29 and done
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 and done

RoadBikeReview Member

29 and done

Andrew Luck's annoucement, NFL reitrement at 29, was both surprising and discussin-worth.

Given physicality of the sport and the long-term impact on the body, my take is legacy is now just as much about brain cells and body parts saved as it is championships won and statistical milestones achieved.

While I am sadded to see Luck leave the Colts, I can't help but think his "I'm out of here early" decsion may have a ripple effect upon future career choices by NFL players.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    It was surprising? Statistically, his "career" was 30% longer than average (for the whole NFL...not just best performing clubs) for QBs and almost double for some position. People forget how damaging American football is to the body--and forget just how short the average "career" is in that business. Yes, I use finger quotes because calling something that lasts all of 3-4 years a "career" is rather nutso.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...otball-league/

Young men with wrecked bodies is par for the course in that sport.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Darling of The Lounge
    Playing in the NFL is especially rough on the knees these days from all that kneeling during the national anthem.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I think early retirement will be increasing. Luck made 97 million bucks already. I agree with him. Time to stop living a life of pain and injury and start enjoying the money.

There are plenty of young and talented players coming out of college who can step into any position vacated by a retiring player.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I don't blame Luck. He was always hurt, and even if he'd gotten and stayed healthy, there's always CTE to worry about.

Take the millions and run... at 29, the world's his oyster.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I thought this was about someone buying a 29'er bicycle and be done with deciding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I don't blame Luck. He was always hurt, and even if he'd gotten and stayed healthy, there's always CTE to worry about.

Take the millions and run... at 29, the world's his oyster.
    $60,000 as the weekly retirement check vs. post-traumatic NFL health issues is a no brainier for me.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suppose the question is "What is there to discuss?"

Football is a BRUTAL sport, with a 3 year average lifespan for a player. Your body takes an incredible amount of punishment well beyond the listed injuries. They wake up every day taking 30+ minutes just to get out of bed from the pain of practice alone.

It's a game of get in, get your money and get out!

All players are well aware of CTE and are scared to death of it ... because it will cause death among other issues. They can see the affects on the veterans already and have heard all about it while playing in Pee-Wee, high school, college, etc. They know what's coming and are trying to minimize the damages while making as much money as possible before it's their time to get out.

Pro Football has a BIG problem ... their push for bigger, faster, stronger is doing so much damage to all the players they don't last and the stars are leaving while they can still spell "CAT". Youth players are gravitating to other sports that are less brutal and they are going to run into a talent shortage in the not to distant future.

Luck made the correct call ... take the money, invest it wisely and RUN!!!
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    I suppose the question is "What is there to discuss?"

Football is a BRUTAL sport, with a 3 year average lifespan for a player. Your body takes an incredible amount of punishment well beyond the listed injuries. They wake up every day taking 30+ minutes just to get out of bed from the pain of practice alone.

It's a game of get in, get your money and get out!

All players are well aware of CTE and are scared to death of it ... because it will cause death among other issues. They can see the affects on the veterans already and have heard all about it while playing in Pee-Wee, high school, college, etc. They know what's coming and are trying to minimize the damages while making as much money as possible before it's their time to get out.

Pro Football has a BIG problem ... their push for bigger, faster, stronger is doing so much damage to all the players they don't last and the stars are leaving while they can still spell "CAT". Youth players are gravitating to other sports that are less brutal and they are going to run into a talent shortage in the not to distant future.

Luck made the correct call ... take the money, invest it wisely and RUN!!!
    It isn't really a push. American Football is actually much more tame than it used to be. Small comfort though that is.

The NCAA was founded at the behest of Teddy Roosevelt, in 1906, because 2 dozen college kids were KILLED on field during normal regulation play in one season....with one expressed goal--making the sport safe to play. It instantly became a toothless well-intentioned but spineless oversight organization, where financiers worried a safer sport would sell less tickets--so they did what they could to keep it from having any real power.

Master debator.
    Glad he was still coherent enough to make an excellent decision. You just know that he'll use his money wisely and not piss it away like many other's have done. I hope he enjoys himself!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    When I played football in high school, after you got knocked out cold, the concussion protocol was the following:

1. Wave smelling salts under the kid's nose. If the kid wakes up, proceed to 2.

2. Hold up some fingers and ask the kid how many fingers you're holding up. If the answer is correct, proceed to 3.

3. Ask the kid what day of the week it is. If the answer is correct, proceed to 4.

4. Tell the kid to get up and get back in there and put a hurt the kid who knocked him out.

Proud luddite
    Sorry to see Luck leave the league but I can't blame him, and must respect his decision. I can just speculate on how great he could have been, had he had decent pass protection for most of his career. Maybe could have been one of the all-time greats, but sustaining way too many sacks/hits took its toll on him and shortened his career. He finally had a decent o-line last year, and statistically had a great season...just a glimmer of what could have been for him.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm predicting the anointed one on the Eagles, Carson Wentz, isn't far behind Luck with the early retirement.

Wentz is 26 and hasn't had a complete injury free season since he was in college. Although I get yelled at by other eagles fans for saying this, I believe Wentz will have another season ending injury this season. Last year it was a broken back. The year before that, a shredded knee. And the iggles O line doesn't actually suck.

Hi
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Sorry to see Luck leave the league but I can't blame him, and must respect his decision. I can just speculate on how great he could have been, had he had decent pass protection for most of his career. Maybe could have been one of the all-time greats, but sustaining way too many sacks/hits took its toll on him and shortened his career. He finally had a decent o-line last year, and statistically had a great season...just a glimmer of what could have been for him.
    Yep.. a generational talent wasted by poor management by the Colts. That karma will come back and bite them in the ass I bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    When I played football in high school, after you got knocked out cold, the concussion protocol was the following:

1. Wave smelling salts under the kid's nose. If the kid wakes up, proceed to 2.

2. Hold up some fingers and ask the kid how many fingers you're holding up. If the answer is correct, proceed to 3.

3. Ask the kid what day of the week it is. If the answer is correct, proceed to 4.

4. Tell the kid to get up and get back in there and put a hurt the kid who knocked him out.
    Indeed. Any some of the kids subjected to that protocol went on to an early death from CTE and other football related brain injury. Thousands more suffered needlessly later in life.

Luck is smart to quit while he's ahead and in one piece.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Indeed. Any some of the kids subjected to that protocol went on to an early death from CTE and other football related brain injury. Thousands more suffered needlessly later in life.

Luck is smart to quit while he's ahead and in one piece.
    Interesting story in today's news about Rob Gronkowski, who retired from football for reasons similar to Luck's. I bet we start to see more and more of this, with players realizing that playing in the NFL for a prolonged time might just not be worth it. Here's the Gronkowski story:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-bringing-down

Russian Troll Farmer
    I think you are just starting to see the death of American football. Within a decade, few high schools will offer football due to CTE damage. As the high school player pool disappears, so will college teams, followed by pro football. I'd bet that football will be essentially extinct in 25 years.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    * Average US male life expectancy - 78
    * Average NFL life expectancy - 54.5
    * Average NFL annual salary - $500,000
    * Average NFL career - 3 years

Question: Is the potential of shortening your life 23.5 years worth $1.5 million?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    * Average US male life expectancy - 78
    * Average NFL life expectancy - 54.5
    * Average NFL annual salary - $500,000
    * Average NFL career - 3 years

Question: Is the potential of shortening your life 23.5 years worth $1.5 million?
    Most kids think so....there are very few ways to, realistically, ever amass that kind of money (legally)....other than the literal lottery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Most kids think so....there are very few ways to, realistically, ever amass that kind of money (legally)....other than the literal lottery.
    Maybe you are correct.

Then again over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million, while those with a bachelor's degree will earn, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree will earn $2.5 million. So others may believe getting a good education and pursuing a professional career results in more money and a longer life is the enlighten career path.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Maybe you are correct.

Then again over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million, while those with a bachelor's degree will earn, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree will earn $2.5 million. So others may believe getting a good education and pursuing a professional career results in more money and a longer life is the enlighten career path.
    Depends on the career. Lots of people have degrees and a mountain of debt and poor career options to pay it back.

I suspect, like average incomes...those figures are greatly inflated by a handful of people working high finance and or big tech jobs...jobs that only exist in the most expensive cities in the USA to live in, where you need $200,000/year for each of two spouses and you will get laughed out of a bank for asking for a mortgage for a house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on the career. Lots of people have degrees and a mountain of debt and poor career options to pay it back.

I suspect, like average incomes...those figures are greatly inflated by a handful of people working high finance and or big tech jobs...jobs that only exist in the most expensive cities in the USA to live in, where you need $200,000/year for each of two spouses and you will get laughed out of a bank for asking for a mortgage for a house.
    Here is the report where the numbers above came from. Enjoy.

https://www.thoughtco.com/lifetime-e...42.5%20million.

Opus was just napping
    Just so happy that it wasn't the Lions that destroyed this guys career.
    Indianapolis...Welcome to the party pal!

Say hi to Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson while you enjoy your early retirement.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    $5k a year savings into the stock market will be worth ~$1.5 million in 40 years. Quite realistic, but few have the discipline.

Seat's not level
    Gary Kubiak was John Elway's backup for years. I think he was the smart one. Didn't play very often, but performed well when he did. Didn't take nearly all the hits. Studied the game and walked away from playing with his health. Walked right into a lucrative coaching job. Made good money and still had his health.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast