2019 NBA Playoffs - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Cat 6
    Yeah, the Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.

I can't ever recall such a big name player...rhe biggest...going into free agency in the same manner. In any sport. Effectively a season ending year long recovery in the championship series. And especially with ALL the season long build up TO his free agency.

I don't think it matters and teams will still bid as normal. But spending 200mil on a guy that can't start the season is unheard of.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Yeah, the Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.

I can't ever recall such a big name player...rhe biggest...going into free agency in the same manner. In any sport. Effectively a season ending year long recovery in the championship series. And especially with ALL the season long build up TO his free agency.

I don't think it matters and teams will still bid as normal. But spending 200mil on a guy that can't start the season is unheard of.
    While I know Kobe was older and Dominique was a long time ago--if someone can give me someone in the NBA that came back as good as ever after an achilles tear I am all ears. Boogie looks like a shell of himself, Chauncey admitted that he never had that "jump" again.

Durant is 30-31 years old, 32+ before he hits the floor again. He is a 7 footer a height that makes this injury even worse. Will the Knicks still pay--yes, but I wonder how many are wondering if the next phase of Durant's career that of a 25 minute spot up shooter began last night and that would suck.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems appropriate given the circumstances.

I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Hi
    May 2010
    As a ex-pat Torontonian and a Raptors fan.. being happy KD is out is one thing... cheering a potential career killing injury is not a good look. As for the game the raptors definitely blew it.. but GS shot the lights out from 3 and barely won. I still like the Raptors chances

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by davelikestoplay View Post
    As a ex-pat Torontonian and a Raptors fan.. being happy KD is out is one thing... cheering a potential career killing injury is not a good look. As for the game the raptors definitely blew it.. but GS shot the lights out from 3 and barely won. I still like the Raptors chances
    Toronto fan should not be taking etiquette lessons from Philly fan.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Yeah, the [Warriors' GM] Myers post game presser was a little much for me to watch.
    I really didn't like it. Could've been sincere, but also could've easily been a 'performance' to deflect blame. Was also interesting/weird that Myers directly brought blame into it as a general subject, and spent significant time justifying the decision. Was the press conference about KD's health and career, or about Myers'? Hmm.

Also, the continuous crying and sniffling? I am reminded that Myers was a sports agent for 14 years. And, they at least tend to be an unsavory and insincere bunch. See: Rob Pelinka.

Let's face it... Myers had to have known there was at least some risk of the worst happening (unless his entire medical staff is extremely incompetent, which I doubt), and he signed off on it anyway. Yet probably no one expected it to turn out this badly... but, it did. If you roll the dice, snake-eyes does come up occasionally, yes?

But everyone wanted KD out there... Myers, Kerr, the fans (myself included, if it could be done safely). And of course, KD wanted to get out there, he signed off on it as well, I'm sure. But players will just about ALWAYS do that, they're competitive that way. So sometimes you have to save a player from himself.

But it's hard to say "no" when you're staring possible elimination from the NBA Finals in the face. And when you know the fans and the media will beat you up for it.

It was still, in the end, the wrong decision. And will probably play a role in how such decisions get made/are made for a long time to come, not just for the Warriors but for pro sports teams in general, now that we have such an obvious and high-profile worst-case-scenario/cautionary tale to draw on.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    In other news, Stephen A. Smith and other loudmouthed armchair quarterbacks... err, 'sportscasters'... are pinning the Raptors' loss squarely on Nick Nurse because he called a timeout with 3:05 to play.

Apparently, this was an unforgivable mistake because the Raptors' were on a run at that point, so no doubt they would've continued on that run had Nurse just not done anything.

Thing is, though, how do you KNOW that? Nurse knows his own team far better than Stephen A. Smith or any of the other loudmouths know, well, much of anything. Nurse felt his guys, especially Kawhi, were either gassed or real close, so a timeout (two, actually, he took 'em back-to-back) was prudent.

Especially considering the nifty NBA rule that says that once you get inside of three minutes left to play, you lose all your timeouts except for two. So, a great many NBA coaches call a timeout at the exact time where Nurse did... right before the three-minute mark.

Yes, the Warriors went on a run of their own not long after that. But, so what? Maybe it would've been an even bigger run had Toronto had to defend while gassed. No one knows.

Long story short, Nurse has gotten them this far. Replace him with Stephen A. 'I have no coaching experience' Smith, and see how far they get. Yeeesh.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Far as Game 6 goes... I really don't expect the Warriors to win it. It's not only no KD, it's too many guys playing hurt. And Looney may not even play at all, as he re-aggravated his collar bone injury in Game 5.

Basically, in this series GS has beaten the Raptors only when they have three major scoring threats on the floor and going well... Steph, Klay, and either Boogie or KD. KD's gone, and Boogie's inconsistent (and sometimes a defensive liability, as Lowry showed several times in Game 5 when Boogie was switched onto him. Nurse will no doubt continue to target Cousins).

Plus, GS shot the lights out from 3 in Game 5 (20-for-42, aka 48 percent), and great shooting nights tend to 'revert to the mean' soon afterwards.

The formula for GS to beat Toronto would be good play from Boogie for two more games plus sustained high defensive intensity team-wide. But Boogie's only been good in two out of the five games so far, and the Warriors' defensive intensity has come and gone and come and gone at random. It seems a bit much to ask that both things, consistent good Boogie and consistent good D, will happen in both remaining games.

Would be sweet if somehow we made it to a Game 7 even though. A series this dramatic deserves even more drama. It would just be fitting.

Last edited by SystemShock; 06-12-2019 at 02:22 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Let's face it... Myers had to have known there was at least some risk of the worst happening (unless his entire medical staff is extremely incompetent, which I doubt),...
    There is always risk of the worst happening.

Keeping in mind I don't follow the sports talking heads much, and just get bits and pieces...

I recall people talking about "reinjuring his calf" as the risk.

I don't recall anyone saying "coming back too soon from the calf risks the achilles tendon." Sure, it makes sense that it could, but I never heard that, or read it, ahead of time.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Cat 6
    In other news, Stephen A. Smith and other loudmouthed armchair quarterbacks... err, 'sportscasters'... are pinning the Raptors' loss squarely on Nick Nurse because he called a timeout with 3:05 to play.

Apparently, this was an unforgivable mistake because the Raptors' were on a run at that point, so no doubt they would've continued on that run had Nurse just not done anything.

Thing is, though, how do you KNOW that? Nurse knows his own team far better than Stephen A. Smith or any of the other loudmouths know, well, much of anything. Nurse felt his guys, especially Kawhi, were either gassed or real close, so a timeout (two, actually, he took 'em back-to-back) was prudent.

Especially considering the nifty NBA rule that says that once you get inside of three minutes left to play, you lose all your timeouts except for two. So, a great many NBA coaches call a timeout at the exact time where Nurse did... right before the three-minute mark.

Yes, the Warriors went on a run of their own not long after that. But, so what? Maybe it would've been an even bigger run had Toronto had to defend while gassed. No one knows.

Long story short, Nurse has gotten them this far. Replace him with Stephen A. 'I have no coaching experience' Smith, and see how far they get. Yeeesh.
    I think the more unforgivable mistake was not setting a play that clears some space for Kawhi to take a mid-range buzzer beater shot.

Cat 6
    Far as Game 6 goes... I really don't expect the Warriors to win it. It's not only no KD, it's too many guys playing hurt. And Looney may not even play at all, as he re-aggravated his collar bone injury in Game 5.

Basically, in this series GS has beaten the Raptors only when they have three major scoring threats on the floor and going well... Steph, Klay, and either Boogie or KD. KD's gone, and Boogie's inconsistent (and sometimes a defensive liability, as Lowry showed several times in Game 5 when Boogie was switched onto him. Nurse will no doubt continue to target Cousins).

Plus, GS shot the lights out from 3 in Game 5 (20-for-42, aka 48 percent), and great shooting nights tend to 'revert to the mean' soon afterwards.

The formula for GS to beat Toronto would be good play from Boogie for two more games plus sustained high defensive intensity team-wide. But Boogie's only been good in two out of the five games so far, and the Warriors' defensive intensity has come and gone and come and gone at random. It seems a bit much to ask that both things, consistent good Boogie and consistent good D, will happen in both remaining games.

Would be sweet if somehow we made it to a Game 7 even though. A series this dramatic deserves even more drama. It would just be fitting.

+1 although I could see emotion, final Oracle game, etc. carrying this to Gm 7. Seems 50/50 at this point and seems very very low pct that if it does go to 7 that the W's win in 7.

So.......assuming it's Achilles tear for KD...does he get supermax offer from W's or max from Knicks, Brooklyn, LAC? Do you offer something so roster binding on a 32yr old player coming back with likely sub-KD? AND that 1 of the 4/5 yrs he will be sitting on a bench? My guess is yes but not sure it's the right move....

Hi
    May 2010
    I think the more unforgivable mistake was not setting a play that clears some space for Kawhi to take a mid-range buzzer beater shot.
    Agree.. that was the worse call by an otherwise very good Nick Nurse.

Also the Myers press confrence says to me that mgmt pressured KD to play and now feel guilty about it.

I like the Raps chances still. They've been the better team overall despite injuries of their on

Cat 6
    Already had surgery...rupture confirmed.

Opus was just napping
    Whelp Congrats to Toronto.

Remember these words because you will hear them all off season, "load management."

Going to be a crazy free agency when 2 of the top tier players Clay and Durant are going to watch their first season from the bench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Toronto could be an interesting finals opponent for GS.

* Home court advantage.
    * Swept two season meetings (albeit early in the season)
    * KD out for at least the first game.
    * Kawhi at pinnacle of his game and Free Agent Poster Boy hungry to build his resume.
    * Capable, quick small guards to pickup Curry at half court and hope its a long series - Curry has a history of getting exhausted into making late ball handling errors as a series progresses.
    * NBA's highlights always focus on offense, but defense will play a big role in this series. As Raptor's have shown in this playoffs, their half-court defense is superb and tested.
    * Good to have finals finally without Lebron and bully-ball.
    1. Raptor's the better team in the Series and throughout the Playoffs - congrats.
    2. Sadly their Title will more the likely tainted by an asterisk ... * key opponent injuries
    3. Klay in THE ZONE last night and who knows what would happen in a game 7.
    4. Basketball a team game - one player forced to carry the team a tough job even for SC
    5. 2019 off-season FATS (Free Agency - Trades - Signings) to be epic
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    2. Sadly their Title will more the likely tainted by an asterisk ... * key opponent injuries
    3. Klay in THE ZONE last night and who knows what would happen in a game 7.
    That's always a problem in football and hockey too, and nobody asterisks those championships. That said, if KD, Klay, KT were playing, I think it'd have been in 5, 6 or 7 games for GS instead.

So, do you think the Toronto Raptors are going to be invited to the White House?

Cat 6
    Congrats to the Raptors...they did what they were supposed to do. Rings are rings. But that wasn't the Warriors at their best...or even close.

Cat 6
    LBJ + AD...Lakers are going to be real favorites now...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Raptors feeling the love in Toronto:

And the Warriors show their sportsmanship:

While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    LBJ + AD...Lakers are going to be real favorites now...
    Is Kawhi coming home to LA?

Opus was just napping
    Is Kawhi coming home to LA?
    Maybe the clippers but from the NBA talk I have heard. The lakers won't have more than 22-23 in cap space for a front like player. That ain't getting Kawhi to come along, nor would it bring Kemba from Charlotte or Butler.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Maybe the clippers but from the NBA talk I have heard. The lakers won't have more than 22-23 in cap space for a front like player. That ain't getting Kawhi to come along, nor would it bring Kemba from Charlotte or Butler.
    Didn't the Clippers take GS to 6 or 7 games without LA K?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Story of the Warriors postseason, in pics...

At some point, don't you have to wonder why God doesn't just cut to the chase and lightning-bolt the entire team?

Congrats to the Raptors in any case. They had a gritty postseason run.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Didn't the Clippers take GS to 6 or 7 games without LA K?
    Clips took GS to six. They're a high-effort, high-character, well-coached team (Doc Rivers)... won't take anything more than Kawhi to turn 'em into a contender.

RoadBikeReview Member

SPORTS -The Thrill of Victory ... The Agony of Defeat

Clips took GS to six. They're a high-effort, high-character, well-coached team (Doc Rivers)... won't take anything more than Kawhi to turn 'em into a contender.
    An NBA Finals so uplifting for Toronto and so cruel for Golden State.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast