2019 NBA Playoffs - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Cat 6
    Hmmmm. Boogie to LA.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Hmmmm. Boogie to LA.
    This makes me teh sads.

LAL got to sign him for a mere $3.5 mil, which is a steal if you believe that Boogie ain't washed yet (I don't believe he is).

Can only hope that GS let him go because they were so squeezed for cash, not 'cuz they gave up on him. Would be ironic if Cousins makes 'em pay in the playoffs should LAL and GS meet.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Kawhi + PG + good young clips team. Wow the West is crazy.
    I know, right? Wow.

And Kawhi played the whole thing masterfully, really. The entire sports media was in a guessing-game frenzy, yet NONE of 'em saw the PG trade coming, and how Kawhi was going to create his own 'super-team', rather than just be second lieutenant on LeBron's.

And he STILL gets to play in his hometown of LA, and with a first-class organization/front-office, rather than the Lakers' dysfunctional one. Simply brilliant.

What makes this even funnier is that I ran into a VERY confident Lakers' fan at a gas station convenience store a few days back, who told me Kawhi to LAL was a 'DONE DEAL!!!'.

Err... nope.

On the plus side for LAL, they seem to be putting their Kawhi money to good use... Danny Green, KCP, JaVale McGee, Cousins, and probably Rondo. They'll have good depth and some decent role players to surround LeBron and AD with, as opposed to having a Big Three plus a dozen scrubs.

LAL vs LAC games next year are gonna be AWESOME. 'The Battle of LA' anyone?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    ps– Interesting subtext for all those upcoming LAL vs LAC games... 'LeBron vs the players who spurned him' (PG and Kawhi).

Has hell hath no fury like a Bron-Bron scorned?

pps– LAC 'superfan' Clipper Darrell seems pretty happy.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

And Kawhi played the whole thing masterfully, really. The entire sports media was in a guessing-game frenzy, yet NONE of 'em saw the PG trade coming, and how Kawhi was going to create his own 'super-team', rather than just be second lieutenant on LeBron's.
    Glad you enjoyed the soap opera. Don't get me wrong, the NBA loves it that way and the players love to play it that way. And the fans obviously are into it. But it's a soap opera. Combined with "Which table will he sit at during lunch NOW?"

Now that thing have shaken out and I look at who is where, it does look like next year will be full of story lines and uncertainty in terms of favorites to win it all. A good narrative shake up has been had. Lots of teams have a shot... if they gel and if they avoid injuries.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    pps– LAC 'superfan' Clipper Darrell seems pretty happy.
    I hope he's happy at the end of the season.

Beyond that, they gave up a LOT of draft picks to make it happen.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the soap opera. Don't get me wrong, the NBA loves it that way and the players love to play it that way. And the fans obviously are into it. But it's a soap opera. Combined with "Which table will he sit at during lunch NOW?"
    Sure, it is a soap opera to some extent, but what you're missing is this: LeBron, KD, and now (especially) Kawhi have really changed the balance of the power between elite athletes and management in the league.

It used to be a lot about what owners were willing to give you. Now, at least at the top level, it's about players deciding where they and their friends are going to go to compete for championships.

To wit, Kawhi did the following:

1) Walked away from a championship team (who does that?).
    2) Secretly recruited a formerly 'very happy' Paul George from OKC.
    3) Walked in and said to the Clippers, "If you want me, you'll make the Paul George trade happen. Don't CARE how much you have to give up, git 'er done."

LAC then shipped their star point guard (SGA), another good guy (Gallinari) plus a TRUCKLOAD of first-round draft picks (through 2026!!) to OKC in order to get George (and, effectively, Kawhi). GMs didn't initiate that, owners didn't initiate that, agents didn't initiate that... a couple of players did. And a team basically mortgaged its future for the next seven years in order to satisfy said players' demands.

So, the league (and the soap opera) are fundamentally a' changin'....

Now that thing have shaken out and I look at who is where, it does look like next year will be full of story lines and uncertainty in terms of favorites to win it all. A good narrative shake up has been had. Lots of teams have a shot... if they gel and if they avoid injuries.
    It is nice when the champion hasn't been all but decided on Day 1, yes.

I wouldn't call it 'parity' either though, because really, only about eight or nine teams have any kind of real shot this upcoming season (Bucks, Sixers, new-look Pacers, LAL, LAC, GS, Rockets, Denver, new-look Jazz), with half those being dark horses. But it is a lot better than it's been, where the Warriors looked basically pre-ordained every season.

It's a sea-change, basically, and I think most ppl are gonna like it.

Cat 6
    This makes me teh sads.

LAL got to sign him for a mere $3.5 mil, which is a steal if you believe that Boogie ain't washed yet (I don't believe he is).

Can only hope that GS let him go because they were so squeezed for cash, not 'cuz they gave up on him. Would be ironic if Cousins makes 'em pay in the playoffs should LAL and GS meet.
    Same here but I'm wondering if the Ws felt it was time for a bit of a fresh start + youth. If they're going to compete in the new west then they likely need to run...a lot. Wondering if they felt Boogie's days of that type speed are over...which I think they are.

Cat 6
    I know, right? Wow.

And he STILL gets to play in his hometown of LA, and with a first-class organization/front-office, rather than the Lakers' dysfunctional one. Simply brilliant.

What makes this even funnier is that I ran into a VERY confident Lakers' fan at a gas station convenience store a few days back, who told me Kawhi to LAL was a 'DONE DEAL!!!'.

Err... nope.

On the plus side for LAL, they seem to be putting their Kawhi money to good use... Danny Green, KCP, JaVale McGee, Cousins, and probably Rondo. They'll have good depth and some decent role players to surround LeBron and AD with, as opposed to having a Big Three plus a dozen scrubs.

LAL vs LAC games next year are gonna be AWESOME. 'The Battle of LA' anyone?
    It should be incredible...pretty much every west game should have meaning and the battle for LA will be a mini all-star game.

Opus was just napping
    One thing for sure Sam Presti had to go see a doctor because his erection lasted more than three hours after that trade he made.

"Hi Sam this is the Clippers what will it take to get Paul George"
    "Everything you have."
    "Okay."

They go from cap hell to near freedom, now if he is able to offload Westbrook for some assets even expiring contracts from Miami he will be set for the rebuild around a young potential all-star point guard.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Same here but I'm wondering if the Ws felt it was time for a bit of a fresh start + youth. If they're going to compete in the new west then they likely need to run...a lot. Wondering if they felt Boogie's days of that type speed are over...which I think they are.
    Maybe. But very recently, a Warriors-head friend of mine told me that word is starting to leak out that Boogie was... ahem... 'difficult' in the locker room, in direct contrast to the image he was projecting of a 'reformed' Boogie.

So, possibly there was some behind-the-scenes drama we just weren't privy to. If so, ah well.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    One thing for sure Sam Presti had to go see a doctor because his erection lasted more than three hours after that trade he made.

"Hi Sam this is the Clippers what will it take to get Paul George"
    "Everything you have."
    "Okay."

They go from cap hell to near freedom, now if he is able to offload Westbrook for some assets even expiring contracts from Miami he will be set for the rebuild around a young potential all-star point guard.
    Bwahahaha. Well said.

And maybe they really do need to trade Westbrook too. I get that he puts up triple-doubles like no one's biz, but he's also a ball-hog who can't shoot well yet insists on some nights on heaving up a couple dozen bricks no matter how many of 'em aren't goin' in.

IOW, his nickname ain't 'Westbrick' for nuthin'.

On top of that, think of the megastars who OKC's had in recent years, but who wanted out... Durant, and now Paul George. Could Westbrook be a factor in why these guys bailed? Is he locker room poison, effectively, either by selfish style of play, attitude off the court, or both? Gotta wonder.

In any case, feels like OKC has a very hard ceiling with him on the roster, and it's not that high (first round playoff exit). I'd move him in a heartbeat, but his supermax contract makes it tough.

Opus was just napping
    Bwahahaha. Well said.

And maybe they really do need to trade Westbrook too. I get that he puts up triple-doubles like no one's biz, but he's also a ball-hog who can't shoot well yet insists on some nights on heaving up a couple dozen bricks no matter how many of 'em aren't goin' in.

IOW, his nickname ain't 'Westbrick' for nuthin'.

On top of that, think of the megastars who OKC's had in recent years, but who wanted out... Durant, and now Paul George. Could Westbrook be a factor in why these guys bailed? Is he locker room poison, effectively, either by selfish style of play, attitude off the court, or both? Gotta wonder.

In any case, feels like OKC has a very hard ceiling with him on the roster, and it's not that high (first round playoff exit). I'd move him in a heartbeat, but his supermax contract makes it tough.
    I am going to defend Russell a bit here. I think we all know now that Durant is a bit of a prima donna head case so I am giving Russell a pass on that.

As for George I think he woke up in the morning with a wedding ring and a hangover wondering why he gave up LA for OKC. So when the possibility presents itself he goes. I don't think he went to Presti and said I am unhappy with Russell, I think Kawhi asked him to tell Sam Presti that he was unhappy not being in LA.

All that said, with the age, miles and the way Russell plays he has maybe 2 years left before the precipitous decline which maybe more cliff like than gradual. As I look around the league only Pat Riley and the ownership of the Heat have the nerve to put Butler and Russell together. They care nothing about the luxery tax and will flip assets as necessary even eating bad contracts because Miami likes stars.

Would love to see it personally, travel to SOBE a couple few times a year and like to hit a Heat game or two if our trip and their home games match up.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I am going to defend Russell a bit here. I think we all know now that Durant is a bit of a prima donna head case so I am giving Russell a pass on that.

As for George I think he woke up in the morning with a wedding ring and a hangover wondering why he gave up LA for OKC. So when the possibility presents itself he goes. I don't think he went to Presti and said I am unhappy with Russell, I think Kawhi asked him to tell Sam Presti that he was unhappy not being in LA.

All that said, with the age, miles and the way Russell plays he has maybe 2 years left before the precipitous decline which maybe more cliff like than gradual. As I look around the league only Pat Riley and the ownership of the Heat have the nerve to put Butler and Russell together. They care nothing about the luxery tax and will flip assets as necessary even eating bad contracts because Miami likes stars.

Would love to see it personally, travel to SOBE a couple few times a year and like to hit a Heat game or two if our trip and their home games match up.
    All that may be true, but it's still hard for me (and I think more than a few coaches and GMs) to get that stoked about a starting NBA point guard with a supermax salary who shoots 29 percent from three. That's about what well-known non-shooter Draymond Green does from the arc, and Dray's shooting follow-through on threes looks like he's having a seizure.

RW's midrange jumper isn't much better (midway through last season he was at 35 percent), and Russ is even having a hard time shooting free throws these days... he's down to 65 percent.

Defense? He can play good D when he wants to, which isn't that often. He seems to prioritize his energy for offense, instead of being a true two-way player.

Passing? He does avg over 10 assists a game, which is fantastic... except for the fact that, as a mediocre-to-poor shooter, he should be passing even more, instead of heaving up 20.2 shots a night (his current avg).

Russ is just an odd case... he puts up great stats that only partially mask the fact that he's actually a pretty inefficient and selfish player a lot of the time. OKC has noticeably underperformed relative to their talent level, and I think he's a big part of why.

Overrated? Yeah, probably. And more like the fourth- or fifth-best PG in the league now, stats n' all.

Last edited by SystemShock; 1 Week Ago at 06:49 AM.

Cat 6
    Maybe. But very recently, a Warriors-head friend of mine told me that word is starting to leak out that Boogie was... ahem... 'difficult' in the locker room, in direct contrast to the image he was projecting of a 'reformed' Boogie.

So, possibly there was some behind-the-scenes drama we just weren't privy to. If so, ah well.
    That certainly seems plausible. I can imagine he's a challenge when things aren't going his way.

Cat 6
    All that may be true, but it's still hard for me (and I think more than a few coaches and GMs) to get that stoked about a starting NBA point guard with a supermax salary who shoots 29 percent from three. That's about what well-known non-shooter Draymond Green does from the arc, and Dray's shooting follow-through on threes looks like he's having a seizure.

RW's midrange jumper isn't much better (midway through last season he was at 35 percent), and Russ is even having a hard time shooting free throws these days... he's down to 65 percent.

Defense? He can play good D when he wants to, which isn't that often. He seems to prioritize his energy for offense, instead of being a true two-way player.

Passing? He does avg over 10 assists a game, which is fantastic... except for the fact that, as a mediocre-to-poor shooter, he should be passing even more, instead of heaving up 20.2 shots a night (his current avg).

Russ is just an odd case... he puts up great stats that only partially mask the fact that he's actually a pretty inefficient and selfish player a lot of the time. OKC has noticeably underperformed relative to their talent level, and I think he's a big part of why.

Overrated? Yeah, probably. And more like the fourth- or fifth-best PG in the league now, stats n' all.

All that I def agree with...and all I can add is that Russ + Steph are top2 in the league for fun to watch when they're hot imo.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Thoughts on this whole free agency period:

- Jerry West continues to be the best executive in the history of the NBA
    - Presti has incredible confidence in his ability to draft and develop players. he's a perfect fit for OKC and that small market.
    - The Clippers will be formidable. On both sides of the ball.
    - Pacers did a quietly great job of building a contender. if Olidepo comes back strong, by the end of the season, no one is going to want to play them.
    - Warriors may only be the 5th best team in the west especially until Klay comes back. 2020 may be a really down year.
    - Ainge seems to have wasted a ton of dry powder. and it appears that Stevens support of Heyward, coupled with Kyrie's dysfunction, blew up that team that had so much potential.
    - If Simmons develops any kind of jump-shot he's willing to take, & if Embid would cut down on the junk food and stay in shape, the 76'ers could be scary good. I'm not banking on either though.
    - The West is 8 teams deep, the East is maybe 3.
    - Not sure I would have done what the Nets did. Betting on a dysfunctional point guard and a player coming off an Achilles tear that won;t pay off at the earliest next year and more likely 2 years is pretty risky IMO.

After everything though, I never would have guessed that all this would result in more parity, not less. I'm personally glad that there isn't a team like the last few years Warriors, I think it makes it more interesting.

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Home cook'n: Both PG and KL SoCal homeboys

Jerry West = All Cosmos on and off the court with exclusive rights as the NBA Logo player (who ever made that decision had vision).
    Last edited by troutmd; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 AM.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Opus was just napping
    I agree that West is very very good and being that he is in the Clippers front office means he probably dictates differently then if he were at the Lakers.

But that being said. Giving up that many picks is outrageous for Paul George (yea I know it was a package deal with Kawhi).

But here is the kicker and it may become a lesson for Brooklyn and the Clippers and however trades for Westbrook. Beware of what you wish for.

You have Kawhi -- yes best player in the league -- but, missed an entire season with his leg, is already in load management, and if not for being in the playoffs--he would have been sat with that same bad leg. It may be chronic, or at best recurring for the rest of his career.

Paul George--both shoulders worked on in the offseason--rod in his leg, never a Mr. Big shot and Playoff P seems to only last one game in the post season so choose that game wisely.

Kyrie--largely locker room cancer--may get worse on a young team, which he will have to lead before KD comes back--has had his knees worked on any number of times and couldn't stay healthy going all the way back to Duke. And--I think most would say he quit during the playoff series vs. the Bucks.

KD--achilles and age. Paying for four maybe getting two? Who knows how he comes back...

One or more of these players from either their fragile psyche or their fragile and or aging bodies is going to bite their team on the arse. If that happens there is no plan B especially for the clippers, they have nothing to build with.

Again recognize the risks that these teams feel they had to make...but the downside is so crippling. This isn't getting a 26 year old Lebron when he went to the Heat.

These folks have purchased quality tires that have a lot of mileage on them and they are entering a very rough road.

Cat 6
    Paul for Westbrook. Harden + Westbrook...get yer popcorn.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Paul for Westbrook. Harden + Westbrook...get yer popcorn.
    Yeah, that will be interesting... who's gonna be point guard? If Houston's smart, that'll be Harden, with Westbrick moving to the two-guard position.

Ah well, at least they're former teammates, so they should get along. That is, until Westbrick gets mad 'cuz he's not being given the green-light to heave up 20-25 (bad) shots a night.

Or at least it'd be very surprising if analytics-driven Morey and D'Antonio let him do that, anyway. It COULD be a really good backcourt if Russ can accept playing differently/having a different role.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I hope [Clipper Darrell's] happy at the end of the season.

Beyond that, they gave up a LOT of draft picks to make it happen.
    Yup, but that seems to be par for the course now... teams who want to be contenders trading the future for the present.

IOW, more and more often going forward, superstars won't willingly go to teams that aren't willing to do that... 'cuz teams won't be able to be successful contenders unless they do.

So teams will be very cyclical and binary going forward, being either completely 'all-in' on winning now, or being in total rebuild mode/recovering from their 'all-in' years.

Yes, it's always been somewhat that way, but not like it's becoming now. Never seen anyone give up as many draft picks as the Clips just did.

And the Lakers gave up an eff-ton of their future to get AD, too.

Opus was just napping
    West is so stacked that FINALLY, the NBA will have to do something about late night games on the East Coast--some of these games are just going to have to start earlier and that goes double for the playoffs.

Westbrook and Harden 2 highest usage rates in the league over the past few seasons, it will be interesting how they share. I disagree with moving Westbrook to the 2 he does not shoot well enough to be a late clock catch and shoot guy. He is a slasher and creator. If they are smart Russel runs the team by going fast everyone spaces and quick kicks lead to a ton of open looks for Harden and Gordon.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    West is so stacked that FINALLY, the NBA will have to do something about late night games on the East Coast--some of these games are just going to have to start earlier and that goes double for the playoffs.
    West is cray-cray stacked now. Never seen it like this. WTF??

(and can you imagine if KD had stayed? it's like, 'why even bother to have an Eastern Conf now?)

Westbrook and Harden 2 highest usage rates in the league over the past few seasons, it will be interesting how they share. I disagree with moving Westbrook to the 2 he does not shoot well enough to be a late clock catch and shoot guy. He is a slasher and creator. If they are smart Russel runs the team by going fast everyone spaces and quick kicks lead to a ton of open looks for Harden and Gordon.
    My fear is that Westbrick at the 1 will do what Westbrick at the 1 tends to do... make bad decisions, such as playing too much hero ball and putting up too many shots he can't make. At the 2 at least he can't do as much damage. And he can still be a 'catch and slash' guy, or run some nice pick n' rolls with Harden (Russ is beefy for a guard).

If he does end up at the 1, he'd better be disciplined and be the consistent unselfish passer/playmaker Houston hopes he'll be. I think that's the only way to overcome the fact that his defender is always going to be sagging back to the paint, 'cuz Russ can't shoot...

He's also gonna have to play better defense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First there was March Madness and now this.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789