29 and done - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 and done

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Most kids think so....there are very few ways to, realistically, ever amass that kind of money (legally)....other than the literal lottery.
    I think you two are over estimating the role that money plays in deciding to play football or not.

"Most kids" who play know they have no realistic chance of ever earning a penny but still do.

And I think a lot of NFLers are probably playing in large part because they get something from the game that can't be replaced off the field.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think you two are over estimating the role that money plays in deciding to play football or not.

"Most kids" who play know they have no realistic chance of ever earning a penny but still do.

And I think a lot of NFLers are probably playing in large part because they get something from the game that can't be replaced off the field.
    Off the field, running toward another person, then leaping 4 feet in the air and coming down with all 300 pounds of your body weight on that person is frowned upon.

I read an article about Luck in which he said he was tired of having 300 pound guys landing on top of him six times per game.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Off the field, running toward another person, then leaping 4 feet in the air and coming down with all 300 pounds of your body weight on that person is frowned upon.

I read an article about Luck in which he said he was tired of having 300 pound guys landing on top of him six times per game.
    That's true.

"off the field" might have been a bad word choice to say what I really wanted to. "without playing" might have been the better way. yes there is a high from playing on the field but there's also the prestige and perks that come along with playing.

My general point is that a lot of people think about a lot more than salary when deciding to play or not.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Interesting story in today's news about Rob Gronkowski, who retired from football for reasons similar to Luck's. I bet we start to see more and more of this, with players realizing that playing in the NFL for a prolonged time might just not be worth it. Here's the Gronkowski story:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-bringing-down
    Yeah, he's got a new job hawking CBD

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I think you are just starting to see the death of American football. Within a decade, few high schools will offer football due to CTE damage. As the high school player pool disappears, so will college teams, followed by pro football. I'd bet that football will be essentially extinct in 25 years.
    I'm not a rabid football fan, but I do like to watch the games occasionally. It can be a fun game to watch and I don't see an erosion of the fan base, but along the player lines, you might be right. At my kid's high school, its the only sport that's not competitive to get on the team. Anyone who wants to play gets on the team. Supply isn't keeping up with demand. I do think that they will figure out some way to make it safer because the fan base is there and there's lots of money to be made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'm not a rabid football fan, but I do like to watch the games occasionally. It can be a fun game to watch and I don't see an erosion of the fan base, but along the player lines, you might be right. At my kid's high school, its the only sport that's not competitive to get on the team. Anyone who wants to play gets on the team. Supply isn't keeping up with demand. I do think that they will figure out some way to make it safer because the fan base is there and there's lots of money to be made.
    I think at the youth level, tackle football will eventually die out, to be replaced with flag football at much diminished status/importance. I probably speak for a lot of parents when I say I would strongly discourage my son from playing tackle football.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I think at the youth level, tackle football will eventually die out, to be replaced with flag football at much diminished status/importance. I probably speak for a lot of parents when I say I would strongly discourage my son from playing tackle football.
    I have to agree. I certainly didn't encourage my kids to play tackle football. They did and are still doing baseball and basketball. At least the younger one is doing baseball still. And he's a rabid fan of it. There's a Nationals game on at the house every evening. Much as I like the game, its really ripe for some changes. 3+ hours is just too damn long. They swept the Cubs this weekend, and I don't think any of the games went less than 4 hours.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, he's got a new job hawking CBD
    He's gotta earn a living somehow. Partying all the time with super models is expensive!

RoadBikeReview Member
    We can't all be kickers....
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Soccer is overtaking Pop Warner here as we speak.

https://centerpointmedical.com/about...-football-here

Yet soccer didn't evolve until centuries after the Gladiators, so it may be that some people are "hard wire" for watching violent, err, entertainment activities, and this is part of the genetic fabric of humanity.

Nevertheless, as others has alluded to, some people make decisions for other reasons then their health, quality of a long life and economics.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

wots...uh the deal?
    29? Jim Brown walked away while he could still walk. At 30, with all those records and many claims to "greatest ever"

Did his retirement spark anything? not really.
    (ok, he 'went to films', but I always heard he went before he was too damaged)

Very surprised that he has not been brought up already in a conversation like this.
    (but I'm so over american football and also it's "fans")

Rub it............
    I played football in high school, not for the chance to go to college, play there, then try and make it to the NFL, but because I love all kinds of sports.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another NFL early [29] retirement

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/20...t-mood-swings/
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I just find myself caring less and less about football year after year, and I think CTE is a big part of why. I dont want anyone to become a mental vegetable for my entertainment.

That, and the Were a PASSING league!! stuff and rule changes that makes the game less interesting not more. I dont think the game itself is quite as good as it used to be. Not that even a great game could really justify what football does to its players over the long-haul.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    I get the context in which you say 'early' and you're right. But the other way to look at it is that after 9 seasons it's a late retirement.

Either way of looking at it does not speak well for the game when we are talking about someone who didn't lose the talent, get cut or have one single fluke injury that stopped his career.

It's hard to know what to make about average career length statistics. There's some who decide to hang it up, and there are some who have that decision made for them by not making a team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Football is a fools game.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Football is a fools game.
    Ask that one directly and this may happen.

Seat's not level
    In colorado NICA, the high school mountain bike league, is growing fast. Last weekend they saw almost 1400 riders race. https://www.nationalmtb.org/

https://coloradomtb.org/
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    In colorado NICA, the high school mountain bike league, is growing fast. Last weekend they saw almost 1400 riders race. https://www.nationalmtb.org/

https://coloradomtb.org/
    Cool. Lacrosse has been putting a big dent in traditional American sport participation too. In the NorthEast anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Yep, that sure could happen, but it doesn't make it any less true.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Cool. Lacrosse has been putting a big dent in traditional American sport participation too. In the NorthEast anyway.
    Lacrosse is the oldest American sports and it hasn't grown much in all those centuries. I played in high school and was hearing about it being "the fastest growing sports". All these years later, if you say "Lacrosse" outside of north east US, people will go "Huh?"

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Yeah, I remember that. The roided-up angry wrestler guy allegedly got fired a couple of weeks later for taking a swing at Mr. T (who was booked to appear in Wrestlemania or something).

That said, Stossel (the reporter) also allegedly was being a jerk prior to the slap, i.e. not all of the interview appears in the vid. Given his rather obnoxious persona on Faux News in later years, I believe it.

Oh, and wrestling IS fake. I think even the WWE acknowledges it now.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Yeah, I remember that. The roided-up angry wrestler guy allegedly got fired a couple of weeks later for taking a swing at Mr. T (who was booked to appear in Wrestlemania or something).
    Oh, and wrestling IS fake. I think even the WWE acknowledges it now.
    In that case... talk show hosting is real.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A Class Act

Russian Troll Farmer
    Lacrosse is the oldest American sports and it hasn't grown much in all those centuries. I played in high school and was hearing about it being "the fastest growing sports". All these years later, if you say "Lacrosse" outside of north east US, people will go "Huh?"
    Around where I grew up, it was mostly the suburban 'preppy' schools which had the better lacrosse teams......until the state championships where they had their @$$es handed to them by the teams on the native reservations......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast