2019 NBA Playoffs

Printable View

  • 07-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I don't think you can go into the tax when you are signing new players, only re-sign players on your roster.

    So if that is the case and I am pretty sure it is, (minus maybe a veteran exemption or mid-level exemption--both pretty small extras) then what you are left with is--not much.

    Frankly, I know a lot more about the on-court stuff than the off-court... i.e., the NBA cap rules make my head hurt. :eek:

    That said, my thought process was that the Lakers could at least go into the lux tax to re-sign their more promising free agents that are eligible under the rules (they do have a few, such as KCP), while letting the duds go, and then exercise their mid-level exception to pick up one more decent guy.

    Problem is, as you noted, many of their free agents don't fit into the (many) different exceptions/rules that would allow the Lakers to go into the lux tax... so the Lakers then have a choice between getting a third max player and surrounding him with duds, or filling out the roster with quality role players (either their own or via shopping around the league) but saying 'nope' to having an awesome third superstar on the team.

    Choices, choices.


    Quote:

    The bigger issues is the number of teams with money. Guys that might be intriguing are now going to get 60-80 million over 4. Guys like Brogden, Reddick, Lopez are all going to command salaries that are going to have me waking up on Monday going--wha???

    So the Lakers won't be able to find folks on the cheap. They need shooting and so does everybody else.
    The funny thing is, there's so much money flying around that even mediocre shooters like Ricky Rubio are making out. He just scored a $51 million contract over three years with the Suns... even though he's a point guard who shoots only 31 percent from three and strikes fear into no one/provides nothing in the way of spacing (though he can pass, at least). Go figure. :skep:

    Getting back to the Lakers though, it'd be almost comical if they DID land Kawhi, as they're currently desperately trying to do.

    If they did, they'd have Davis at the 5, Kuzma at the 4, LeBron at the 3, Kawhi at the 2, and for a starting point-guard, they'd probably have to use their mid-level exception to get anyone halfway-decent (and then pray that said point-guard never ever got injured during the season).

    Everyone else? Minimum contracts, a second round pick they got in a trade (aka another minimum contract), plus Alex Caruso and maybe KCP, if KCP is willing to accept less money to stay.

    That would be a hilariously top-heavy team. :lol:

    On the plus side, yes, it's terrifying that they'd have three of the top six or seven players in the league on the same team. But on the downside, their vulnerability to injury would be severe, and in the playoffs (not to mention much of the regular season), they'd have to play all of their starters 40+ minutes a game, every game, and risk wearing them down.

    Hmm.

    Call me crazy, but maybe it'd almost be better for the Lakers if they DON'T pick up Kawhi, and instead used that $32 million in cap space they have left to pick up two or thee good role players (plus one more via the mid-level exception). Maybe KCP too.

    That could be a nice well-rounded team, with enough shooting and defense and depth to take Anthony Davis and a now-getting-kinda-old LeBron to the playoffs without wearing them down to the nub.

    But what do I know? Oh, wait... it's the Lakers front office. So basically, you, me, and half the basketball fans in America know more than they do. :lol:
  • 07-01-2019
    SystemShock
    Congrats to the Nets on adding Kyrie and KD to a talented, young up-and-coming squad. :thumbsup:

    But... why do I feel like it still won't work out somehow? Is it 'cuz Kyrie seems to be pure locker-room poison?
    Or, am I just sour-graping 'cuz GS lost KD? Or is it both? Hmm.... :idea:
    .
  • 07-01-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Congrats to the Nets on adding Kyrie and KD to a talented, young up-and-coming squad. :thumbsup:

    But... why do I feel like it still won't work out somehow? Is it 'cuz Kyrie seems to be pure locker-room poison?
    Or, am I just sour-graping 'cuz GS lost KD? Or is it both? Hmm.... :idea:
    .

    I don't know man, Russell, Curry and Clay when he comes back with a three guard offense, all can shoot all can create. Of course someone is going to have to rebound but so it goes.

    Hoping Kawhi either stays in Toronto or goes to the clips. If it either of those two the NBA is going to have 12-14 teams that are viable, not true contenders but maybe a trade or February salary dump from making a run.

    My Pistons picked up Rose for 2 years and considering their cap number, that is about as good as it was going to get. But I can see that team getting blowed up in Feb if they don't get better in a hurry. (Really like their pick at the 15 spot this year as well.)

    As for the Lakers--if they don't get Kawhi--they are toast. The second and third level cream have all been accounted for. Even Butler if it stands is in Miami, Brogdan is in Indiana, Horford, et al. They may be like an uptown version of the Knicks, sitting on a pile of cash and putting the best face on. After last weeks Rob Pelinka is a genius week from the talking heads they can go back to bashing him for being incompetent if the Kawhi thing doesn't work out.

    And as an aside why should it? Kawhi is THE MAN in the NBA, why would you go and be the third option, you don't need to ring chase, rings chase you.
  • 07-01-2019
    chuckice
    The Ws will have a new/same-old problem...they need a consistent big man. Without that they will be top tier but not a champion. Especially if the Lakers get Kawhi.

    And the Nets...meh...in the history of the league only one player has come back the same from Achilles (The Human Highlight Reel). Everyone else has been a shadow...probably the best for the Ws to not land him. Reality is also that KD is out next season and I don't think he's remotely prepared for NY media.
  • 07-01-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Blew my mind too. :eek:

    But as with most good things, there was a price to pay... Iggy got shipped to Memphis. 'Cuz. Salary.

    After all he's done for GS, he must be feeling like, "No good deed goes unpunished..." :cryin:
    .

    While I hate to see him leave...he knows better than anyone that it's a business AND he can't have much left in the tank.
  • 07-01-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    The Ws will have a new/same-old problem...they need a consistent big man. Without that they will be top tier but not a champion. Especially if the Lakers get Kawhi.

    And the Nets...meh...in the history of the league only one player has come back the same from Achilles (The Human Highlight Reel). Everyone else has been a shadow...probably the best for the Ws to not land him. Reality is also that KD is out next season and I don't think he's remotely prepared for NY media.

    Assuming Ws is the Warriors and not the Wiz (east coast bias alert) then their needing to find a reasonable rebounding big man didn't stop them from hoisting three trophies.

    Personally I cannot wait for the two most petulant players in the league to meet with reporters from the New York Daily news after a tough back to back loss. The back page headlines will be beautiful.

    Kyrie will be calling into Francesca saying "Hi this is Kyle from Brooklyn, why for the New York media being so mean to Kyrie, I'll hang up and listen."
  • 07-01-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Assuming Ws is the Warriors and not the Wiz (east coast bias alert) then their needing to find a reasonable rebounding big man didn't stop them from hoisting three trophies.

    Personally I cannot wait for the two most petulant players in the league to meet with reporters from the New York Daily news after a tough back to back loss. The back page headlines will be beautiful.

    Kyrie will be calling into Francesca saying "Hi this is Kyle from Brooklyn, why for the New York media being so mean to Kyrie, I'll hang up and listen."

    It is the Warriors. VERY different league from their first ring and the last few were with KD which negates a lot AND he has size. Steph + Klay + Russell is super small lineup...I can't see them winning without a decent/consistent big.

    Yep, I'm a NYer...the east coast media is brutal and NY/Boston by far the worst. No mercy, sweep the leg, etc. Let's see how KD reacts when he returns from injury, has a few rough starts and the headline on the NY Post is "170mil failed experiment" or some such BS.
  • 07-01-2019
    thatsmybush
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    It is the Warriors. VERY different league from their first ring and the last few were with KD which negates a lot AND he has size. Steph + Klay + Russell is super small lineup...I can't see them winning without a decent/consistent big.

    Yep, I'm a NYer...the east coast media is brutal and NY/Boston by far the worst. No mercy, sweep the leg, etc. Let's see how KD reacts when he returns from injury, has a few rough starts and the headline on the NY Post is "170mil failed experiment" or some such BS.

    I might be higher on Dangelo than many, but I think this kid could be an all NBA player and possible MVP type guy. Love this kids game and it shows just how bad the Lakers are that they looked at what he did on snapchat and sided with SwaggieP and shipped the number one off to Brooklyn.
  • 07-01-2019
    chuckice
    Realizing this is a ways off...but where exactly does Russell fit in with Steph, Klay, Draymond on the court. :puzzled:
  • 07-01-2019
    chuckice
    And in other NBA news...the Knicks....
    https://www.roundsconsulting.com/wp-...rain-Wreck.png
  • 07-02-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Realizing this is a ways off...but where exactly does Russell fit in with Steph, Klay, Draymond on the court. :puzzled:

    I think D'Angelo is a 'combo' guard, i.e. he can play either the 1 or the 2. Klay would probably move to the 3 when he comes back (which he has the size for).

    However, there's a school of thought that says the Warriors are just 'renting' Russell until Klay comes back, and that by the trade deadline in February they'll send D'Angelo off in exchange for a bunch of assets that'll be a better 'fit'. Dunno if that's true or not.

    In some unalloyed good news, GS managed to lock down Kevon Looney to a three-year, $15 million deal. And thank god, 'cuz he's been their best/most consistent big over the past couple of seasons, and the Warriors are now awful thin on bigs (Jordan Bell went to Minnesota... not that he'll be missed very much).
    .
  • 07-02-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    And in other NBA news...the Knicks....

    https://www.roundsconsulting.com/wp-...rain-Wreck.png


    LOLZ. It's funny 'cuz it's true. :lol: :skep:

    And, how hilarious was it that they thought they were going to get Kyrie and KD? Or, during the draft, Zion? Geezus. Delusional AND entitled... terrible combo.

    They are such a consistently dysfunctional, incompetent organization, they almost make the Lakers front office look good. I mean, to put out a petulant little statement just hours after KD went to the Nets saying, "Well, we weren't going to pay him the max anyway, 'cuz of the injury" is just very public sour grapes whining with no real point to it. And that type of silly BS almost always comes from the top.

    In other words, Knicks owner Jimmy Dolan really IS the cancer that has kept the franchise down for the past 20 years (and counting). And Knicks fans are absolutely correct when they implore him to do the following:


    <iframe width="512" height="288" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ap0DZFyF9d0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 07-02-2019
    SystemShock
    And the $64 bazillion dollar question remains: Where's Kawhi gonna go? :confused:

    Everyone seems to agree that it's between the Raptors, Lakers, and Clippers. Beyond that, no one really knows anything. And as behind-the-scenes negotiations drag on, Kawhi is just toying with the entire city of Los Angeles, effectively. And the entire nation of Canada. :lol: :eek:

    IOW, it's Kawhi's (basketball) world, and we're just living in it. Stay tuned.


    (Oh, and let's not forget to thank the guy who made all this possible, by needlessly alienating one of the very best players in the league):


    https://tinyurl.com/y36tlf2d
    .
  • 07-02-2019
    SystemShock
    Love this pic, don't know why:


    https://tinyurl.com/y4gk53mj
  • 07-02-2019
    chuckice
    If Looney can continue to mature the Ws could be really fun to watch at full strength.
  • 07-02-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Love this pic, don't know why:


    https://tinyurl.com/y4gk53mj

    Roflz.
  • 07-02-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    If Looney can continue to mature the Ws could be really fun to watch at full strength.

    It's a damn nice starting lineup... Curry, D'Angelo, Klay, Dray, and Looney.

    Just need to reinforce the bench. Easier said than done tho', especially with Iggy gone.
    .
  • 07-02-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    It's a damn nice starting lineup... Curry, D'Angelo, Klay, Dray, and Looney.

    Just need to reinforce the bench. Easier said than done tho', especially with Iggy gone.
    .

    Yep. Although the bench really wasn't that bad last year. The Ws basically lost everyone except Steph...that would be hard for any team to recover from.

    And looks like zero interest in Boogie...maybe he comes back for another year? Not great but I'll take his size and have him show up in camp at full strength.
  • 07-02-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    LOLZ. It's funny 'cuz it's true. :lol: :skep:

    And, how hilarious was it that they thought they were going to get Kyrie and KD? Or, during the draft, Zion? Geezus. Delusional AND entitled... terrible combo.

    They are such a consistently dysfunctional, incompetent organization, they almost make the Lakers front office look good. I mean, to put out a petulant little statement just hours after KD went to the Nets saying, "Well, we weren't going to pay him the max anyway, 'cuz of the injury" is just very public sour grapes whining with no real point to it. And that type of silly BS almost always comes from the top.

    In other words, Knicks owner Jimmy Dolan really IS the cancer that has kept the franchise down for the past 20 years (and counting). And Knicks fans are absolutely correct when they implore him to do the following:


    <iframe width="512" height="288" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ap0DZFyF9d0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    And a followup to this...I feel like there will be torches & pitchforks soon. I can't get it...they have basically nothing to show for all that cap space. Or Porzingis...etc etc.

    He's like some crazy little king....
  • 07-02-2019
    chuckice
    Wow, Caluey-Stein to Ws? That's a smart move if so...Looney + Stein rotating in. Big guys, young, quick, good screens, easy baskets.
  • 07-03-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Wow, Caluey-Stein to Ws? That's a smart move if so...Looney + Stein rotating in. Big guys, young, quick, good screens, easy baskets.

    I like it. I hope they find a way to bring back Boogie too, though that's far from certain.
    .
  • 07-03-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I like it. I hope they find a way to bring back Boogie too, though that's far from certain.
    .

    Same here and the market must be dry if he hasn't been snagged yet.
  • 07-05-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Same here and the market must be dry if he hasn't been snagged yet.

    I guess the injuries are scaring a lot of teams off. Plus centers aren't exactly in demand in the new three-happy NBA (unless they're dominant, like an Embid or Jokic), especially centers that can be a defensive liability.

    I still have this dream though where Boogie comes back to GS next season, fully rehabs the quad and Achilles, loses 20 lbs ala Draymond and improves his lateral movement/ability to guard all five positions, and proves the league wrong.

    But, it's a longshot, I know.
  • 07-05-2019
    chuckice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I guess the injuries are scaring a lot of teams off. Plus centers aren't exactly in demand in the new three-happy NBA (unless they're dominant, like an Embid or Jokic), especially centers that can be a defensive liability.

    I still have this dream though where Boogie comes back to GS next season, fully rehabs the quad and Achilles, loses 20 lbs ala Draymond and improves his lateral movement/ability to guard all five positions, and proves the league wrong.

    But, it's a longshot, I know.

    Yeah, I'm guessing Myers and Kerr had the exact same hope last season. Boogie could really lose 20 and pound the cardio.
  • 07-05-2019
    chuckice
    Kawhi + PG + good young clips team. Wow the West is crazy.