH: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Nickname for this upcoming NBA Finals... 'Golden State vs Frozen State'.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I was pretty damned shocked that Milwaukee lost at home after dropping two straight at Toronto, thought they would right the ship and take it in six.
    Watched some, not all of the series.

From what I saw, Toronto was looking to strip the ball whenever it was brought to chest height or lower. Which Giannis does a lot, and that was a great plan against him. They were also doing it to others as well. Swarm and strip on any drives. As opposed to trying to block/hand in the face or take a charge.

Giannis needs to develop a 15' shot. Or a 10' hook or something. He was exposed in the half court game pretty badly.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Watched some, not all of the series.

From what I saw, Toronto was looking to strip the ball whenever it was brought to chest height or lower. Which Giannis does a lot, and that was a great plan against him. They were also doing it to others as well. Swarm and strip on any drives. As opposed to trying to block/hand in the face or take a charge.

Giannis needs to develop a 15' shot. Or a 10' hook or something. He was exposed in the half court game pretty badly.
    Good observations. We'll make an NBA semi-fan outta you yet, Q.

On top of the swarm-and-strip tactics, the Raptors got quite good at 'building a wall' in the paint with multiple guys to stop Giannis' drives.

Giannis is almost unstoppable once he gets going downhill, but on the flip side, he seems a bit confused/tentative when he is denied his usual opportunities to fly to the rim.

Not only that, but Toronto also was pretty good at keeping the Bucks out of transition (where Giannis REALLY gets a chance to get up a head of steam).

The 'wall in the paint' tactic confused me at first, 'cuz I was like, "If Toronto has multiple guys sagging into the paint, won't Giannis just kick it out to Milwaukee's three-point shooters, who are pretty good?". Short answer: They weren't good in this series, averaging only 31% beyond the arc. And Toronto I guess picked up on that after game 2.

On top of that, (Raptor's coach) Nick Nurse put Kawhi on Giannis, and Kawhi is probably the best individual defender on planet Earth. Even he can't stop him, but he can make him work very hard for everything.

So Nurse pretty much did everything right after the first two games. What was really shocking was how Buck's coach Budenholzer seemed to utterly FAIL to make any meaningful adjustments in response. He seemed to believe that the Buck's offensive system was going to prevail no matter what. Well, nope. Wow.

Kawhi was spectacular, as was Lowry, and many Raptor role players stepped up, but the 'hidden MVP' really was Nick Nurse... and in his first year as an NBA head coach even. Guess he earned the sideline shoulder rubs he got from Drake (yes, Drake really did that).

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Good observations. We'll make an NBA semi-fan outta you yet, Q.

On top of the swarm-and-strip tactics, the Raptors got quite good at 'building a wall' in the paint with multiple guys to stop Giannis' drives.

Giannis is almost unstoppable once he gets going downhill, but on the flip side, he seems a bit confused/tentative when he is denied his usual opportunities to fly to the rim.

Not only that, but Toronto also was pretty good at keeping the Bucks out of transition (where Giannis REALLY gets a chance to get up a head of steam).

The 'wall in the paint' tactic confused me at first, 'cuz I was like, "If Toronto has multiple guys sagging into the paint, won't Giannis just kick it out to Milwaukee's three-point shooters, who are pretty good?". Short answer: They weren't good in this series, averaging only 31% beyond the arc. And Toronto I guess picked up on that after game 2.

On top of that, (Raptor's coach) Nick Nurse put Kawhi on Giannis, and Kawhi is probably the best individual defender on planet Earth. Even he can't stop him, but he can make him work very hard for everything.

So Nurse pretty much did everything right after the first two games. What was really shocking was how Buck's coach Budenholzer seemed to utterly FAIL to make any meaningful adjustments in response. He seemed to believe that the Buck's offensive system was going to prevail no matter what. Well, nope. Wow.

Kawhi was spectacular, as was Lowry, and many Raptor role players stepped up, but the 'hidden MVP' really was Nick Nurse... and in his first year as an NBA head coach even. Guess he earned the sideline shoulder rubs he got from Drake (yes, Drake really did that).
    If Nurse is the MVP (and I would NOT disagree) the burn on this series has to go to Bucks coach Budenholzer who after seeing what was essentially a 3/2 zone whenever Giannis got the ball over half court in game three failed to find a way to move past that. For games 3-6 it was just a rehash of the same Giannis go be a bull rather than using Bledsoe, spread the floor and Giannis on the move. It became a ugle version of the worst of James Harden out there.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Toronto could be an interesting finals opponent for GS.

* Home court advantage.
    * Swept two season meetings (albeit early in the season)
    * KD out for at least the first game.
    * Kawhi at pinnacle of his game and Free Agent Poster Boy hungry to build his resume.
    * Capable, quick small guards to pickup Curry at half court and hope its a long series - Curry has a history of getting exhausted into making late ball handling errors as a series progresses.
    * NBA's highlights always focus on offense, but defense will play a big role in this series. As Raptor's have shown in this playoffs, their half-court defense is superb and tested.
    * Good to have finals finally without Lebron and bully-ball.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Toronto could be an interesting finals opponent for GS.

* Home court advantage.
    * Swept two season meetings (albeit early in the season)
    * KD out for at least the first game.
    * Kawhi at pinnacle of his game and Free Agent Poster Boy hungry to build his resume.
    * Capable, quick small guards to pickup Curry at half court and hope its a long series - Curry has a history of getting exhausted into making late ball handling errors as a series progresses.
    * NBA's highlights always focus on offense, but defense will play a big role in this series. As Raptor's have shown in this playoffs, their half-court defense is superb and tested.
    * Good to have finals finally without Lebron and bully-ball.
    Agreed... I think it'll be a tougher series for the Warriors than many expect, whether or not Durant plays.

But, what do I know, I also thought the Bucks would take the Raptors. Didn't foresee Milwaukee getting so thoroughly out-coached/out-schemed in the series.

Bit of cockiness may be setting in...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Relax --- Drake will eliminate any GS complacency.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

Hi
    May 2010
    How about those raptors? Probably a bridge too far to beat the dynastic warriors, but its been a fun ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davelikestoplay View Post
    How about those raptors? Probably a bridge too far to beat the dynastic warriors, but its been a fun ride
    home court?

Props to the Raptors... their defense was totally on-point in Game 1, and really frustrated the Warriors (though Curry still had a good game). Siakam, Gasol, Danny Green, and Van Vleet were all magnificent. And while Lowry didn't have a good shooting game he did dish out nine assists and did his thing on D, taking multiple charges (and sent Draymond to the bench with one too many fouls).

IOW, Toronto's role players and secondary stars really stepped up. Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto is the best and most-disciplined team GS has faced in this year's playoffs. Sorry Houston.

And yes, GS does need Durant back for this series. They're more fun to watch without Durant's ball-dominant iso ways, but their ceiling is higher with KD in the mix. And, they really need three absolutely knock-down shooters on the floor to pick apart the Raptors' stout defense.

This is gonna be a good series, I think.

As you might expect, Toronto (and much of Canada) is going completely nuts for their team in big and yet still Canadian-style ways (i.e. they're nice).

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5...-kawhi-leonard

RoadBikeReview Member
    Props to the Raptors... their defense was totally on-point in Game 1, and really frustrated the Warriors (though Curry still had a good game). Siakam, Gasol, Danny Green, and Van Vleet were all magnificent. And while Lowry didn't have a good shooting game he did dish out nine assists and did his thing on D, taking multiple charges (and sent Draymond to the bench with one too many fouls).

IOW, Toronto's role players and secondary stars really stepped up. Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto is the best and most-disciplined team GS has faced in this year's playoffs. Sorry Houston.

And yes, GS does need Durant back for this series. They're more fun to watch without Durant's ball-dominant iso ways, but their ceiling is higher with KD in the mix. And, they really need three absolutely knock-down shooters on the floor to pick apart the Raptors' stout defense.

This is gonna be a good series, I think.
    GS long layoff waiting for the Finals to start not helpful, but nevertheless KD needed back to win series. Game Two will be telling.

gazing from the shadows
    ... Kawhi didn't even score that much, for him (23 points on lackluster 5-for-14 shooting), but it didn't matter.

GS game plan was to take Kawhi out of the game. Which they did. And where GS missed Durant the most was on the D end, given his 7' 5" wingspan.

Oh, and Cousins is not ready to play, at all.

GS had a long layoff. So we'll see what happens in game 2 with their play and plan, but my guess is that Siakam won't be shooting over 80%.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    GS game plan was to take Kawhi out of the game. Which they did. And where GS missed Durant the most was on the D end, given his 7' 5" wingspan.
    True, they did double and trap Kawhi quite a bit. Which freed up the other Raptors for more open looks on shots, and easier lanes to the basket.

That said, while KD on defense would be a big help, GS also needs him on offense. The Raptors were helping off of GS's non-shooters... Looney, Green, Iguodala, etc. They didn't really care if those guys got open 3s or even midrange jumpers. They just have to stop them on lobs and layups for the most part, which means Toronto is free to clog the paint and/or double up on either Steph or Klay.

Oh, and Cousins is not ready to play, at all.
    It's hard to know how big his role can be in this series, even if healthy. He doesn't have good enough lateral movement (even when 100%) to defend all five positions, which you need to be able to do in the Warriors' 'switch everything' defense. Kerr might've limited his playing time for that reason.

BUT, DeMarcus is a big who can shoot the 3 (not so much in his abbreviated season this year, but in the 3 seasons prior, he was 35-37% at it), bull his way to the basket, and pass/distribute the ball well. But it appears he's just going to be there to soak up a few minutes per game at the 5 while GS's more defensively-capable 'small ball 5s' like Green and Looney get their brief rests.

GS had a long layoff. So we'll see what happens in game 2 with their play and plan, but my guess is that Siakam won't be shooting over 80%.
    I don't really know if Siakam was so hot in Game 1 because he really was so hot, or because GS played too far off him so they could concentrate on/double Kawhi, or both.

But yeah, I concur, it would be really surprising if he had a Game 2 like his Game 1.

Game 3 tonight. Game 2 was incredible. To re-cap, the Warriors won despite the following:

No Kevin Durant (still).
    Curry playing while ill.
    Looney going out in the second period w/a broken collarbone (done for the series).
    Iggy playing hurt (calf strain).
    Klay going out early the fourth with a pulled hamstring.
    DeMarcus Cousins playing big minutes (due to all the injuries), despite coming back from an quad tear and still having sub-par conditioning.

I mean, what else can happen? A light from the rafters falls and takes out Steve Kerr?

Yet they still won. And with an 18-0 run to start the third, no less. Damb.

Props to the collective effort, everyone stepped up. GS proves once again that its bench is actually pretty darn good, despite the persistent naysaying.

And Cousins... wow. 11 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, two blocks, in 27 minutes. And while not being a big defensive liability as feared, due to sagging back to the paint (while Toronto obliged by missing a lot of open shots), and getting plenty of timely weakside help from the likes of Green and Iggy. With Looney likely lost for the series, he's going to be key going forward.

But, Game 3? Sigh. Durant reportedly will still be out, and Klay is looking doubtful for it. Without them, the Warriors won't have enough shooting to keep Toronto honest, unless someone like Quinn Cook has a big game from beyond the arc, or maybe Cousins (he can shoot some when asked).

But thing is, no Klay also means that GS loses one of their best perimeter defenders, and I also don't expect the Raptors 'other guys' to shoot as badly as they did on Sunday. You can see a 'Raptor-lanche' coming, potentially.

So, would expect Toronto to take this one vs 'the Warriors Infirmary/M*A*S*H unit', as they're starting to be called. But who knows, maybe GS will pull another, even more incredible performance out of their hat. This is why you go and play the games anyway.

Some fun pics (first one's Drake). Don't ask me about the one where Curry's riding an electric-eyes raptor while wearing a chef's hat and wielding a spatula, have no idea what that's about.

But, Game 3? Sigh. Durant reportedly will still be out, and Klay is looking doubtful for it. Without them, the Warriors won't have enough shooting to keep Toronto honest, unless someone like Quinn Cook has a big game from beyond the arc, or maybe Cousins (he can shoot some when asked).

But thing is, no Klay also means that GS loses one of their best perimeter defenders, and I also don't expect the Raptors 'other guys' to shoot as badly as they did on Sunday. You can see a 'Raptor-lanche' coming, potentially.

So, would expect Toronto to take this one vs 'the Warriors Infirmary/M*A*S*H unit', as they're starting to be called. But who knows, maybe GS will pull another, even more incredible performance out of their hat. This is why you go and play the games anyway.
    Well, Game 3 went as expected, a Toronto win vs a very depleted (no Klay, no KD, no Looney) and banged-up Warriors squad. Curry scored 47 points (!)... and it didn't matter, as the Raptors played an efficient game, and no one else on GS stepped up at all beyond Draymond (17p/7r/4a).

But then Game 4 happened... aka the Raptors turned the screws on GS.

Game 4 is the one that hurt. Klay came back and played, as did (very surprisingly) Looney, broken collarbone and all. And GS was on their home floor. The 'heart of a champion' story was right there, all ready to come true.

But, it didn't. Turns out Curry was a bit rubber-legged after logging 43 tough minutes and putting the team on his back just two days prior. Klay and Dray played well, but with no one else coming through in a big way (a la Cousins' Game 2 performance), it wasn't enough.

Worst of all, GS's defensive intensity wasn't there late in the game when Toronto went on an epic run late in the third to seize control... and really, sans KD, GS's road to victory is paved on that very defensive intensity.

So here we are, Golden State teetering on the brink, down 3-1, with a potential closeout game in Toronto later today. The internet headlines fairly scream, "DEATH OF A DYNASTY!!!".

Even though it isn't, necessarily... even if they lose, and even if KD leaves in the off-season. For one thing, Kawhi may well leave Toronto. For another, who knows what GS will look like next year... except way healthier.

But, first things first. We got Game 5 tonight. Everyone's big question... Will KD play?

But I'd ask three other, better IMHO, questions instead... 1) If he plays, will he be close enough to 100% to make a difference?, and 2) If he plays, will he and Kerr be able to quickly re-integrate his playing style into an offense that has played without him for the past month?

And 3), Will the rest of the team step up well enough, especially defensively, to be able to defeat a well-coached, disciplined, and suddenly confident Raptors team that's getting contributions from many other sources than Kawhi now?

Should be a good game, and an interesting one no matter what happens.... tune in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its Game 7 tonight for Toronto. At home and on a roll. They know KD will only get better with each additional game and a lost tonight harpoons their MOmentum. GS Champ pride on display tonight.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Its Game 7 tonight for Toronto. At home and on a roll. They know KD will only get better with each additional game and a lost tonight harpoons their MOmentum. GS Champ pride on display tonight.
    Been hearing a lot of talk about Toronto being my '04 Pistons vs. the Lakers. That finals series was largely known as the 5 game sweep.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Cat 6
    Blown Achilles for KD?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Class act by Toronto fans when KD helped off court.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Blown Achilles for KD?
    Seems likely... we'll know for sure tomorrow after the MRI. Either way, he's done for the series, but the implications for his career are very serious.

It'll take him a year to recover (see: DeMarcus Cousins), and even if he's able to come back, there's no guarantee he'll ever be the same player again. This really really REALLY sucks for him.

Anyone out there who's still questioning KD's heart or determination, I think they've been proven definitively wrong now, and can shut their collective pie holes.

Quote Originally Posted by trout
    Class act by Toronto fans when KD helped off court.
    Noticed that (them cheering the KD injury). So did Cousins, who said the f***-word in his postgame interview (and it didn't get bleeped!), and called the fans who cheered KD's injury "trash".

He's not wrong.

On the plus side, it didn't sound like it was all or even a majority of the Toronto fans present doing it. And Lowry and some other Raptors immediately turned to the crowd and tried to get them to shut up.

So, the Raptors themselves are classier than some of their fans. Props to them.

PS- Anyone notice Warriors' GM Bob Myers breaking down during his postgame press conference? This series has more drama than any Finals in recent memory.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast