6' via squirt gun - too militant?
    RoadBikeReview Member

6' via squirt gun - too militant?

Saw a story of a priest using a squirt gun to shoot holy water on believers, keeping social distance. Biblically, a squirt gun is an anachronism, but he was thinking safety.

Got me thinking of how to deal with oblivious walking, running, or riding oafs who don't give a 6' or so distance as cyclists go by in semi confined areas like bike paths. Even when it's just a them mater them not 3-abreast and moving over a little as a masked rider swerves for space.

Not saying that i have/have not marked anyone as i ride by armed with my non-threatening toy squirt gun. Need to work on my accuracy when peeing to load up my squirt gun, it's a skill. (I won't call it holy water.) Is a little squirt on the lower leg of the oblivious at about dog-peeing height crossing some line?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You're better off to start coughing when you approach. If that doesn't get their attention and give you wide berth...

You could also try spitting on the ground or clearing your nose after you pass them. It will be a warning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The way I look at this is that if I'm passing them they're in my vaper trail, I'm not in theirs. It seems that they're putting themselves at more risk than they're putting me.

As far as a squirt gun, I wouldn't point one at a stranger as 1st someone may point a real gun back or 2nd the police may make a formal introduction, which may al involve real guns being used.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Put lighter fluid in the gun and toss in a lit match... that is how the church did it OG style...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why would you even ride on a bike path KNOWING it's impossible to give 6' distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Is a little squirt on the lower leg of the oblivious at about dog-peeing height crossing some line?
    Yes. It's a pretty stupid idea. You could likely face criminal charges.

In pretty much every State it would meet the definition of assault and/or battery. "Battery" and "Assault" sound like violent crimes but they're not. A battery is any physical contact with another person, to which that person has not consented. An assault is basically an attempt at a battery.

Actions that intentionally make someone feel threatened falls within the definition of harassment. And the charge of disorderly conduct works as a legal catch-all to cover inappropriate conduct that doesn't fall neatly into another category.

There are MANY legal cases of people being arrested and charged with squirting people.

Sec. 13 BATTERY: HARMFUL CONTACT
    An actor is subject to liability to another for battery if:
    he acts intending to cause a harmful or offensive contact with the person of the other or a third person or am imminent apprehension of such a contact and
    an harmful contact with the person of the other directly or indirectly results.

Sec. 18 BATTERY: OFFENSIVE CONTACT
    An actor is subject to liability to another for battery if:
    he acts intending to cause a harmful or offensive contact with the person of the other or a third person or am imminent apprehension of such a contact and
    an offensive contact with the person of the other directly or indirectly results.

Indirect battery has been found when blowing smoke at a person was intentional and has particulate matter capable of contact.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Eddy 53:11
    If yer on a MUT and concerned about someone's covid contrail, HTFU.

So sayith Teh Lounge.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Put lighter fluid in the gun and toss in a lit match... that is how the church did it OG style...

When I was in the Boy Scouts one of ours had the grand idea to fill a super soaker with Coleman Fuel and spray it around the fire. I was there but not nearby and didn't get to witness the fireworks first hand, but was told they were impressive. The adults' spidey senses must have been tingling because they came by and quickly put an end to the fun. That was the last in a long list of stunts that boy did, and he was asked not to come to scout camps any more.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, it's a better idea than holy-water-filled balloons....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"