RoadBikeReview Member

3D printer advice

I'm part of a 501(c)(3) fundraising group that has long been at odds with our beneficiary. The membership has had enough and wants to dissolve the corporation and close our bank account, which has a mid-five-figure balance.

A member suggested donating a 3D printer to our beneficiary, which could then make it available to the community. I'm looking at a Makerbot Replicator+. I know only a little about these machines iand would like suggestions for a donation, including supplies and software. The recipient already has computers available, though if a powerful PC is helpful then please advise.

The community is quite wealthy and well-educated. Intended users would be teenagers and up.

Thanks.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I will offer some general advice from my limited experience through my 12 year old son. I recently bought him a printer at a much lower price level than what youíre looking at. We have already experienced some mechanical issues that I havenít yet had time to help him work through.

Before we got him the printer he used the printer at the local public library and the local university. Before you spend the money on the donation, youíll want to make sure the infrastructure to support it is in place. Factors to consider:

- It takes several hours (up to 12-16) to print a project.
    - A knowledgeable person needs to be involved to supervise the printing, fix problems, etc.
    - Consumables- occasional need for spare parts, the plastic spools with various types of plastic for different applications. I bought the plastic from https://www.makeshaper.com/ for my son and pleased with it.

I donít think a special computer should be required. My son made his designs on a Mac and then would take to the library on an SD card. Once there was some kind of issue and he emailed the file to the printer supervisor.

Hope that helps. Iím sure others more knowledgeable will provide more detailed info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    You don't need a high powered system. You can design things on an ipad. The printing is handled by the printer itself, you just supply (either via network, or USB) the design files.

As noted above, they can be slow, just depends on the complexity of the project. They are finicky. And depending on the projects, not exactly cost effective.. lots of cheap trinkets that you can buy at a dollar store would cost $$ to 3d print

What is the intended purpose, what services does/did the non profit offer (is it a maker space? hacker space? what)..

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    You don't need a high powered system. You can design things on an ipad. The printing is handled by the printer itself, you just supply (either via network, or USB) the design files.
    Yea you could just use a flash drive. Works just like any regular printer.

Very large parts could see file sizes around 20mb. Small parts 2-3" are only 3-4mb.
    Heck, high resolution photos or graphic art files can be over 20mb on a regular printer.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    What is the intended purpose, what services does/did the non profit offer (is it a maker space? hacker space? what)..
    The intended purpose is for us to close up shop. I prefer not to describe the recipient -- yes, things are that bad and they sometimes communicate with us through their lawyer -- but they are a community recreational/cultural institution. I figure we'd donate enough supplies to keep the printer going for a while. They've previously thrown out furniture, etc. we've donated so I don't have great hope for this gift, either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    The intended purpose is for us to close up shop. I prefer not to describe the recipient -- yes, things are that bad and they sometimes communicate with us through their lawyer -- but they are a community recreational/cultural institution. I figure we'd donate enough supplies to keep the printer going for a while. They've previously thrown out furniture, etc. we've donated so I don't have great hope for this gift, either.
    Well, in that case, donate the cash to a food bank or homeless shelter or something (I'm guessing you can't.. but they seem like douches)

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe this is a viable alternative if feasible. I use an online 3d print service. https://www.shapeways.com/
    Their 3d printers are far more advanced than anything you could buy and have many material options. Plastic, metal, gold/jewlery https://www.shapeways.com/materials
    Rather than buying a printer, you could buy a whole bunch of gift cards for them to use/hand out. https://www.shapeways.com/gifts/cards

Cool thing about that is if they've created something useful they can create an online store and sell their stuff.

15% discount for students https://www.shapeways.com/education
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V