2019 NBA Playoffs

Printable View

• 06-19-2019
    chuckice
    In non-Laker news...
    "CP3 reportedly has demanded a trade and Harden has told the Rockets it's 'him or me.'"
  • 06-19-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    In non-Laker news...
    "CP3 reportedly has demanded a trade and Harden has told the Rockets it's 'him or me.'"

I have three reasons for why that will not happen.

38,41,45 over the next three years.
  • 06-19-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I have three reasons for why that will not happen.

38,41,45 over the next three years.

Yep, if he was a less injury prone and 2 yrs younger then sure...
  • 06-19-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Yep, if he was a less injury prone and 2 yrs younger then sure...

He would still be.

1) Over rated
    2) Pouty team cancer
    3) 5'10"ish
    4) Playoff failure
    5) Injury prone
    6) Slow (see 5)
  • 06-19-2019
    chuckice
    That's a lot of the guys in the league. Take away the injuries and a few years and he'd find a home in 3 mins come Jul1.

As is, going to be tough to relocate him.
  • 06-20-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    An NBA Finals so uplifting for Toronto and so cruel for Golden State.

Definitely. The worst train-wreck slate of injuries in a postseason since the '89 Lakers (who lost Byron Scott and Magic Johnson to injuries, thus ensuring they got swept by the Pistons in the Finals).

It's also the gift that'll keep on giving, as both Klay and KD will be out for most of next season, or perhaps ALL of next season in KD's case. Assuming KD even comes back to GS next season.

The Warriors need to add shooting in the interim, or everyone's gonna 'box-and-one' Curry. My god.
  • 06-20-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

[CP3] would still be.

1) Overrated
    2) Pouty team cancer
    3) 5'10"ish
    4) Playoff failure
    5) Injury prone
    6) Slow (see 5)

CP3 was still really good even 1-2 seasons ago... one could argue that Houston would've gone to the Finals that year had he not gone down with an injury in Game 5 of the WC Finals vs the Warriors (though should be added that Igoudala was out for GS for most of that series too).

He was an All-Star as recently as 2016 (9 times in total), was All-NBA Second Team in 2016, and All-NBA Defensive First Team in 2017. Ppl forget how good he was on the Clippers, which is why Houston threw SO MUCH money at him at the time.

BUT, now he's starting to wear down. Especially come playoff-time. But he still has that bloated supermax contract.

So now he looks like a boat-anchor. Okay, yeah, but no one twisted Daryl Morey's arm and MADE him throw a four-year supermax contract at a 33-year-old point guard (they'd already had Paul for a year at that point).

I'm sure Paul feels immense pressure to perform given the money and expectations on him, and of course that's making things worse. Also, D'Antoni's 'All-Harden all-the-time' offensive system must be frustrating to play in, and not just for Paul. It kind of anesthetizes EVERYONE on the Rockets, as they're just reduced to spectators much of the time.

So, CP3 is acting out, and some of it is him and some of him are the circumstances he finds himself in. What to do? Don't know. His contract makes him unshoppable, unless there's some way for Houston to pick up part of the tab, and I don't know if there is.

Morey's probably tearing his hair out. He's such a Moneyball kind-of-guy that it must give him ulcers every day to be paying supermax to a guy who's no longer capable of earning it, especially in Houston's current system.
  • 06-20-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by .je View Post
    So, do you think the Toronto Raptors are going to be invited to the White House? :confused5:

Yes. And they still won't go.

(also, many of the Raptors are 'mericans)
  • 06-20-2019
    .je
    Quote:

Originally Posted by me View Post
    So, do you think the Toronto Raptors are going to be invited to the White House? :confused5:

Well, the POtuS responds: Trump considers inviting Toronto Raptors to White House after NBA championship win
    Quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump said he would "think about" inviting the Canadian champs to Washington.

"We thought about that, that's an interesting question," said Trump
    Such an arsehole. He didn't think of that at all. I'd expect they'd "decline" anyway, like the other team did, last year.
  • 06-20-2019
    chuckice
    Delayed sign and trade seems to be forming for KD. Very interesting.
  • 06-24-2019
    chuckice
    Everything about the Rockets is hard to digest...
    https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...s-2019-nba-mvp
  • 06-24-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Delayed sign and trade seems to be forming for KD. Very interesting.

It would be great for GS, but is Durant really going to be that nice?

All those players and picks his alleged new team would have to give up to get him would mean less of a chance of KD's new team being competitive. He'd be hurting his own shot at getting more rings.

Assuming he even leaves GS, that is. I think that's a 50-50 thing now.
  • 06-24-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Everything about the Rockets is hard to digest...

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...s-2019-nba-mvp

The Rockets are like a school on Saturday... no class. :(

And it comes from the top with them. I think they're trying to be the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA. And are succeeding.
  • 06-25-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    It would be great for GS, but is Durant really going to be that nice?

All those players and picks his alleged new team would have to give up to get him would mean less of a chance of KD's new team being competitive. He'd be hurting his own shot at getting more rings.

Assuming he even leaves GS, that is. I think that's a 50-50 thing now.

Exactly, ever since Grant Hill and the Pistons I don't think sign and trade is a thing. The Pistons got pieces and a sudden defensive stalwart that helped them win a championship (Big Ben Wallace) while Grant gimped around Orlando.

The Grant Hill trade should be a lesson to all teams when signing someone coming off of an injury, ankles and achilles are tough in the NBA.
  • 06-25-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

The Rockets are like a school on Saturday... no class. :(

And it comes from the top with them. I think they're trying to be the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA. And are succeeding.

Seriously. Just say "congrats, well deserved"... or STFU.
  • 06-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Free agency kicks off 6pm Sunday (though no contracts can actually be signed 'til July 6). Seems like a lot of major re-alignments are gonna happen this go 'round.

Should be delightfully unpredictable... if you bleed for a particular team or teams, put yer crash helmet on. :yesnod: :eek:
  • 06-28-2019
    thatsmybush
    So Lakers offloaded everyone not named Lebron, Davis, or Kuzma.

They have 32 million to play with so can max one person out yet.

Then since they have no more money they will have to find 8 stiffs to fill out their roster and hope Anthony (always misses games), 35 year old Bron Bron and insert third max player here--can play the full 48 every night for 82.
  • 06-28-2019
    chuckice
    Kyrie seems bound for Brooklyn. I'm guessing KD to Brooklyn as well. Klay back to Ws. Kawhi to Clips.

/crystalball
  • 06-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

So Lakers offloaded everyone not named Lebron, Davis, or Kuzma.

They have 32 million to play with so can max one person out yet.

Then since they have no more money they will have to find 8 stiffs to fill out their roster and hope Anthony (always misses games), 35 year old Bron Bron and insert third max player here--can play the full 48 every night for 82.

Not a Lakers fan (at all), but can't they just go deep into the luxury tax to fill out the roster?

Not that they'll get a bunch of wonderful backups (money would still be relatively limited plus their front office is obviously dysfunctional)... but, maybe something better than a bunch of total scrubs to put around their new Big Four.
  • 06-28-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

Kyrie seems bound for Brooklyn. I'm guessing KD to Brooklyn as well. Klay back to Ws. Kawhi to Clips.

/crystalball

Think you're right about Kyrie and Klay. Hope you're wrong about KD, but deep down I realize that it's at least a 50-50 chance he's g-o-n-e. :(

And Kawhi I think is very torn between staying a Raptor and going to LAC. Toronto (the city) now LOVES him in a way that few players ever get to experience. Not impossible that he stays another year or two, maybe. But it's hard to tell with him, since we don't know what kind of guy he is/he's so internalized.
  • 06-28-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

Not a Lakers fan (at all), but can't they just go deep into the luxury tax to fill out the roster?

Not that they'll get a bunch of wonderful backups (money would still be relatively limited plus their front office is obviously dysfunctional)... but, maybe something better than a bunch of total scrubs to put around their new Big Four.

I don't think you can go into the tax when you are signing new players, only re-sign players on your roster.

So if that is the case and I am pretty sure it is, (minus maybe a veteran exemption or mid-level exemption--both pretty small extras) then what you are left with is--not much.

The bigger issues is the number of teams with money. Guys that might be intriguing are now going to get 60-80 million over 4. Guys like Brogden, Reddick, Lopez are all going to command salaries that are going to have me waking up on Monday going--wha???

So the Lakers won't be able to find folks on the cheap. They need shooting and so does everybody else.
  • 06-28-2019
    thatsmybush
    My Crystal Ball.

Kyrie to the Lakers

Cousins to Knicks

Durant signs long term with Golden State with an option to trade when healthy.

Clay stays

Russell goes to Orlando

Kemba lands in Boston (Jordan has no one to blame but himself for all of the absolutely toxic contracts he has on the books). If Kemba stays it will only because the toxicity starts sloughing off after the upcoming season and they end in 2 years, so they might take the tax for a year knowing they won't be a repeat offender in year 2. Dallas is a darkhorse for his services as well.

Kawhi goes Clip/ but will hedge and say a 1and1 with Toronto is an option, but with his leg issue, I would want the four max from the clips if that is where I want to end up eventually.

Middleton stays, gets max from Bucks.

Horford to Dallas

Malcolm Brogdan is going to get super rich
  • 06-30-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

/crystalball

So far close. But whoa, Russell to Ws...
  • 07-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

My Crystal Ball.

Kyrie to the Lakers

Cousins to Knicks

Durant signs long term with Golden State with an option to trade when healthy.

Clay stays

Russell goes to Orlando

Kemba lands in Boston (Jordan has no one to blame but himself for all of the absolutely toxic contracts he has on the books). If Kemba stays it will only because the toxicity starts sloughing off after the upcoming season and they end in 2 years, so they might take the tax for a year knowing they won't be a repeat offender in year 2. Dallas is a darkhorse for his services as well.

Kawhi goes Clip/ but will hedge and say a 1and1 with Toronto is an option, but with his leg issue, I would want the four max from the clips if that is where I want to end up eventually.

Middleton stays, gets max from Bucks.

Horford to Dallas

Malcolm Brogdan is going to get super rich

Lots of hits, lots of misses there, but 'tis to be expected. This is one kray-kray free agency period, I tell u whut. :eek:
  • 07-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

So far close. But whoa, [D'Angelo] Russell to Warriors...

Blew my mind too. :eek:

But as with most good things, there was a price to pay... Iggy got shipped to Memphis. 'Cuz. Salary.

After all he's done for GS, he must be feeling like, "No good deed goes unpunished..." :cryin: